PDA

View Full Version : 2K Space Marines Srop Pod/Fun Army

ThePov
08-13-2009, 10:39 PM
Here's my idea for a list I wanted to run by you guys before I went crazy and actually bought it. Here goes:

HQ
Space Marine Captain
-Relic Blade, Storm Shield, Melta Bomb, Artificer Armor, Digital Weapons - 175 points
>Command squad
>-Champion, Company Standard, 3xCombi-Weapon, Drop Pod w/ Locator Beacon- 220 points

Elite
Sterngaurd Vets
-5 man, Power Weapon, 4xCombi-Weapon, Drop Pod w/Loactor Beacon - 205 Points

Terminator Assault Squad
-5 man, x TH/SS - 200 points

Troops
Tactical Squad
- 10 Man, Melta Gun, Multi-Melta, Power Sword, Plasma Pistol, Drop Pod - 240

Tactical Squad
- 10 Man, Melta Gun, Heavy Bolter, Power Sword, Plasma Pistol, Drop Pod - 240

Tactical Squad
- 10 Man, Melta Gun, Missile Launcher, Power Sword, Plasma Pistol, Drop Pod - 240

Tactical Squad
- 10 Man, Melta Gun, Missile Launcher, Power Sword, Plasma Pistol, Drop Pod - 240

Tactical Squad

Total: 2000 Points

I'm pretty sure the strategy here is fairly simple: Drop The Command, Stern, and two Tacs first turn, everything else whenever they come in, and blast stuff up close, using the later-arrving Tac squads to grab objectives. (If my math is wrong, feel free to correct me, it's very late ATM)

And yes, I know that assembling that many drop pods will likely send what little sanity I have left running for the hills. I don't care. If I ever actually finish this army, the pure fun factor will be insane.

foostoofoo
08-14-2009, 05:30 AM
Well it's okay and I always want to do a drop pod army myself, but I have a couple of suggestions.

Consider dropping a tactical squad or two even, for dreadnought/vanguard, something to back up your commander and his command squad, they can both take drop pods, so would fit in well with the army.

Now the combination of weapons in your tactical squads aren't that brilliant, mainly the heavy bolter and meltagun, they both serve two differnet purposes, one for troop killing and the other for tank hunting, I would consider taking a multi-melta like your first squad, as for the plasma pistols, it just seems like an un-neccesary expense, personally i would just stick with his basic bolt pistol.

You seem to have plent of tank hunting abilities but I would worry if you came up against a horde/nidzilla army, all that melta and missiles, but hardly any troop killers, i would personally think about landspeeders,which can also deepstrike, and can take flamers, assault cannons, missile launchers etc.

So overall i just think it needs a bit of tweaking, at the moment it could take on mech armies no problem, but apart from that it would struggle against, infantry heavy guard, orks, nidz etc

Cryl
08-14-2009, 06:02 AM
I do play a drop pod list and I'd completely agree with the post that talks about landspeeders and dreadnoughts being really useful. I tend to take two dreads, either ironclads with H.Flamers and meltaguns or venerables with assault cannons and h.flamers. Also look at taking landspeeders with assault cannons and multimeltas, sure they're 100 points but they're very very killy and give you the multi turn mobility that a pod list lacks.

Command squads are really nice but are awfully expensive so personally I'd consider a librarian hq instead, some of the psychic powers are very good in this codex especially gate of infinity for extra mobility - if you're not adverse to special characters then Tigurius helps a lot with ensuring you get your second wave of pods etc when you need them.

The other thing I'd add is that although a pod army is fun, you're very exposed for turn one when you're waiting for half your force to arrive. I've found that a mix of pods and mechanised infantry works particularly well. 2 dreads in pods and a tactical squad in a pod means you can get two dreads on turn one, put the rest of your army into a landraider crusader (TH/SS termies) and a couple of rhinos with tacticals and you give your opponent two big must kill headaches on turn one. Deepstriking landspeeders with meltas are awesome fun though.

Something like
Librarian in power armour with Null Zone and GoI 100
Venerable Dread with extra armour, h.flamer, assault cannon in drop pod 235
Ironclad Dread with H.Flamer, ironclad assault launchers in drop pod 195
Thunder Hammer / Storm Shield Terminator Squad * 5 200
10 Man Tactical squad with meltagun and multimelta in a drop pod 210
10 Man Tactical squad with plasma gun and plasma cannon in a rhino 220
10 Man Tactical squad with plasma gun and plasma cannon in a rhino 220
Land Speeder with assault cannon and multi melta 100
LandRaider Crusader with multimelta and extra armour 275
That's not quite 2k points and it's not even a finished or well thought out list, weapon choices need some consideration for example but it's the basis of a flexible and effective list.

That said if you want pure pods then it can be done but I'd seriously look at Tigurius for that reroll on reserves otherwise you could be left high and dry on turn two!

As with everything your mileage may vary - these are my opinions and I don't profess to be a 40k expert just saying what works for me :)

Chumbalaya
08-14-2009, 07:49 AM
If you want to go all drop, you need to be able to lay down a significant amount of hurt in 1 turn. You have to cripple your opponent before he can get away or pick you apart as you arrive piecemeal.

Tactical Squads don't do this.

Dreads and Sternguard work best here. Full squads, meltas and flamers like crazy, dropping in and blowing your enemy away. Tacticals come in later to hold objectives and reinforce your units.

Command Squad is an interesting pick, I'd rate them a bit pricey though. I like Termies coming in as protection though.

Speeders are a must.

I'd go for a MotF too so you can field even more Dreads.

ThePov
08-14-2009, 09:40 AM
Okay, I took your suggestions into account, and here's my new list. Note that I'm keeping the command squad for modeling purposes (ie. I just bought the box yesterday and I want to do cool stuff with the models).

HQ
Space Marine Captain
-Relic Blade, Storm Shield, Melta Bomb, Artificer Armor, Digital Weapons - 175 points
>Command squad
>-Champion, Company Standard, 3xCombi-Weapon, Drop Pod w/ Locator Beacon- 220 points

Elite
Sterngaurd Vets
-10 man, Power Weapon, 5xCombi-Weapon, 2xMeltagun, Drop Pod w/Loactor Beacon - 345 Points

Terminator Assault Squad

Ironclad Dread
-Hurricane Storm Bolter, Ironclad Assault Launchers, Drop pod w/ Locator Beacon - 195 points

Troops
Tactical Squad
- 10 Man, Melta Gun, Multi-Melta, Combi-Weapon, Drop Pod - 220

Tactical Squad
- 10 Man, Flamer, Heavy Bolter, Combi-Weapon, Drop Pod - 215

Tactical Squad
- 10 Man, Plasma gun, Missile Launcher, Combi-Weapon, Drop Pod - 225

Fast Attack
Land Speeder Squadron
-2x Multi-Melta, assault cannon - 100 points each, 200 total

Total: 1995 Points

Hopefully, that should cover all the bases. Command, Sternguard, and Ironclad drop in first turn and take out the biggest threats (AV 14, Demolishers and Medusas, Tyranid MCs, and the like), Landspeeders and Termies come in to seal the deal, and Tac Squads drop next to objectives. Only thing I'm not sure about is whether to squadron my Land Speeders or not.

Chumbalaya
08-14-2009, 10:10 AM
Command Squad needs work. Storm Shields, Lightning Claws, Meltaguns, and all the fun bits so they can survive the drop and do some damage.

Ironclad needs both arms and a melta.

Tacs go for flamer, multi-melta and combi-melta. They don't win combats and need the flexibility.

Speeders can split.

In this particular list, another Dread instead of the Termies would work just fine.

ThePov
08-14-2009, 10:25 AM
Yeah, well, I've already got the termies, so I'm sticking with them. And the Command squad is already tricked out, as far as I can see. I've got Combis on the three Vets, and my RAW decector says that the Champion and Apothecary aren't Vets, and so can't take extra equipment, so they're full as can be. I will crop the power swords in the Tacs for Combis, though, thats a good idea.

Darkwynn
08-14-2009, 10:27 AM
Biggest problem I have noticed when playing Drop pod armies is going against mech when they reserve against you. You need to also have something in your to be prepared for when they let you drop half of your forces on turn one and be out of position.

keithsilva
08-14-2009, 01:55 PM
Also if you face a swarm army, they will get the better of you. I have seen good drop pod armies and bad ones, you just need to be perpared for anything that will come your way, if you dont either destroy or cripple the army first turn, it will be hard to keep up

Cryl
08-22-2009, 07:09 AM
Getting there! As Chumbalaya says your command squad since you're taking it should be tooled up seriously. Take an apothcary for the FnP and give them storm shields to take the wave of death they're going to get when they land. I'd also consider giving them some meltas and power weapons (points costs permitting) as they need to be able to kill something when their pod hits the ground. I also agree with the suggestion to rework the ironclad, give it back it's assault arm and swap out the storm bolter for a meltagun.

To answer your question don't squadron the speeders, seperately they can hit two targets and don't suffer from the squadron problems and it's not like you're short on fast attack slots.

Personally I'd reconsider the sternguard, they're effective sure but are they as effective as another dread and a librarian for example? The other option is a unit of sternguard with a gate of infinity librarian using the locator beacons on the drop pods to jump about the board shooting things which can be very effective if a little too expensive for my tastes.

I find the trick to this kind of list is not so much crippling them on turn one as you're not going to be able to do that with 3 pods but giving your opponent three must kill targets on turn one, whatever isn't killed will get reinforced and start to hurt them.

ThePov
08-22-2009, 09:26 AM
Well, the command squad is already about as tooled up as I can get, three combi-meltas, an apothecary (which comes standard, so I didn't list him), and a Champion to back of the Captain once he gets stuck in. Unfortunately, ATM I don't manyhave points for Storm shields (and the squad has already been built without them), but your librarian suggestion sounds pretty good, actually. How's this?

HQ
Space Marine Captain
>Command squad
>-Champion (w/Storm Shield), Apothecary, Company Standard, 3xCombi-Weapon, Drop Pod w/ Locator Beacon- 235 points

Librarian
-Combi-Weapon, Gates and Smite, 115 Points

Elite

SternGuard Vets
-5 man, 3x Combi Weapon, 2xMeltagun, Drop Pod W/Locator - 195

Terminator Assault Squad

Ironclad Dread
-Heavy Flamer for Storm Bolter, Ironclad Assault Launchers, 2x Hunter Killer, Drop pod w/ Locator Beacon - 225 points

Troops
Tactical Squad
- 10 Man, Flamer, Multi-Melta, Combi-Weapon, Drop Pod - 215

Tactical Squad

Tactical Squad

Fast Attack
Land Speeder Squadron
-2x Multi-Melta, assault cannon - 100 points each, 200 total

Total: 1995 Points

Cryl
08-22-2009, 10:55 AM
There's a few bits and peices I'd change but it's now becoming entirely personal taste rather than what's effective. I'd playtest that list, you'll probably find bits that you change but give it a go.

That said if you're not too attached to the sternguard then swap them out for another dread and attach the librarian to the command squad... he now gets FnP and the entire squad can gate about the board making for a nice deathstar unit!

You're going to have a good time with that list, drop pods are fun :)