07-16-2010, 02:05 PM
Librarian, terminator armor, storm shield, gate of infinity, null zone

6 Sternguard, 2 combi-meltas, power fist, drop pod

tactical squad, melta, lascannon, powerfist, combi-flamer, rhino

tactical squad, melta, lascannon, powerfist, combi-flamer, rhino

Vanguard vets, hammer, pair of claws, 2x power weapon, storm shield

Land Raider Redeemer, multimelta

Vindicator, siege shield

Librarian gates with sternguard, vanguard ride in redeemer, tac squads hold the line, vindicator is a bullet magnet with a big gun

Thoughts?

BlindGunn
07-16-2010, 03:16 PM
I can confirm - Vindicator great Bullet Magnet. If you can keep it in cover, you might live long enough to do a lot of damage with it, too! (Mine has survived the last two games intact - surprisingly!)

Are you planning to Combat Squad your Tactical squads once deployed? Lascannon not too useful on the move and Melta is too short-ranged to hold back. If you got the rhino, take the potshots with the Melta out the top hatch while the Lascannon provides the covering fire! ;)

I'm not sure about the Redeemer in a 1500 point lst. Too short a range unless you know you're going into a City Fight type table. I would prefer a Crusader or Vanella Land Raider.

Is this a list for a tournament or campaign?

superhappyrobot
07-18-2010, 03:04 PM
Yeah, I was thinking of combat squadding the tacticals, letting the lascannons sit back and the sgt. and melta ride in the rhino.

As far as the land raider goes, I was initially drawn to the crusader, myself, and I had never considered running a redeemer. This list is just for fun and might wind up being the 'house army' for guests to use.

I have a bunch of old space marine models sitting in a box not getting any use and I built this list around what I think I could take from that box. The only model that I don't have/couldn't convert is the land raider, unless I do take a crusader, then I could use an old crusader I have with metal sponsons.

The next question is which chapter to paint them as?
Ultramarines? Blood ravens? Marines malevolent? Death spectres?

Hugz4Genestealers
07-18-2010, 06:27 PM
Angry Marines for the win.

wolflold
07-19-2010, 03:12 AM
Redeemer FTW!!! Every army is in reserve for deep strike or in transport anyway so the hurrican bolter is useless! And if you play against horde armies, when they are in your lines, you 'ill hate yourself for not having the flamer templates. I prefere to race to the enemy and incinrate them! And your opponent will think twice not to deep strike near a redeemer :D.

Splug
07-19-2010, 11:57 AM
If you're going to have the vanguard riding in the land raider anyway, you may want to consider replacing them with assault terminators. A 5-man vanguard squad with that sort of weaponry probably runs you 215 points, for 200 you could get 3 dual LC's and 2 TH/SS terminators. The advantages the vanguard have are that they could fit into a rhino, be cheaper without all the upgrades, take jump packs for heroic intervention, and that they take a fast attack slot instead of an elite slot (relic blades are a nice perk, too). The way they've fit into that list, they aren't taking advantage of any of those virtues - may as well get everyone the 2+/5+ saves for being in terminator armor.

EDIT: Wait, how big is the vanguard squad? If you're looking for a full 10-man squad with a few guys carrying elite weapons, that's an entirely different use than the terminator squad anyway - for some reason I just thought it was only 5.

Extra armor is also a worthy purchase on any land raider carrying assault troops, if you can find the points. Your first turn is probably going to be move 12", pop smoke - the 15 points to increase your chances of doing exactly that are well worth the investment.

I've found that the best way to run vindicators is in pairs. The first one gets shot up and spam-stunned until the gun finally falls off, but there's rarely enough firepower to stun them both and pop transports open. However, trying to fit two of them into a balanced list at 1500 would probably not be worth it.

superhappyrobot
07-20-2010, 05:31 PM
EDIT: Wait, how big is the vanguard squad? If you're looking for a full 10-man squad with a few guys carrying elite weapons, that's an entirely different use than the terminator squad anyway - for some reason I just thought it was only 5.

It's a seven man squad. Although terminators might be a better choice, I was just looking for a decent hammer unit at 1500 points that I could make out of regular marine bodies. Perhaps I should just go with a 5-man terminator squad because I might have a few extra points to pick up somethings else. I'd run the numbers to see what I'd save, but I'm at work now so I don't have access to the codex. Honestly, though, I'd only swap out the vanguard vets for cc terminators if it would save me enough points for another unit, and I don't think it would.

Any thoughts on the vanguard loadout? Right now it's seven guys kitted out as follows:

Marine 1 (Sgt) = TH, BP
Marine 2 = 2x LC
Marine 3 = PW, BP
Marine 4 = PW, BP
Marine 5 = BP, SS
Marine 6 = BP, CCW
Marine 7 = BP, CCW

Now that I look at it, I feel like I would rather have terminators...

I was also thinking of bumping this list up to 2000 points and putting in a drop-podding dread or some deep-striking shooty terminators.

Thoughts?

Splug
07-21-2010, 02:51 PM
If you go up to 2000, you won't have enough elite slots for two types of terminators, a dreadnought, and sternguard - so in that case there's a good reason to keep the vanguard.

In the 1500 point list, I do think 6 assault terminators will outperform 7 vanguard in almost every situation. The vanguard will have slightly more attacks, plus some pistol fire, but the terminators are otherwise more durable and 100% power weapon attacks. If you're just writing the list to be fun and have lots of guys in power armor though - then do what you want, no reason to go hyper-competitive at the price of fitting your goals.

The biggest thing I'd recommend either way is finding 15 points to throw extra armor on the land raider.