PDA

View Full Version : Starting Warriors, 2250

Tacoo
07-15-2010, 11:29 PM
Ok im trading in my 40k army for fantasy. (also if anyone is intrested, i got 10xbloodletters, 14x PaGK, 1 Landraider crusader, and 3 termies all painted, and 2 unpainter terminators). i figured i would go with warriors, when looking through the codexs they stuck out the most to me. Anyways here is my list below, i havent played many games yet, but then again alot of people havnt played alot of games in this addition :)

sorcerer lord w/ lvl 4, skull of katam,
humunculus, shadow-340
Sorcere w/ lvl 2, death, power familar-145
Sorcere w/ lvl 2, death, infernal puppet-155
exalted hero w/ MoK, juggernuaght, great weapon, bsb, helm of many eyes,
dawnstone-258
(3 ranks of 6)18x Warriors w/ shields, MoT, blasted standard-360
(4 ranks of 6)24x Warriors w/halbreds, banner of rage -431
(2 ranks of 5)10x maruader horsemen w/ throwing spears, shields-150
(2 ranks of 4)8x Ogres w/ Chaos armour, great weapons-400 pts

Ogres take up center of army, while maruaders flank to try and kill warmachines. MoT warriors are another good hammer unit, with 3+ invuln against shooting, and 5+ in melee, While the warriors with Rage banner and the exalted hero act as a slow advancing assault unit. sorceres all stay together in MoT warriors, and spell fling on the advancing enemie.

a.)Only thing i dont really like is the lack of hellcannons might make me have a little bit if a diffacult time against swarms if my magic gets shut down. i could drop the ogres and take 2, but ogres seem so good when impact hits when they charge, thencrap load of str 6 hits, and then even more stomphits. also the 4+ armour is nice.

b.)I Could take 6 units of trolls inplace of the ogres, what would be better?

c.)Also would it be better for sorceror lord to go with tzeentch lore? spells would be even easier to cast (+6 4 for lvl, 1 for mark, 1 for skull), and all the spells seem al'right, pandimonium and infernal gateway just seem really good. Even more so with infernal puppet potentially making it really bad for them.

d.) should i try and get MoK on the unmarked warriors, and trade there current banner for the razer standard?

The above army, if getting from a 20% off site, cost 300 dollars (getting iron guts for ogres) so resonable price, after that i would probably buy a couple hell cannons

Thought and critisim?

Fizyx
07-16-2010, 05:01 AM
Ok im trading in my 40k army for fantasy. (also if anyone is intrested, i got 10xbloodletters, 14x PaGK, 1 Landraider crusader, and 3 termies all painted, and 2 unpainter terminators). i figured i would go with warriors, when looking through the codexs they stuck out the most to me. Anyways here is my list below, i havent played many games yet, but then again alot of people havnt played alot of games in this addition :)

sorcerer lord w/ lvl 4, skull of katam,
humunculus, shadow-340

That is a lot of + to casting. On one hand it allows you to cast the same spell on fewer dice = good. On the other hand, it might be overkill. Skull of Katam is a LOT of points.
This is a LOT of sorcerers. Remember, the miscast table is incredibly devastating, even with the infernal puppet.

exalted hero w/ MoK, juggernuaght, great weapon, bsb, helm of many eyes,
dawnstone-258
I really don't like the Helm of Many eyes on a Leadership 8 Character. Remember, Even a Sorcerer Lord will still only be Leadership 8. Also, where are you going to put this guy? The Juggy is not as awesome anymore since you can't bring your Armor Save below 1+ in 8th edition, no more 0+ or 1- AS.

(3 ranks of 6)18x Warriors w/ shields, MoT, blasted standard-360
I would seriously consider bumping these guys to 24 at this point level.
OMG Get out of my head! Seriously, I will be running a unit very similar to this, only it will have MoN + maybe a Blasted Standard on a BSB.
(2 ranks of 5)10x maruader horsemen w/ throwing spears, shields-150
Since March-blocking is effectively killed, I don't see these guys being terribly useful except to harass players on the flank. Any decent shooting army will demolish them by turn 2, though, but that does keep the shooting away from your main force.
(2 ranks of 4)8x Ogres w/ Chaos armour, great weapons-400 pts
That's some pretty heavy awesome, if you ask me. I haven't tried it, but I don't own any Ogres (yet.)

Ogres take up center of army, while maruaders flank to try and kill warmachines. MoT warriors are another good hammer unit, with 3+ invuln against shooting, and 5+ in melee, While the warriors with Rage banner and the exalted hero act as a slow advancing assault unit. sorceres all stay together in MoT warriors, and spell fling on the advancing enemie.

a.)Only thing i dont really like is the lack of hellcannons might make me have a little bit if a diffacult time against swarms if my magic gets shut down. i could drop the ogres and take 2, but ogres seem so good when impact hits when they charge, thencrap load of str 6 hits, and then even more stomphits. also the 4+ armour is nice.

Hellcannons are nice. I would buy one, learn to use it and see how you like it. The Ogres are pretty nice, too. Just remember that Hellcannons are probably one of the most difficult assemblies in the game. Pin everything. Oh god, pin everything.

b.)I Could take 6 units of trolls inplace of the ogres, what would be better?

Trolls have higher strength, but stpidity and the lack of upgrades makes them kind of weaksauce. Not that they aren't good, but they make a terrible Anvil.

c.)Also would it be better for sorceror lord to go with tzeentch lore? spells would be even easier to cast (+6 4 for lvl, 1 for mark, 1 for skull), and all the spells seem al'right, pandimonium and infernal gateway just seem really good. Even more so with infernal puppet potentially making it really bad for them.

Drop the skull and go Tzeentch. Man, that sounded kind of forceful, like, you! Do this! I didn't mean it that way.

d.) should i try and get MoK on the unmarked warriors, and trade there current banner for the razer standard?

I wouldn't. But that's just me. Yes, MoK is less expensive (slightly) but the eternal frenzy is good for those "oh crap" situations.

The above army, if getting from a 20% off site, cost 300 dollars (getting iron guts for ogres) so resonable price, after that i would probably buy a couple hell cannons

Thought and critisim?

Comments in red.

Tacoo
07-16-2010, 11:14 AM
sorcerer lord w/ lvl 4, skull of katam, MoT, Necrotic phylarctery, charmed shield--355
exalted hero w/ MoN, great weapon, bsb, helm of many eyes,. shield
dawnstone-218
(3 ranks of 6)24x Warriors w/ shields, MoT, blasted standard-450
(2 ranks of 5) 10xtrolls-450

2204/2250

Changed exalted hero and sorcerer lord, Necrotic phylarcetry Seems really good for only 10 points, you arent even affected by death, and auto pass or characteristic test, can charmed shield for the 2+.

Reason for taking 3 sorcerer's is for 2 reasons
a.) Love the idea of a little sorcerer coven

b.) back up/versatility. 2 lvl 2 sorcerers from death allow me a resonably chance to get some of the good spells from it. allow me to more dice to help with channeling, allow a backup caster if the main one dies, allows me to get all the arcane items i like(since there all be together, there be casting at +3, they generate a extra power dice, and when pandemonium is up, when the opponent miscast, i can potentially make it ALOT worse), and gives me more choices with the majority of 2 lores known

Im not sure on the maruder horse men yet, part of me whants to drop them for more warriors, or a maruder block, but the other part of me wants to keep them as a semi competent fast unit. with there speed they should help with big squads by hitting them on the flanks (or if lucky, rear) i already seem to have enough forward hitting power, trolls, brick that is the MoT warriors, and the spear of Frenzy.

EDIT: ok played the list on vassal (very hard to do wheeling btw) and likes it so far, but im going to drop the unit of maruder horsemen and ogres for 10 trolls and up the MoT warriors to 24

Jwolf
07-18-2010, 09:38 AM
I'm a fan of MoT and MoN on Sorcerors now, and Fire for unaligned. Nurgle has 2 of the best spells for dealing with Steam Tanks (Quagmire kills them fairly automatically) and Gateway is something you can just cast every turn without much trouble, and it will draw dispel dice like no one's business.

Death signature isn't all that hot on a LD 8 guy. Purple Sun is a great bucket of killiness against slow races (Undead and Lizards), but not that good against the fast ones. The other death killing spells are good for killing characters, but WoC want to kill them in challenges anyway, right?

Never leave home without a Warshrine. I may feel this way because I throw boxcars onto Tzeentch Knights on turn 1 in a ridiculous percentage of my games, though.

Fizyx
07-18-2010, 11:02 AM
Nurgle has 2 of the best spells for dealing with Steam Tanks (Quagmire kills them fairly automatically)

Previously the Steam Tank could only be affected by spells that had a strength value. Is this still true? I know "Pit if Shades" has been FAQ'd to not effect the Steam Tank; one would follow that Cloying Quagmire would not as well.

Jwolf
07-18-2010, 03:05 PM
The Magic Phase section on Steam Tanks is now ignored, per the GW FAQ. So the Steam Tank automatically fails the Initiative test, and has a 1 in 6 chance of living.

Also it is worth checking those errata and FAQ a few times a week; they are definitely works in progress.

Fizyx
07-18-2010, 04:48 PM
Wow, I just saw that.

Man, stand by for another errata, lol.