Greater Daemon

Troops
1 Aspiring Sorceror, 8x Thousand Sons
Doombolt, Personal Icon - 259 + Rhino with Extra Armor, Combimelta = 319

1 Aspiring Sorceror, 8 x Thousand Sons
Bolt of Change, Personal Icon - 274 + Rhino with Extra Armor, Combimelta = 334

10x Chaos Space Marines
Aspiring Champion w/ Combi-melta, Power Fist, melta bombs
Icon of Tzeentch, 1x plasma, 1x meltagun = 270 + Rhino w/ Extra-Armor, Combimelta = 330

Elites
9x Chosen
Mark of Tzeentch, 5x meltaguns = 212

5x Terminators
Mark of Tzeentch, 3x combi-meltas, 1x Champion = 210

Heavy Support
1x Vindicator, Daemon Possession = 150

1x Defiler, 2x CC weapons = 150

TOTAL: 2,000

This is a semi-competitive list I've been playing at my gaming store for a while, and it's had a pretty good run.

My overall "strategy" (I try not plan before battle, not much. Too easy to get thrown off if it doesn't work. Improvisation wins games, imo :) ) is to keep my opponent focused on my tough-to-kill Thousand Sons by gunning them towards objectives - they usually get the ones that aren't in cover, since they bring their own. I hold my Vindicator, Terminators, and Daemon Prince in reserve - my vindicator so that my opponent can't pop it on the first turn, my Terminators so I can apply the melta-shots where they're needed most, and my Daemon Prince so that I can have a heavy hitter deploy wherever I need it to.

My Chosen outflank, hopefully (this is a Tzeentch list, after all. Risk is the name of the game!) onto either an objective, or to within melta range of some heavy armor. They're actually really good at simply funneling my opponents away from the board edges, so it makes it easier for my to deal with my enemy en masse rather than all over the board, which this list wouldn't be good with.

The Defiler exists to absorb enemy fire. I try my best to keep him behind cover, but it hasn't been working too well. He usually blows up before something bad happens to the enemy. Considering swapping him out for two obliterators, but that just doesn't feel Tzeentchian to me. Maybe a Las-Pred?

If all goes well for me, my Greater Daemon isn't available to enter from reserve until after my Terminators have Deep-struck - so I put them in the middle of my opponent's force with 2+/4++, pop a tank, and then if all goes well, next turn the one Champion explodes into a Greater Daemon who then summarily gets locked in combat and kills things.

Thoughts? Comments?

Mr. Smith
07-11-2010, 10:18 PM
Cool. I love Tzeentch style lists. Couple questions:

Why doombolt on one of your aspiring sorcerers?

Why a unit of regular marines? What is their purpose in your list?

What is the purpose of the chosen and Terminators? What is their purpose?

Same thing with the Vindicator and Defiler?

You have a lot of melta guns handy but what happens when you deal with a horde list?

Connjurus
07-11-2010, 11:59 PM
It was the only power I could still afford, as far as I was aware. *shrug*

The regular marines are there to deal grab the in-cover objectives, as well as provide a disposable champion for the Greater Daemon to come in through, as well as providing me with more AP1/AP2 weapons.

The Chosen and the Terminators are both there to afford me more tactical flexibility - and keep my opponent guessing. The Chosen outflank or infiltrate - usually outflank - and meltagun the crap out of something, or grab an objective. Also, considering dropping the points on other things to make one of the Chosen a Champion so I can infiltrate in with an icon/fodder for Greater Daemon.

The Terminators deepstrike in with 4++'s, melta the crap out of some stuff, and suck up firepower for a turn.

The Vindi and the Defiler are both drop 5" templates on stuff, with the Vindi always being able to shoot short of being weapon destroyed/wrecked, and the Defiler the same, with the added bonus of being able to wreck things in CC. I figure if anyone knows how to bind Daemons to vehicles, it'd be the followers of Tzeentch.

Do you have any suggestions? I'd love to hear them.

Oh, also, the regular marines are also there to get "stuck-in".

Mr. Smith
07-12-2010, 08:35 AM
It was the only power I could still afford, as far as I was aware. *shrug*

The regular marines are there to deal grab the in-cover objectives, as well as provide a disposable champion for the Greater Daemon to come in through, as well as providing me with more AP1/AP2 weapons.

The Chosen and the Terminators are both there to afford me more tactical flexibility - and keep my opponent guessing. The Chosen outflank or infiltrate - usually outflank - and meltagun the crap out of something, or grab an objective. Also, considering dropping the points on other things to make one of the Chosen a Champion so I can infiltrate in with an icon/fodder for Greater Daemon.

The Terminators deepstrike in with 4++'s, melta the crap out of some stuff, and suck up firepower for a turn.

The Vindi and the Defiler are both drop 5" templates on stuff, with the Vindi always being able to shoot short of being weapon destroyed/wrecked, and the Defiler the same, with the added bonus of being able to wreck things in CC. I figure if anyone knows how to bind Daemons to vehicles, it'd be the followers of Tzeentch.

Do you have any suggestions? I'd love to hear them.

Oh, also, the regular marines are also there to get "stuck-in".

If it were me, I would use maybe some Obliterators in my Heavy slot. The Obilteratos works for all of the different chaos legions, taking no side.

You have good armor punching quality, but a good assault army will tear your face off. So will a good horde army, they have just have so many bodies that can be really hard to deal with.

I see you having a hard time against Blood Angels, Orks, Tyranids, and Chaos Daemons.

But my next question would be, whats your local gaming group looking like?

Connjurus
07-12-2010, 11:24 AM
Necron, Space Marines, and Daemonhunters mostly. Some IG.

I've made this list to depart from my usual "punch you in the face" list, and also because there's a theme thing we're going to be doing week after next and, well, I really like Tzeentch. :/

But yeah. Weird gaming group, huh? XD There's a Blood Angels player, but he's hardly ever there. He's an older guy.

What should I drop for the Oblits? I was actually considering dropping either the Vindi or the Defiler for a slot of summoned Daemons just to sit on objectives/tie up a unit for a turn.

Mr. Smith
07-12-2010, 03:37 PM
Necron, Space Marines, and Daemonhunters mostly. Some IG.

I've made this list to depart from my usual "punch you in the face" list, and also because there's a theme thing we're going to be doing week after next and, well, I really like Tzeentch. :/

But yeah. Weird gaming group, huh? XD There's a Blood Angels player, but he's hardly ever there. He's an older guy.

What should I drop for the Oblits? I was actually considering dropping either the Vindi or the Defiler for a slot of summoned Daemons just to sit on objectives/tie up a unit for a turn.

Daemonhunters? Seriously?

Anyway, the meltaguns will help you against the Imperial Guard and Space Marines. Imperial Guard, if you can survive their shooting and get the metlaguns into position, you should be doing alright. Problem you will face here is just getting the meltaguns to where they need to go without be blown off the table.

With the space marines, it depends. Again your not equipped to deal with shooty Space Marines I don't think or really nasty close combat units like the Honor Guard or whatever.

Necrons you should be able to deal with pretty well besides, well, the Monolith, but the Monolith gives everyone problems.

Order_from_Chaos
07-16-2010, 07:08 PM

I love Oblits and field them in my 1000 point thousand sons themed army but heres the thing... they are only truly effective in squads of 2-3 and at that point they cost 150- 225 points >.< the only thing that my oblits do is distract enemies because they never seem to be able to destroy vehicles (ironicaly thats why i need them lol). I have found vindicators to be more reliable for anti personal and armor. One thing I havent tried is deep striking a unit of them by an icon that is close ish to the enemy in order to be able to blow away some troops with their plasma cannons or pop a tank with their meltas :P

Cheers!