PDA

View Full Version : Historical Games

Aldramelech
07-23-2010, 09:25 AM
How many people here, like me, Play historical Games as well as Sci-Fi Fantasy?

Anybody into Napolionics, American Civil War, WW2, Ancients, Medievals etc.

What scales and rules do you play?

scadugenga
07-23-2010, 07:34 PM
Furthest I ever got into "historicals" were boardgames like Squad Leader and Axis & Allies.

Though I remember the Fog of War game for the pc way back when. Does that count? :P

Aldramelech
07-24-2010, 12:17 AM
Squad Leader is an excellent game, although most people adapt it to play with actual figures in the same way Napoleons Battles started as a board game. I do like a board game every now and again, my friend has the GW "Dracular" game and I really enjoy "Frag".

Beta_Ray_Bill
07-24-2010, 01:25 AM
Biased poll is biased.

Aldramelech
07-24-2010, 02:18 AM
Biased poll is biased.

Unashamedly so. This thread is for those that do or might want to, those that don't and are not interested needn't concern themselves..........

DarkAngelHopeful
07-24-2010, 02:34 AM
I play Axis & Allies. Godstorm Risk is fun too, albeit mythological History. FRAG is fun too.

gwensdad
07-24-2010, 12:14 PM
I don't, but most of our 40K groups have historical armies. But they can be a bit snobby on what is a "historical" game. To them, if it doesn't require a month of research to field the "proper" army, it isn't historical. Axis&Allies-not a historical game. Johnny Red (one of their favorites)-if you don't have a corp, you're not a real gamer.

Aldramelech
07-24-2010, 01:47 PM
Johnny Reb Im guessing.

They dont let you join in?

gwensdad
07-24-2010, 02:02 PM
Sorry, yeah Johnny REB (not Red-but that sounds like a kick-*** name for a game)
I am "welcome" but really can't afford to buy troops or figure out if I'm stepping on toes by modeling "someone elses" units.

(Also, this is JR 2nd edition, because the newest is HERETICAL! People who play it are not as "ENLIGHTENED!" as they)

Aldramelech
07-24-2010, 03:23 PM
At my club people assemble large historical armies from a multitude of periods and we tend to play multi player games (6-8 people). We don't expect people to have figures for every game we play. I played a large American war of Independence game last week, all figures and terrain provided by one club member, next week I'm playing 28mm Franco-Prussian War, again being put on by another member. At some point it will be my turn to provide the game. This does mean that when I choose to do a period, for instance I'm starting 28mm American Civil War soon, I have to do both sides, but providing a nights entertainment for several members is throughly enjoyable. This system works really well and ensures that there is a huge amount of choice. There are several members who do not own any historical armies but still join in regularly.

Haven't played Johnny Reb for years, might have to dust of my copy.

Chappy
08-10-2010, 08:05 PM
I play more historicals now than anything; pretty much 99% of the time now actually.

Currently we play various rules for:
1/2000 Age of Sail
15mm WW2
28mm Western skirmish
1/300? WW1 aerial