PDA

View Full Version : Battle Magic Cards - WTF is going on GW???

theHman
07-13-2010, 11:42 AM
Okay, I'm sure everyone else has noticed but not given much thought to this.

But why on earth are the battle magic cards "Limited Edition"?
Do they mean "limited" until they sell out and print more?

Or do they mean "limited" like Space Hulk is/was "limited"?

It makes no sense to me that you would print out a limited quantity of cards. Perhaps these brand new decks have special art?

I just don't get it.

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
07-13-2010, 11:57 AM
Well, they're not really a very necessary item - the spells are all in the army books and main rulebook, the cards are purely for convenience/cool factor.

Most likely, Gamesworkshop just doesn't predict them selling well continuously, and so is combining the hype from 8th edition launch and their limited edition status to sell as many as possible in one run.

In all likelihood, they won't be returning, a la Space Hulk.

rbryce
07-13-2010, 12:08 PM
i think its more for the seasoned gamer who can remember the old magic cards from a previous edition(not sure which, though i have a stack of them lying about), and wants to have a similar item for remembrances sake maybe?

Gotthammer
07-13-2010, 12:58 PM
It's also only the Army Book specific decks (ie Daemon Lore) that are limited ed - the core set (fire, life, metal etc) isn't.

Herald of Nurgle
07-13-2010, 01:19 PM
They should be direct only and a heeeell of a lot less (like, the Limited ones)

I brought a pack of the Core ones because, of course, with the new magic system of 1 of each spell per army...

CitizenZero
07-14-2010, 01:23 AM
It makes a little bit of sense to do the Army specific cards in limited quantities...the fact is, they are targeted and very small segments of the hobby as a whole, and even for those people are not at all necessary.

Making them limited minimizes risk, and ultimately will sell more...because people who don't play those armies may still buy them since they will be collectibles...