PDA

View Full Version : 1500 Space Wolf "Fun" list

BlindGunn
07-22-2010, 11:15 AM
So, I have a list here I've used a few times. It's not done bad so far so I thought I'd share it with you all and get your opinions.

While it's probably going to see the light of a tournament in a couple of months, the list is designed around (mostly) models I already HAVE (and mostly have had for years). I don't expect to win a tournament with it, mainly because I can't roll dice worth beans. I'm looking more to play against the "fun" crowd who know they're not in the running for the big prizes! :cool:

Wolf Lord (Will join Grey Hunter Pack #1 in a Drop Pod)
- Frost Blade
- Belt of Russ
- Saga of Warrior Born

Wolf Priest (Will join Blood Claws in a Drop Pod)
- Plasma Pistol

9 X Grey Hunters (Grey Hunters #1)
- Melta Gun
- Plasma Pistol
- Drop Pod

10 X Grey Hunters (Grey Hunters #2)
- 2 X Plasma Rifles
- Power Fist
- Mark of the Wolfen
- Drop Pod

5 X Grey Hunters (Grey Hunters #3)
- Optional - Flamer
- Razorback w/ Lascannon TL Plasma Guns

9 X Blood Claws
- Power Fist
- Drop Pod

5 X Long Fangs
- 1 X Lascannon
- 3 X Missile - er, "Rocket Launchers" (It works - don't ask me why)
- Razorback w/ Lascannon TL Plasma Gun

Vindicator Tank
- Extra Armor

Reason for 3 drop pods? So I can drop 2 at the same time in the 1st turn! Usually the GH will screen the Blood Claws and try to take out a tank or transport with the Melta/Plasma Pistol. (So far, the Plasma is doing the better job!) :eek:
If he charges the Grey Hunters - he's got problems. If they survive the Grey Hunters, the Blood Claws will help wrap it up the next turn.

2 Old-Style Razorbacks - just cause I got 'em and they're Cool! :cool:
(Main reason I took the 3rd GH Squad!) Also, plan is to protect the side-armour of the Vindicator if I can't find the protection it needs in terrain.

Lascannon with the Long Fangs? Well, I appreciate the versatility of the "Rocket Launchers", but when you're facing Armour 13, you need the extra punch of the Lascannon.

List lets me use 3 lascannons per turn to take out vehicles and transports and if the GH squad doesn't deviate too badly, the Melta/plasma will take out another. When the last GH squad lands - the Plasmas are great against Marines and other light vehicles. They've also taken out 2 dreadnoughts in one game, just by maneuver and shooting plasma.

PinoyC
07-26-2010, 12:03 AM
SW army w/o a Rune Priest...wow...not bad or anything...just...new?...almost like it was original.

Lord: not too expensive=good, but Saga of Warrior Born. No use until you get to the 2nd round of CC which can take who knows how long to get to...I'm not too impressed w/ it myself but I haven't really used sagas yet either.

I like that you have lots of troopers but one thing is that if you don't have 1st turn, your LFs, Vindi, and RBs are going to probably eat $***. I'd go for your vindi and let my scouts eat your LFs for lunch...holy crap you don't have scouts. (Dude I can send you some old ones if I dig em out PM me if interested).

I'm an armor kind of guy and three tanks against a horde of anti-armor these days will outright destroy them in quick succession (depends on your area).

Luckily you're playing the army for drop pods (counter-charge FTW)...however, once you lose the GH's in the RB, you're sorely out manoevered. Make sure you put the pod squads where it counts.

I recommend that you get another LF sqd OR another Vindi for redundancy and/or another RB/RH sqd if possible.

BlindGunn
07-26-2010, 10:45 AM
SW army w/o a Rune Priest...wow...not bad or anything...just...new?...almost like it was original.
Sad fact is - I never used one before this codex and when I do, I usually forget to use his powers... :eek:

Lord: not too expensive=good, but Saga of Warrior Born. No use until you get to the 2nd round of CC which can take who knows how long to get to...I'm not too impressed w/ it myself but I haven't really used sagas yet either.

Usually not an issue with the Lord. He deep strikes 1st turn pretty close so the Grey Hunters can Double-tap or threaten a tank with the Melta/Plasma. Only once has he failed to kill 10+ models in a game - he wiped out the unit in two turns, but my opponent retreated away everything not locked into combat! Lord hung onto an objective with the GH Survivors until the end of the game - my opponent just refused to take the bait! :D

I like that you have lots of troopers but one thing is that if you don't have 1st turn, your LFs, Vindi, and RBs are going to probably eat $***. I'd go for your vindi and let my scouts eat your LFs for lunch...holy crap you don't have scouts. (Dude I can send you some old ones if I dig em out PM me if interested).

Yes, Long Fangs have been a concern. So far, they've been doing well and I usually keep at least one Razorback beside them, just in case they need the support. I took the Vindicator as a "Fire Magnet" and surprisingly, it's not only distracted my opponents, it's survived to inflict damage.

Those times I don't get the 1st turn, I'll hold everything off the table depending on terrain and opponent. If I can get good cover, I'll leave things on, regardless.

I'm an armor kind of guy and three tanks against a horde of anti-armor these days will outright destroy them in quick succession (depends on your area).

Luckily you're playing the army for drop pods (counter-charge FTW)...however, once you lose the GH's in the RB, you're sorely out manoevered. Make sure you put the pod squads where it counts.

I recommend that you get another LF sqd OR another Vindi for redundancy and/or another RB/RH sqd if possible.
Unfortunately, we're playing 1500 points here. I'm very limited on what to spend on. There are no free points left in this list (if I calculated it correctly).

Don't have another Vindicator (don't know if I want to buy another one either as I already have 3 Land Raiders I seldom use) I did experiment with dropping the Long Fangs and getting another GH Squad in a Rhino, but I lost too much Anti-Armour that way. Maybe if I replace the LF with another GH squad in the Razorback and "add some toys". (Or maybe that Rune Priest...)

Thanks for the feedback!

Unholy_Martyr
07-29-2010, 11:40 AM
Looks like a solid list to me with all of your bases covered, and you're having fun which is the important list.

Rune Priests are really a one trick pony...they make the game very boring. The only time I use them is for when I go for ridiculous shooting armies (i.e. 3 Rune Priests and 15 Long Fangs). They can make things interesting.

I would look into some additional ranged firepower to help out with the staticness of your force...possibly exchanging the Vindicator as I would be against dropping S10 AP2 templates when Drop Podding in, but that's just me.

blackarmchair
07-30-2010, 04:10 AM
- 3 X Missile - er, "Rocket Launchers" (It works - don't ask me why)

It's true. My Long Fangs used to be cursed, they had 5 LF with Rockets and a WG Termie with Cyclone Rockets and they couldn't kill even a lowly rhino most of the time. I once even lost 4/7 of the pack to dangerous terrain...yup - terrain.

But then I started writing my armylists with the word "rockets" in place of...well...the word I'm too paranoid to say and all of a sudden they're doing pretty well.

tldr; BlindGunn is completely correct.

BlindGunn
07-30-2010, 10:52 AM
I would look into some additional ranged firepower to help out with the staticness of your force...possibly exchanging the Vindicator as I would be against dropping S10 AP2 templates when Drop Podding in, but that's just me.
<Chuckle> Yup, the Deviation does tend to cause those hairs on the back of my head to rise once in a while. ;)

Surprisingly, I can't think of a time where I lost any of my own troops to it. I do know there have been times where I will skip a target because my guys are too close to the target, but I've also used it to blast a unit before my Blood Claws charge in during CC phase, too.

I thought of replacing it with an Annhilator, but seeing as we can't "buy" Machine Spirit anymore, it can only target 1 target / turn. 3 Lascannon are nice, but I got caught against a hoard army and got punished for it. The Vindicator was collecting dust and I figured the 5" blast was good for vehicles and hoards.

I don't have a Destructor. I may have to fix that. Maybe replace the LF Razorback with one? Then the Vin and Des can provide covering fire for each other? :confused: