PDA

View Full Version : Rally Fleeing Units Question

DarkAngelHopeful
07-21-2010, 12:59 AM
Dear BoLS readers,

The new 8th edition rule book is amazing. I have enjoyed reading it so far. However, I have checked GW's website and I can't find a FAQ on the main rule book and I have a rules question that I would like your input on.

On pg. 24 of the BRB in bold lettering it says, "A unit that has less than 25% of its starting models left can only rally on a roll of a double 1." Meanwhile, a little while later in plain text it says, "If the fleeing unit has been reduced in size to a quarter (25%) or less of the number of models with which it began the game, it can only pass its Rally rest on a double 1....."

At the onset, these seem to be the same rule, however there is a subtle difference that could make a difference in game.

Let me reiterate, The bold type says, "less than 25%." The plain text says, "25% or less."

The bold type says in a unit of 20 models you can lose 5 and be fleeing and still rally on regular leadership.
The plain text says in a unit of 20 models if you lose 5 you have to rally with a double 1.

Since I haven't played since 5th edition and haven't been able to play 8th edition I don't know if that will make a big difference, but it's worth noting that the wording is different.

Thoughts?

Respectfully,
DarkAngelHopeful

P.S. This isn't a thread to start bashing the rulebook for minor inconsistencies. I actually really like it. I just need some clarification.

P.S.S. I hope I didn't break any forum rules by posting wording from the BRB.

*goes back to winning the war one set of paperwork at a time*

UltramarineFan
07-21-2010, 03:01 AM
There doesn't seem to be any way to tell which you're meant to use but what I would say is that you're example is wrong. If you read the wording it's saying that you need to be at(or below) 25% of your starting number, so this rule only applies to your unit of 20 when they get down to only 5 men left, not when they lose 5 men.

Fizyx
07-21-2010, 04:38 AM
I agree.

The second rule says reduced to 25% or less, not reduced by 25% or less. The rules are in agreement.

DarkAngelHopeful
07-21-2010, 05:51 AM
I agree with you both partly. I did missread the rule. I understand that it means in a unit of 20 if you are down to 5, or in otherwords lose 15 models, then you need to roll doulble 1s to rally.

However, the wording is still not the same in both sections.

In bold it says "A unit that has less than 25% of its starting models left can only rally on a roll of a double 1."

So, that's saying in a unit of 20 if you get down to 5 models left you still roll normal leadership to rally because you have to have "less" than 25%. Basically, you would have to have 4 or less models for it to take effect.

The plain text says, "If the fleeing unit has been reduced in size to a quarter (25%) or less of the number of models with which it began the game, it can only pass its Rally test on a double 1..."

So, that's saying that a unit of 20 is reduced to 5 models or less has to test on double 1s.

The difference is, the first rule says you don't have to roll double 1's if you have 5 models left. The second rule says you have to roll double 1's if you have 5 models left.

I apologize for miss reading the rules and the original example, but the discrepancy still stands.

So, that's why I'm confused. It's basically the difference between less than or (equal to or less than).
So, which is it?

Respectfully,
DarkAngelHopeful

AirHorse
07-21-2010, 06:59 AM
I noticed this as well, but i just assumed that you went with the non-bolded text since the bold text is a summary of the actual rules without the specific details.

DarkAngelHopeful
07-21-2010, 07:11 AM
I noticed this as well, but i just assumed that you went with the non-bolded text since the bold text is a summary of the actual rules without the specific details.

After reading further in the rules and seeing a few more minor discrepancies between the bold and the plain text I had come to that conclusion as well. I'm glad you saw it too, I was beginning to think I was going crazy...

Essayons
07-21-2010, 10:06 PM
Yep...that'd be my call too. The bold text are just section headers. Go with the actual rule's text.

Essayons.

Hatsgames
07-22-2010, 01:39 PM
After reading the book for a while I agree that bold text is not actual rules text. FYI, buyer beware, bold text applies to the charts in the back of the book too!

DarkAngelHopeful
07-24-2010, 07:19 AM
The final answer from the FAQ is:

"Page 24 – Rally Fleeing Units
Change the third sentence of the first paragraph to “A unit that
has 25% or less of its starting models left can only rally on a
roll of double 1.”

Respectfully,
DarkAngelHopeful