PDA

View Full Version : building IG... what do you take and why?

PedroKantor
07-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Hey all,
Some of you might have seen some of my Mechanicus (counts as IG) in the WIP forum
here (http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=7205)
Im building a mech army and I don't want to be chezy and spammy, so wanted to get peoples thoughts on what they build in the IG armies and why they choose to use the models they play with. Since my army is based on a Mechanicus theme... I am probably going to be getting more tanks for sure (eventually and even though most folks don't run them as squadrons, i will probably be trying that out)
Here is what I have so far (in various stages of completion)

These are my core troops at the moment
(all run as grenadiers)

10x Veteran Squad In Chimera
3x Melta guns, Powefist/Plasma pistol seargent

10x Veteran Squad In Chimera
2x Flamers, 1x Heavy Flamer, Power weapon/Plasma pistol seargent

10x Veteran Squad In Valkyrie
3x Plasma guns, Powerfist/Plasma pistol seargent

so far for my heavy

Leman Russ Battle Tank
Lascannon, Heavy Bolter Sponsons

I can run either a Manticore (probably will run the majority of the time) or can run it as a Hydra (weapons swap on a Basilisk chasis)

I have 3 Lascannon Heavy Weapons teams but can really run these unless i run a platoon, so not sure about them yet..

Fast

3x Sentinels
1x MultiLaser, 1x AutoCannon, 1x Heavy Flamer
(will probably be running these as the armored version)

Other stuff

psyker battle squad (don't have a Chimera for them, but plan on purchasing one soon)

I have some decked out models that can be used for HQ/Special Characters (this is where i'd really love some input)

I think that is a good start and as is.. runs around 1425 (without any HQ or special Characters)
I plan on building a minimum of 2000 points with this army, but will probably be playing around 1850 the most

So what else do people play with (or suggestions as to what I should add) and tell me why!
Thanks so much.
-eric

erwos
07-13-2010, 07:31 AM
Power weapons/fists on the vet squad sarges is a waste. If they get into assault, they're dead, and fancy wargear isn't going to save them. I'd also consider dropping the plasma pistols, except maybe on the plasma squad.

The Grenadiers doctrine is a waste, albeit a fun one. Again, if these guys go outside of a Chimera, they're dead. AP4 weaponry is just too prevalent, and no one is going to let a squad with three special weapons just walk up and kill them.

The point of an effective mechvet army is to have a certain number of special-weapon-loaded vets in Chimeras (3-4), and then stack up the rest of your army with the insane choices from FA and HS. The veterans are there to sit on objectives and maybe do a little damage on the way to them and defending them. They're not supposed to be charging the enemy.

Don't mix weapons in the sentinel squad. Figure out what mission they're tasked to, and then arm all of them appropriately. You generally want scout sentinels with autocannons or missile launchers for outflanking side shots, but I personally feel like armoured sentinels with plasma cannons _can_ work well in an AV12 spam environment if you're careful.

Don't bother with heavy bolter sponsons on the LR BT. IMHO, it's plasma cannon sponsons or nothing, given that it'll probably stay in the backfield and shoot marines, hordes, or vehicles all game.

Make sure your Valkyrie has rocket pods.

It feels like your list is more "here's what models I have, how can I stretch them into 1500 points?" That's not the way to go. Figure out the most effective way to field those models, even at a lower point value, and then simply play your games at that point value.

PedroKantor
07-13-2010, 11:55 AM
Power weapons/fists on the vet squad sarges is a waste. If they get into assault, they're dead, and fancy wargear isn't going to save them. I'd also consider dropping the plasma pistols, except maybe on the plasma squad.
My main army is marines and i think your right.. need to get out of that mindset!

The Grenadiers doctrine is a waste, albeit a fun one. Again, if these guys go outside of a Chimera, they're dead. AP4 weaponry is just too prevalent, and no one is going to let a squad with three special weapons just walk up and kill them.

again thinking in terms of marines but will be for sure playing around with this doctrine... just for my own experience

but I personally feel like armoured sentinels with plasma cannons _can_ work well in an AV12 spam environment if you're careful.
i am for sure going to be magnetizing all my weapon conversion... so thanks for the input. I have heard many other folks mention keeping sentinels armed the same when running as a squadron.. and it does totally make sense.. figure out their role and have em do just that!

Make sure your Valkyrie has rocket pods. :D

It feels like your list is more "here's what models I have, how can I stretch them into 1500 points?" That's not the way to go. Figure out the most effective way to field those models, even at a lower point value, and then simply play your games at that point value.
It really is at this point, but figured since I am new at playing guard and my army is really in its beginnings.. want to hear peoples thoughts. Thanks so much for your suggestions..I really appreciate it!
-eric

erwos
07-13-2010, 01:17 PM
I think I might be magnetizing my sentinels when they come in, too - I've never assembled a sentinel before, but it looks like you could do all the variants with some creative magnet application.

Some other random notes:
1. In a strictly competitive sense, the only thing worth taking in the elites section is the PBS in a chimera.
2. Vehicle squadrons sound tempting, but there are some flaws with them from the core rules that make them less than appealing. If you have the slots, consider running your sentinels in squads of 1 or 2.
3. The Vendetta is generally considered one of the best values in the IG codex.
4. Consider taking a second LR of some sort (Demolisher?), as having just one makes it more of a fire magnet.

Nungunz
07-17-2010, 03:27 PM
I generally play in competitive settings so focusing on list strength over fluff is what I usually do. That being said I don't like playing "standard" imperial guard tournament list as I find that they are too easy to predict.

When I build a list, I don't really look at any particular unit a 'zomg I need this'. Instead I start with 4 basic tenants, decide what I'd like in a particular list, and then go from there:

*Note that the following four points I look at apply to ALL army lists I build, not just IG.

1) Long-range light anti-tank (handles AV10-12 up to about 48", lascannons, autocannons, lootas, multilasers/scatter lasers)

2) Close-range heavy anti-tank (melta, powerfists, powerklaws, MCs, etc)

3) Close-Range anti-troop (flamers, assault units, rapid-fire weapons, deffrollas, etc)

4) Manueverability (transports, jump troops, bikes, beasts, etc. Need to be able to go grab those objectives)