PDA

View Full Version : New Army Advice

Lykum
07-13-2010, 10:25 AM
I know I'm the umpteenth person moving from 40k to WFB, but I'm looking for a bit of advice.

For the last year my wife and I have been playing 40k (me CSM, her Tau). She was pretty pissed that Lizardmen weren't a 40k army, but since I had already made up my mind she decided to get a Tau army (I found a good wife). Anyway, so this year we're gonna try out WFB, partially because I owe her, and partially because it seems like now is a good time to start. With all that said, she is obviously set on Lizardmen which will be a nice change from getting her Tau stomped in every assault phase.

I am trying to figure out where to start though. My current playstyle is to Charge with Khorne in a LR, and hold with Nurgle in a Rhino. I'd like something more tactically versatile, and I am always jealous of normal space marines and their Combat Tactics. However, the WFB WoC models are some of the coolest that GW makes, and my first choice would be an all Khorne WoC army.

Second, the Skaven models really appeal to me. I'd like the chance to field some magic, but my main fear is the fragility of Skaven troops. I am not sure yet how assassins work, but they seem like a cool option as well.

Third, Dwarves were my first choice fluff-wise and they seem like they have a lot of tactical options. I think most of the Dwarf Lord models are mediocre, though I do like the troop and ranged models.

Last, Orcs and Goblins look like fun craziness. I would imagine you could make a pretty versatile army with them. However, my favorite unit is the Boar Boyz, so I am not sure if the hit to cavalry will make them viable/fun. I already have a 40k Ork army though, so my greenskin needs may be sated there.

wittdooley
07-13-2010, 10:57 AM
Humourously enough, she's actually going to be getting one of the most tactically diverse armies in Lizardmen. It appears that the Empire is also going to get a decent boost in tactical diversity with the new edition, as you should be able to do both gunlines and large blocks of troops.

If you're going for Skaven, be prepared to paint a lot of models, because you'll certainly want to horde them up. Same for Orcs and Goblins. Also, if you decide to go for either of these, I'd recommend getting the Skull Pass starter set (for O&G) or the Island of Blood starter set (for Skaven) whenever it comes out.

The nice thing about WoC is that they're going to be nice and competitive, and you won't need a TON of models. Plus, as you said, some of their models look really nice (though I think the Marauders are blech).

Lykum
07-13-2010, 06:25 PM
If you're going for Skaven, be prepared to paint a lot of models, because you'll certainly want to horde them up. Same for Orcs and Goblins. Also, if you decide to go for either of these, I'd recommend getting the Skull Pass starter set (for O&G) or the Island of Blood starter set (for Skaven) whenever it comes out.

That may be my biggest obstacle to starting one of those armies. I like to spend a lot of time on each model, so I think a Skaven army will take me until 9th edition to complete.

The nice thing about WoC is that they're going to be nice and competitive, and you won't need a TON of models. Plus, as you said, some of their models look really nice (though I think the Marauders are blech).

Agreed about the Marauders, but I think a head swap would take care of 68% of the problem. Gladiatorial helmets maybe?

CitizenZero
07-14-2010, 01:30 AM
Agreed about the Marauders, but I think a head swap would take care of 68% of the problem. Gladiatorial helmets maybe?The heads are horrible, but the bodies are just as bad...an easy conversion is to use the extra heads you get in the Marauder Horsemen on the bodies of Flagellants...

Chaos doesn't have shooting...so they aren't TOO versatile in that category...but lets face it, the majority of the models look too good to NOT play :)

Lykum
07-14-2010, 06:25 AM
The heads are horrible, but the bodies are just as bad...an easy conversion is to use the extra heads you get in the Marauder Horsemen on the bodies of Flagellants...

Chaos doesn't have shooting...so they aren't TOO versatile in that category...but lets face it, the majority of the models look too good to NOT play :)

I'd have to look into it more, but I'd bet there are some good historical models that would work.

The only way I genuinely hate the bodies is if they are using flails. Hand weapons don't look too bad.

CitizenZero
07-14-2010, 12:15 PM
I'd have to look into it more, but I'd bet there are some good historical models that would work.

The only way I genuinely hate the bodies is if they are using flails. Hand weapons don't look too bad.Too me, the bodies look too muscular, in a cartoony way...just my opinion.

So are you any closer to your decision?

Lykum
07-14-2010, 06:54 PM
Too me, the bodies look too muscular, in a cartoony way...just my opinion.

So are you any closer to your decision?

I am waiting for The Convention Formerly Known as BOLSCon to decide. After we get eliminated from the doubles tourney in round one I figure I'll have plenty of time to check out the different WFB games.

If cavalry works well in a WoC army I think my mind is made up for Chaos. I have been really disappointed with my CSM bikers, so if I can find a way to field hoards of evil mofos riding things into someone's face I will be able to fill that void in my heart. I am planning on an all Khorne army with the occasional Tzneetch sorcerer for mercenary head explodings.

Jwolf
07-14-2010, 07:06 PM
I love my Knights who say Tzneetch, and they are devilisihly good in 8th so far as I've tested them.

Lykum
07-14-2010, 08:11 PM
I love my Knights who say Tzneetch, and they are devilisihly good in 8th so far as I've tested them.

In 8th ed they are no longer the Knights who say Tzneetch. They are now the Knights who say icky-icky-icky pitang-zoomboing.

What kind of setup are you running? Who have proven to be star units?

Fizyx
07-14-2010, 08:42 PM
In 8th ed they are no longer the Knights who say Tzneetch. They are now the Knights who say icky-icky-icky pitang-zoomboing.

What kind of setup are you running? Who have proven to be star units?

In my few large games with 8th edition, large blocks (25+ models) of Tzeentch Warriors with the Blasted Standard have performed like champs. They are hard to kill (3+/4+ vs shooting, 3+/5+ in H2H) and can still dish out the damage with 19 attacks to the front (running them 6-wide.)

I've tried the large unit of Great Weapon Marauders with mixed success.

Cavalry is just not as impressive anymore. Maybe for supporting flank attacks, but it is better to get the infantry fleshed out and hit them hard from the front.

The thing I am noticing about Chaos is that the number of actual units stays roughly the same (4) from 1500 points through 3500 points. The only difference is the units get larger, lol.

Running two 30 man units of warriors plus two 40 man units of marauders and two hellcannons is pretty glorious, though.

Lykum
07-15-2010, 06:40 AM
Cavalry is just not as impressive anymore. Maybe for supporting flank attacks, but it is better to get the infantry fleshed out and hit them hard from the front.

I guess my main question is can you make them work? Having spent lots of time with RTSs like Rome Total War, I would feel pretty bummed not taking cav. Realistically, they were mostly a supporting unit anyway, so if they can be effectively used like that I'll probably take them

The thing I am noticing about Chaos is that the number of actual units stays roughly the same (4) from 1500 points through 3500 points. The only difference is the units get larger, lol.

Running two 30 man units of warriors plus two 40 man units of marauders and two hellcannons is pretty glorious, though.

Wow, a 100 model army? I am going to have a lot of black and gray on the table for a long time.

By comparison, what units have people been seeing in the Skaven armies? I already have a painted Skaven Doomwheel that I bought just because I loved the model so much.

Fizyx
07-15-2010, 05:18 PM
I guess my main question is can you make them work? Having spent lots of time with RTSs like Rome Total War, I would feel pretty bummed not taking cav. Realistically, they were mostly a supporting unit anyway, so if they can be effectively used like that I'll probably take them

Wow, a 100 model army? I am going to have a lot of black and gray on the table for a long time.

By comparison, what units have people been seeing in the Skaven armies? I already have a painted Skaven Doomwheel that I bought just because I loved the model so much.

I played a mostly Cavalry army in 7th edition, so there is a lot of black and gray in my box. I only have two painted units of Warriors, lol.

Cavalry with WoC is pretty tricky. You need the ranks 5-6 wide in order to get a decent number of attacks in, but now you need multiple ranks to break people's stubborn. This means a unit of knights will be incredibly expensive.

Plus, with the advent of hella shooting, your knights armor saves just aren't as good as they used to be. Each knight lost is a 40-50 point investment, so more accurate cannons and other artillery can really hurt.

Can they work? Yes. They could definitely hurt on the flank, but they can not, and will not, be the mainstay of a force now. You will need infantry. They can not take a solid unit of infantry alone, even on the flank (since you need two units to negate ranks on the flank.)

I can not comment on Skaven, but if the thought of 140 models in a 3000 pointy game makes you squeamish, you probably don't want to know how many the Skaven will bring, lol.

Lykum
07-20-2010, 10:29 PM
Okay... so I got a WoC Codex in the mail today (keep in mind I live 3 hrs from a LGS)... WTF?!! Why didn't anyone tell me there was such a thing as Valkia the Bloody? The Gorequeen?!
Decision made. WoC. Khorne.

Hugz4Genestealers
07-20-2010, 10:41 PM
Yeah... If you absolutely HAVE to play the filthy heretics, the fantasy WoC are definitely the way to go. Those warrior models are hands down the most impressive infantry models in the fantasy range, in my opinion.

Lykum
07-21-2010, 06:56 AM
Yeah... If you absolutely HAVE to play the filthy heretics, the fantasy WoC are definitely the way to go. Those warrior models are hands down the most impressive infantry models in the fantasy range, in my opinion.

Having played CSM in 40K, being a heretic is nothing new for me. I tried to break away from the Chaos gods, but no dice. The models are too cool and the army fits how I like to play.

Unlike 40K, WFB seems like it has beter chances for themed armies that are still viable on the table. SO right now I am going all Khorne with Valkia as the hero. I may end up taking a Tzneetch sorcerer, but model him chained to a Juggernaut.

Hugz4Genestealers
07-21-2010, 11:59 AM
Very nice.

Lykum
07-26-2010, 10:21 PM
I was also considering the Tzneetch sorcerer on a disk with two Bloodletters holding chains around his neck. I want to convey that the dude has been enslaved by Khorne without going crazy on the base size. I figure with the Bloodetters and chain setup I can move them around as decorative units without getting in the way.

Hugz4Genestealers
07-26-2010, 10:47 PM
This is a really cool idea. I demand pictures.

Lykum
07-27-2010, 06:36 AM
Right now they are stuck in my brain. Give me 6 to 9 months and I will make them a reality.

The new kit of plastic Juggernauts might be an early purchase if I can easily make the Chaos knights ride them instead of horses (or ideally swap via magnets/pins). That would give me some leftover Bloodthirsters in cool poses to use for my enslaved sorcerer idea.