PDA

View Full Version : 8th ed characters

Hatsgames
07-14-2010, 09:47 AM
I wouldn't mind everyones interpretation of the new 'characters on mounts' rules in the Warhammer 8th book.

Here is what I make of it:

I have a character, we will call him Bob.

Bob gets mounted on his shiny chariot.

Bob confers the Character trait to the chariot, and the chariot gives Bob the Chariot trait. They are one model according to the new 8th ed rules.

Chariots follows the rules for monsterous cavalry

Monsterous Cavalry follows the rules for monsters

So in the end we have a single model consisting of Bob and his pimpin ride (the chariot)
Bob's traits are: Character, chariot, and monster
Bob's chariots traits are identical

So...

Question 1: can Bob's pimpin chariot issue and recieve challenges now that it counts as a character?

Question 2: if so, what the hell is Bob up to while his chariot is handling his 'light work'?

Question 3: Does the Impact Hits rule stack so as to have Bob and the Chariot both do impact hits?

Thank you all!
The Hat

fuzzbuket
07-14-2010, 11:51 AM
is this part of the continueing saga of bob? do we get more articals about everyones fave corn lord and his truste steeds :D

(srry i just love calling stuff nice names ive got a =][= bob :D)

Herald of Nurgle
07-14-2010, 01:04 PM
is this part of the continueing saga of bob? do we get more articals about everyones fave corn lord and his truste steeds :D

(srry i just love calling stuff nice names ive got a =][= bob :D)
(This bob is a finely tuned killing machine made out of spam and cheese)

fuzzbuket
07-14-2010, 01:12 PM
so bob is a daemon sorceror with 8 great weapons and 3 shields riding in a razorback with a melta ba squad in a daemon army ?

Hatsgames
07-14-2010, 03:03 PM
Bob's tools are bubblegum, and destruction when he runs outta bubblegum.

As far as the cheesy smell of the opening statement I kinda agree.

While I can thematically justify Bud and the chariot killing in the name of Bob while he sits back and has a martini, it seems out of place in the game...mechanically clunky.

I figured that since the internet is vast and infinite that I would ask you good folks to get some perspective on the rules.

once again,
Thanks All!

Essayons
07-14-2010, 07:13 PM
I'm at work (sort of) so I don't have access to my rules, but you present some interesting questions. I would say no to #1 (rendering #2 moot) and no to #3. It just doesn't feel right to me and I've been reading these rules too damned much lately. I'll give it a read later so I have some backup for this.

However, if I'm wrong, there's an interesting loophole that will make for some pretty powerful character/mount combos.

Essayons.

Hatsgames
07-14-2010, 09:16 PM
I'm at work (sort of) so I don't have access to my rules, but you present some interesting questions. I would say no to #1 (rendering #2 moot) and no to #3. It just doesn't feel right to me and I've been reading these rules too damned much lately. I'll give it a read later so I have some backup for this.

However, if I'm wrong, there's an interesting loophole that will make for some pretty powerful character/mount combos.

Essayons.

So... I guess that I should hold off on resculpting Bob's head with a scythe(just for show of course:P)

What I think is happening is an editing error on the part of the team responsible for the character section of the book. I have run into some other seemingly erroneous information in other sections. This has led me to believe that the editing team did not communicate the design team's goals clearly.

I am not going to roll an extra d6 of Bob 'eadbutt' attacks when i hit people. That just feels ...well wrong.

The chariot being a character is as clear and concise as the book can get. In fact it states it...clearly, concisely.

What the book should have in my opinion is a refurbishing to the monsterous mount section that just tells us the friggen rules instead of referring to other sections and confusing the heck outta us. In that section i dream of a clarification on what the model is and how it works.

Oh, to dream...

Thanks for the info so far guys!

Essayons
07-15-2010, 01:21 AM
OK...I think I have this thing figured out.

The "Chariot Mount" special rule on page 105 (MUCH better now that I can reference my book) states that:

"If a character has taken a chariot as a mount, the whole model is treated as having the troop type "chariot" and follows all the rules for both characters and chariot models."

This would indicate to me that you add one character to one chariot and you get one model. Furthermore, the rule goes on to say:

"A chariot mount otherwise follows all the rules for ridden monsters..."

The rules on 106 (Monster Mounts In Close Combat" cover the rest of the details.

So...on to your questions...

#1) It would seem that this is covered on 103 under "Challenges and Mounts." It even specifically mentions chariots.

#2) 103 covers this as well.

#3) I would still say no, as you treat the "whole model" as a chariot. That would logically mean one set of impact hits. Sorry Bob.

Essayons.

Hatsgames
07-15-2010, 12:15 PM
I can see what 103 implies...

Super-summarized challenge process goes as follows:

...blah blah your in a fight (Yay death!)
Challenges are issued at the start of the combat round
A player issues a challenge with suitable MODEL
the other dude can accept with any of his CHARACTERS
if a competitor in a challenge is riding a mount it kicks pootie too

I will note that this does mean that my chariot cannot issue, but may accept challenges.
Tee-hee.

I do believe that this conversation has determined that chariots have no real place in a good one on one scrum...but its a good conversation piece.

Thanks Essay!