PDA

View Full Version : Battle Royal

Hatsgames
07-16-2010, 12:49 PM
Just played battle royale for the first time out of the 8th ed. rulebook.

I got the seat in the middle of the table...

Yup...that kinda hurt

Things that I liked about the scenario:
1. The mixed turn structure was a great idea. It kept my brain on its rattling edge. I can alwats appreciate a good mission that keps me juggling my army and main rules while trying to plan some sort of strategy.

2. The guy in the middle goes first!

3. Resolving hand to hand, though arbitrary, was fun and interesting.

4. Table talk involving who was dispelling what was fun. Coercing the guy on my right to dispell something for me was hilarious.

Things that made being in the middle a terrible idea:
1.I move first, that means I charge first, and I move first. I could not react to my opponent's movement and charges with my own. I had to accept that I was at a disadvantage in mobility...Thats super important for an army surrounded my 'bad-guys'.

2. Same as above, but with the magic phase. This is more of an irk than anything else. There is no 'Pass' mechanic for casting or dispelling spells, so I had to cast first knowing that two seperate magic and dispel pools were ready and waiting for me.

3.Combat resolution for multiple combats is terrible! One winner forces the other players' units to make break tests at its total resolution. The problem is that the opposing playes do not add their resolution together to oppose the winner. This led to (in our case) a unit of ogres with a tyrant thunping a unit on the charge for about 11 resolution. Bob was in there and pulled out 4 resolution. and the horribly maimed remainder of my budy Mike's army nubbed out a 3 combat resolution. both Bob and Mike's dudes had some insane courage to face...

Ogres:11(yay impact hits and tyrant!)
Bob:4
Mike:3
Bob's modifier from the ogres that he was not incontact with...-7(base leadership 9)
Mikes modifier from the combat sandwich that he was in...-8(base leadership 8)

While I understand the reasoning behind the resolution rules for multiplayer games, it sucks that Bob fled from the combat because he did fewer wounds to a delicious and chewy unit than another attacker.