PDA

View Full Version : 8th Ed. Errata: Good or Bad

Wathapend2urfase
07-14-2010, 01:46 PM
Has anyone seen anything they really like or dislike about the new FAQs and Erratas? Personally I dislike how the Wood Elf characters riding Elven Steeds no longer count as Fast Cavalry and in turn any unit they join no longer count as Fast Cav. Granted thought the whole army can move through any tpe of wood without much penalty though. Goods and Bads. Unfortunately mostly bad...

Herald of Nurgle
07-14-2010, 02:10 PM
Good in that they've actually released them early instead of 3 months after the edition came out.

Bad in that sooo many of the FAQs say 'depends on the player taking the turn' (like the Dwarves 'is this combination of runes str 9 or 10' ruling and sooo many others)

addamsfamily36
07-14-2010, 02:45 PM
Has anyone seen anything they really like or dislike about the new FAQs and Erratas? Personally I dislike how the Wood Elf characters riding Elven Steeds no longer count as Fast Cavalry and in turn any unit they join no longer count as Fast Cav. Granted thought the whole army can move through any tpe of wood without much penalty though. Goods and Bads. Unfortunately mostly bad...

I would check the fast-cavalry rules in the main rulebook. Im not sure about fast cavalry, but for skirmishers any character joining them gains their "skirmish" special rule, not sure on exact wording of the book. So there might be a similar rule for characters joining fast units. just a thought.

Also yeh being able to move through woods without much penalty equals WIN!

Wathapend2urfase
07-14-2010, 03:34 PM
Word for Word

"If a Fast Cavalry unit is joined by character without the Fast Cavalry rule, the unit loses the rule until the character leaves."

In the Errata it states

"Page 80 – Reference, Steeds, Elven Steeds’ Special Rules. Ignore “Fast Cavalry”."

they purposely took it away from the steeds. It makes no sense. I peronally don't care because my gaming group has decided that this rule makes absolutely no sense. But for tournament purposes this makes Wood Elves the worst army.

addamsfamily36
07-14-2010, 04:16 PM
"Page 80 – Reference, Steeds, Elven Steeds’ Special Rules. Ignore “Fast Cavalry”."

hmm is page 80 a summary of all the units in the army?

Because if it is, then it only applies to steeds etc brought as mounts.

Glade riders for instance may still have fast cavalry under their rules (im not sure as i don;t own a wood elf army book)

but yes it would seem characters can't gain fast cavalry, unless via an item or other means.

UltramarineFan
07-15-2010, 02:07 AM
Skaven. The errata and faq just goes on and on and on...

quinn
07-15-2010, 02:31 AM
The fact that they didn't classify the Magic Spells for the lores that aren't listed in the BRB (like The WoC lores) is absolutely baffling to me. Although you can probably come to your own conclusions on whether a spell is a 'Hex', 'Augment' etc., I can see some arguments popping up that could have been easily fixed by listing them in the FAQs. This is a monumental fail for me.

Bard of Twilight
07-15-2010, 05:50 AM
As far as my Vampires and High Elves are concerned ,I am pretty satisfied. No big changes ,however...

robertsjf
07-15-2010, 10:01 AM
As far as my Vampires

I would argue that our skellies are overpriced....

carrotcolossus
07-18-2010, 12:13 AM
I think it is weird that some FAQs make major changes (DE seems to have gotten a bunch of fixes) but something like VCs didn't have much change at all. I would hate to be a WoC player, who lost the ability to take Chaos Dragons. I think the FAQs show the variability of game design by GW.

Fizyx
07-18-2010, 07:26 AM
I think it is weird that some FAQs make major changes (DE seems to have gotten a bunch of fixes) but something like VCs didn't have much change at all. I would hate to be a WoC player, who lost the ability to take Chaos Dragons. I think the FAQs show the variability of game design by GW.

We did not lose the ability to take Chaos Dragons. Previously, Chaos Dragons would consume an extra Hero slot in the force organization. That is, a Lord on a Chaos Dragon would count as a Lord and a Hero. With the new percentage calculations, that role is moot and does not apply. That is the note the FAQ instructed us to ignore. We can still take Chaos Dragons.

solemnclockwork
07-18-2010, 08:54 AM
checked out the lizardmen errata,

They completely nuked the chance of using transformation of Kadon on the Slann. Absolutely no, which I don't understand because he not classified as being on anything other then foot (there's a reason why I say this, even though the model shows him riding a stone seat).

I pose this, since it says it in the description, does that leave room for using descriptions as justification for some rules (or even clearing up things)? Can of worms?
You all might want to check out your armies errata again, the lizard men was updated the 12th.

whitestar333
07-18-2010, 10:49 AM
Check again guys, there have been some new changes this last week and now they're all version 1.1

The speed of these changes encourages me a bit about GW and their FAQs. I remember even just 3 years ago and this was unheard of. Perhaps GW is trying to speed up their game design from their previously snail's pace?

One change I was happy to see was the inclusion of Elven steeds being Fast Cav again. That was a stupid change and I think they realized that.

ZenPaladin
07-19-2010, 10:29 AM
A really good change in the empire errata is that engineers can now use their abilities on helblasters and helstorms which makes those weapons a lot more viable. No real bad changes seen.

Wathapend2urfase
07-19-2010, 11:17 AM
Check again guys, there have been some new changes this last week and now they're all version 1.1

The speed of these changes encourages me a bit about GW and their FAQs. I remember even just 3 years ago and this was unheard of. Perhaps GW is trying to speed up their game design from their previously snail's pace?

One change I was happy to see was the inclusion of Elven steeds being Fast Cav again. That was a stupid change and I think they realized that.
o I know i saw that. My WE are still capable of doing something again. I can't believe how fast they updated the FAQs!!

Adjustquantity
07-28-2010, 10:37 PM
I'm largely happy with the way the FAQ's have come out and for the most part how easy to read they are. At least compared to the slow process of 40K FAQ's.

BlindGunn
08-02-2010, 08:57 AM
Haven't finished going through all of them yet, but so far the (2nd) batch of FAQ's seem much better.

One question though - I haven't been able to find a Game Reference Sheet (hoping to print it out for the Miscast, etc, rather than flipping pages in the book all the time). Has anyone seen one?