PDA

View Full Version : 40Kalc - Calculator for Android

Spien
07-25-2010, 01:51 AM
Howdy,

I'm pleased to let you guys know that I released a "mathhammer" calculator for Android. It assists with calculating unsaved wounds and vehicle damage probability. It factors everything from rerolls to FNP. You don't need to know anything about "mathhammer", just set your BS, Strength, AP, etc... For assaults and shooting it gives you the mean and 68th/95th percentiles.

I released a full version and a lite version. The lite version allows you to doing shooting calculations (limited to 10 shots in a salvo). The full version, which costs $0.99, has an assault and vehicle damage calculator as well as the shooting calculator (up to100 shots in a salvo).

Take a look, search for "40Kalc" on the Android Market.

I'm always looking for feedback and suggestions. Thanks.

Connjurus
07-25-2010, 02:09 AM
Awesome idea. While I personally believe that mathhammer can take you only so far, it definitely gives you something to build on. Will definitely be looking into the full version. :)

Orminah
07-25-2010, 08:25 AM
Sorry, I'm not sold. While my HTC loves apps, I however, do not like spending money on something I can do myself.

Great job though; someone's been needing to do that for people who want it!

Jezlad
07-25-2010, 09:29 AM
You can always check out the Heresy Combat Calculator.

http://www.heresy-online.net/combatcalculator/shooting.php

Never tried to access it from a mobile device though...

The Inner Geek
07-27-2010, 09:25 AM
Just what I need, another way to waste time on my phone!

Great idea though!

Spien
07-27-2010, 12:35 PM
Sorry Geek, hehe.

I'm currently working on a UI redesign. A "home" screen will be added and Vehicle and Shooting calculators will be combined, which will effectively add the vehicle calculator to the Lite version. Also, the redesign add support for mixed weapon squads in the full version. I'm tempted to add a turn tracker a game log. The turn tracker will include a timer with a log of turn changes. The game log will allow you to track your previous games and take some notes about it. These two tool will be available in the full version.

I'm thinking about adding a dice roller, but I personally don't see the value as I would never allow an opponent to use a dice rolling app. It's just makes cheating too easy.

Defenestratus
08-05-2010, 10:40 AM
Sorry, I'm not sold. While my HTC loves apps, I however, do not like spending money on something I can do myself.

Great job though; someone's been needing to do that for people who want it!

What silly reasoning.

I COULD make my own clothes, but I choose to purchase them instead.

I COULD get off my dairy-air and drive overto my friend's house to deliver a message, but I bought a phone to do that instead.

Loving this tool on my Droid. Hopefully it works just as well on my Droid X when it arrives!

Defenestratus
08-05-2010, 10:55 AM
Just sent you a feature request

Things that need to be added are Melta effects, Lance and Rending :)

Spien
08-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Defenestratus, I got your requests and they will be in the next update, which I'm working on today after I play some SC2.

You will love the Droid X.

fenris357
08-25-2010, 02:29 PM
oustanding work my man.a fantastic aid for us all!

Spien
08-31-2010, 12:50 AM
fenris357, thanks for the complement. Sorry for taking a while to get out an update. Android is a learning experience and I know now more about touch events and canvas drawing then I ever wanted to know. Users sent some great feedback and as a result, late this weekend I should be pushing out the new UI, mixed weapon squads, and missing attributes like melta/rending/etc...

A moment ago I released an update to the Lite version, which includes improved slider mechanics and ad support. The cap on "# of shots" has been raised from 10 to 30.

The biggest complaint I received from users was the problematic scrolling and accidental movement of sliders. Those issues should resolved on the lite version. Now, sliders can only adjusted by moving the "thumb" and any gestures on the bar itself will cause a scroll and not cause the thumb to jump to a different value.

The Full version will get the improved sliders in the next couple of days, after the have been tested on the Lite version. As always, I'm open to suggestions and look forward to your feedback.

Spien
08-31-2010, 07:41 PM
Just released 40Kalc 1.5. The update includes the improved sliders released yesterday in the Lite version.

-- Roadmap --
2.0 - New UI, mixed weapon squads, missing attributes - Full/Lite released late this this weekend or mid next week
3.0 - Mission Roller, turn log/timer, game log/notes - 3-4 weeks

Spien
09-08-2010, 11:07 AM
Relased 1.6.2, which includes remote error reporting tool and a bug fix for an error that was causing the application to crash on open. Also adjusted the app manifest to include all screen types and densities.

If the app was crashing when you opened it or it wansn't showing in the Market, check it out now.

Spien
09-17-2010, 11:32 AM
1.7 has been released for full and lite versions.

The full version now has rending and sniper attributes in the shooting calculator. These two attributes and melta are coming in the next update. The apps now have a new icon.

Spien
01-03-2011, 04:00 PM
Update coming out this evening or tomorrow.

Changes in 1.8:
* Using a new mathammer library (I may publish the source/jar for use in non-mobile applications)
* Shooting at Vehicles has new weapon attributes: Metla, Rending, Lance, Sniper
* Close Combat has new weapon attributes: Power Weapon, Power First, Rending, Lighting Claws, Thunder Hammer, Witch Blade
* Close combat has poison slider
* Shooting at Vehicles has cover slider
* Shooting has cover slider

Happy New Year!

WereWolf_nr
01-05-2011, 11:18 AM
Just downloaded the lite version, but right off the bat I noticed that the BS slider only goes to 5. There are some models that have a BS of 6 or more. The BRB has a chart for rerolling 1s if the BS is 6+.

Spien
01-05-2011, 03:54 PM
Good catch. I will fix that in the next update.

Defenestratus
01-06-2011, 07:26 AM
Have you tried using the app creator tool that Google released? It seems that with a "simple" application like this (meaning its not graphically intense) it would be right in the wheelhouse of the app creator tool.

Spien
01-08-2011, 06:11 PM
Defenestratus, I have looked at the Google App Inventor and it's a great tool.

40Kalc uses a mathhammer Java library that is being developed separately for general use in any Java application. I may be wrong, but don't believe the Google App Inventor supports loading jar files. Also, the sliders in 40Kalc are a custom control that improves upon the SeekBar provided by Google and I don't believe that it could be easy recreated in the App Inventor.

Gir
01-08-2011, 10:04 PM
Port it to Windows Phone 7 and I'll buy it :P

Spien
01-09-2011, 02:48 AM
When WP7 has enough market share to be a clear competitor to iOS and Android I considering making an app. First, I need to port it 40Kalc to the iPhone.

Gir
01-09-2011, 03:20 AM
Turns out WP7 just uses C#, so I can just port my own app I was preping for Windows 7 tablets over anyway :P

Deadlift
01-09-2011, 12:49 PM
Not a big fan of the math side of what is supposed to be just a game, me and my friends just play for a laugh, a few beers and generally take the piss out of each others painting.

Good work though I am sure some players will love it and my hat goes off to you :)

Spien
01-10-2011, 11:57 AM
Gir, if you need any help with the math portion let me know. Calculations involving meltas and rending be kinda tricky. I spent more time working on the math library then the actual UI.

Deadlift, thanks.