PDA

View Full Version : Aldramelechs American Civil War

Aldramelech
07-26-2010, 04:36 AM
Soooo This is a nice new shiny area of BOLS ain't it?

This thread might be a little premature as this project is not starting properly quite yet. But you will get the full process from planning and buying, right through to the finished product:)

Since my return to wargaming after a long absence, I have being trying to build up my collection from scratch again and WFB and 40k have up till now taken priority so that I can take part in various club leagues.

Well I'm there now. 501st Cadian was finished a while ago and my dwarf throng is one unit away from being finished. I am now free to concentrate on my first love, historical games. Early war Soviet for FOW is first, and you can see in the thread in the FOW area that work has begun and will start in earnest now the Dwarfs are complete. I don't envisage them taking me more then two-three months max.

So I have begun to plan a project that will take at least a year after that. 28mm American Civil War.

I have looked very carefully for a game that A/ No one else is doing in that scale at my club b/ that interests me and c/ Would not be too expensive.

Having had a look at the Perry Twins plastics for ACW and the amazing price for which they can be had on Ebay this made choosing these two armies a no brainer. I want to do the first two years of the war as the later period is very hard to make an enjoyable game out of.

This is what Ive come up with:

Union. II Corps First Division.

1st Brigade.

5th Newhampshire
7 New York
61st New York
81st Pennsylvania

2nd (Irish) Brigade

29th Massachusetts
63rd New York
69th New York
88th New York
116 Pennsylvania

Attachments.

Battery B 1st New York (3x 3ich ordnance rifles)

6th New York Cavalry (Attached to Division Cmdr.)

This is obviously only part of the Division, I'm not that rich!

Confederate. Ewells Division. Winders Brigade.

2nd Virginia
4th Virginia
5th Virginia
9th Virginia
27th Virginia
33rd Virginia

Lee's Brigade

1st Virginia Cavalry
4th Virginia Cavalry
5th Virginia Cavalry

Attachments

Danville (Virginia) Artillery - Woodings Battery. (2x 12pdr Napoleon 1x 3 inch Enfield)

Lees Brigade is short a unit. The only liberty I have taken is the 9th Virginia was in a different brigade, but there were quite a few 6 Regiment Brigades in the army.

I think this should provide an interesting game........

Infantry Regiments will be 18 figures strong. Cavalry Regiments will be 9 figures strong, dismounting into Infantry skirmishers 6 figures strong. So we have 15 units of foot, 4 units of Cav, 6 guns and various command figures. Also I intend to have full limbers for all the guns.

Total cost, hopefully £200.

3 boxes of Perry Cavalry have already been acquired from ebay at less then £10 a box, so thats the mounted figures sorted. I will need 4 packs of Perry's metal cav dismounts and 4 sets of horseholders to complete the Cavalry for both sides. These will have to be bought from Perry Miniatures as the likelihood of them appearing on Ebay is nil.

So Lots to buy, build and paint! And I haven't even looked at terrain yet! :eek:

celldwellwer
11-16-2010, 12:16 AM
What battle are you using for the order of battle? It looks like and Antietam but the 9th Virgina was not there. And what is a 3" Enfield or did you mean an 3 inch ordnance rifle?

And my last question how many men does one figure represent

Aldramelech
11-16-2010, 07:21 AM
What battle are you using for the order of battle? It looks like and Antietam but the 9th Virgina was not there. And what is a 3" Enfield or did you mean an 3 inch ordnance rifle?

And my last question how many men does one figure represent

I'm not using any Battle for the order of battle, I am using the time period of around Antietam, but I'm not looking to specifically re-create that particular battle and I did say in my post that I had taken liberties with the 9th Virginia.

The 3" Enfield was imported by the South in very small numbers from Great Britain and is unusual in that it can be breach loaded or if need be muzzle loaded. For game purposes it will be the same as the 3" Ordnance.

Figure scale is irrelevant as the home grown rules I'm using (and no, I didn't write them) don't have casualty removal. Each unit is allocated strength points and they are knocked off on paper as the unit gets worn down, this was thought to be a better way of representing the huge variety in unit strength during the war as well as being more pleasing to the eye by the author.

Happy now?

All of which is moot now anyway as this project has been OBE and is now on the back burner for a long time due to me being seduced by N*zi Zombies.

Drunkencorgimaster
12-31-2010, 05:14 PM
Hey Aldramelech,

If you ever expand your 2nd Corps, don't forget 1st Minnesota. My great-great grandfather was in that unit:)

PS: Long time no talk, hope you've been well.

[QUOTE=Aldramelech;90569]Soooo This is a nice new shiny area of BOLS ain't it?

Union. II Corps First Division.

1st Brigade.

5th Newhampshire
7 New York
61st New York
81st Pennsylvania

2nd (Irish) Brigade

29th Massachusetts
63rd New York
69th New York
88th New York
116 Pennsylvania

Battery B 1st New York (3x 3ich ordnance rifles)

6th New York Cavalry (Attached to Division Cmdr.)

This is obviously only part of the Division, I'm not that rich!