PDA

View Full Version : Stormvermin - What to equip?

Straker
07-22-2010, 02:23 AM
Hello all! First off, while I have dabbled in 40k somewhat -- the new edition of Warhammer has recently begun to spur my interest.

Skaven, in particular, seem very compelling (especially with forthcoming boxed set) -- not as a competitive army (in that I mean, winning is not my focus), but something fun to try out with an interesting backstory.

So, to test the waters I'm thinking of painting up a box of Stormvermin to see if I like how they paint. At the very worst, I end up with a nice showpiece on my shelf -- but if I decide to continue the army, I'd like for my finished models not be gimped because they were equipped purely for aesthetic purposes.

The question, then, is how best to equip the models so that they can be of future use?

I know, I should just buy the rules and army book, but I already have a pile of 40k models that need finishing and i just want to see if Warhammer captures the same level of interest :)

Thanks in advance!

Old_Paladin
07-22-2010, 06:42 AM
Well, with stormvermin, there's really only one option:
Shields or no shields? As they have heavy armour and halberds as standard.

The major downside of shields is that it makes the stormvermin cost more points and they aren't allowed to use it in melee (because they must fight with the halberds), the slight upside is that it gives them a better save against shooting.
Personally, It's probably better to keep them cheaper and not add shields.

The only other thing is that your Fangleader can take things from the scrap-pile (poisons, tail-weapon, pistol, stuff like that); but as this is only one model, it'd be easy enough to make two or three different fangleaders with the equipment you think you might want (and the others could end up being cheiftains).

Straker
07-22-2010, 12:27 PM
Hmm, I thought there were more options. But looking at the pictures in White Dwarf again, I guess I was just thinking about Clanrats.

Thanks for the advice!

On a side note, how would you equip a box of Clanrats? Looking at the Games-Workshop site, I hadn't realize that there was such a massive difference in price between the two troops.

Orminah
07-22-2010, 05:13 PM
Spears and shields.

Akimbo Lizard
07-22-2010, 07:29 PM
Spears and shields.

Agreed, I bought my first box and if you Horde them you can't take full advantage so I'll just use them as 5 x 4 to get the strength in numbers

Liazardman
07-23-2010, 06:08 AM
I made a similar comment about stormvermin on BoLS proper. Shields were great for vermin last ed. since you could use them to turtle up for a 3+ save in CC and still ruin someones day. Now that they cannot use the shield in cc you lose the biggest benefit of it (the 6+ parry save) and u can't claim the armor bonus. You can take the shield for 4+ at range but your better just getting more models.

I love running My stormvermin with the doom flayer as it really adds a bit of punch. I also throw in the new Razor Banner which gives the vermin the armor piercing rule meaning all enemy armor saves are now going to be taken at -2.

Also I have found that on small bases its great to run a unit of 30 in 6x5 for the extra couple atks and the ability to lose a model before you lose a rank

Straker
07-23-2010, 12:24 PM
Cool, thanks for the advice everyone!

I'll be heading to the store today. Depending on prices / bank situation, I'll be grabbing either a box of Stormvermin (which look awesome to paint) or Clanrats.

This may yet be the start of a glorious new under-army!

Orminah
07-23-2010, 01:40 PM
Bah. Plague Monks are the coolest. Lol.