PDA

View Full Version : space marine command squad tactics ?

kire
08-13-2009, 03:23 PM
i have found my self using commanders lately and was wondering if there are any good builds or tactics for them.

Decaf_Wonk
08-13-2009, 05:53 PM
Well to be honest - i havent played Marines for sometime as I cannot seem to play them atm (i must be retarded or something - every unit i use fails miserably) BUT when i play a mate of mine he uses this combination:

1 Captain
4x Command Squad members

He generally equips power weapons and plasma pistols to the memebers. When i have played against him with Chaos Marines and then a Tzeentch build - he wiped the floor with me. Kinda embarassing; essentially I forgot to shoot my thousand sons and that pretty much cost me the game ><

However, I have watched this build (I might add he supports this build with 2-3 10man tacticals and 2-3 5man Devastator squads) be smashed aside by Orks and Imperial Guard. The orks generally had mass boys and two ork bosses. Meanwhile the guard had enough tanks to cause all manner of headaches!

So itll come down to who you play the most, what they are more like to play and what you enjoy.

Dingareth
08-14-2009, 09:33 AM
I use mine as a Plasma Death Squad to suppliment my 2 Sternguard Squads with Melta. Droppping in on the first turn, they ususally go for a nice MC or bike squad- high toughness, good armor.

Putting out 8 Plasma Shots for just over 200 points is pretty nice. They're also fairly survivable too, with their 3+/4+

kire
08-14-2009, 09:50 AM
do you drop the commander with them or put him with a different squad?

Dingareth
08-14-2009, 09:56 AM
It depends on what I'm facing. I actually put my Commander on Bike, to get them as core. But I also run Pedro, and if I'm facing a lot of tanks- Mech, than he goes in the Sternguard, but otherwise, yes, I put Pedro in there to get Feel No Pain, and to make up for thier lack of a special CCW the way I run them.

ThePov
08-14-2009, 10:02 AM
do you drop the commander with them or put him with a different squad?
I drop him in with them, because I run a drop pod army, and without a command squad bodyguard, a lone Captain drop podding in is mearly a fire magnet and an easy kill point for my enemy. That said, I use mine as a mini-Sternguard. I load them up with Combi-meltas, drop them in next to a high-value armor target, or, if I'm facing a Mech army, the HQ's transport, use the Meltas to bust it open, then assault the nearest high-value infantry target next turn (which is why I run a combat captain and put a Standard and Champion in my command squad, but that's personal prefrence).