PDA

View Full Version : 1500pt IG

KevinG
07-26-2010, 07:29 PM
Heres my attempt at an IG list, wana get some advice before i buy it

HQ:
Company Command Squad (165pts) - 4 x Plasmagun, Chimera /w Heavy Flamer

Elite:
Storm Trooper Squad (115pts) - 2 x Melta, Sergeant w/ Bolt Pistol & Power Weapon

Storm Trooper Squad (115pts) - 2 x Melta, Sergeant w/ Bolt Pistol & Power Weapon

Troops:
Vetran Squad #1 (100pts) - 3 x Melta

Vetran Squad #2 (100pts) - 3 x Melta

Vetran Squad #3 (100pts) - 3 x Melta

Fast Attack:
Valkyrie (140pts) - 2 x Missile Pods, 2 x Heavy Bolter Sponsons

Valkyrie Vendetta (130pts) - 3 x TL Lascannon

Valkyrie Vendetta (130pts) - 3 x TL Lascannon

Heavy Support

Leman Russ Demolisher (165pts) - Heavy Flamer

Hydra Flak Tank (75pts)

Total Pts: 1500

*Theory is that the Vetran Squads will ride in the Valykries, the Storm Troopers will Deep Strike, and the Leman Russ's will demolish things.

Mr.MoreTanks
07-27-2010, 03:21 PM
Personally I think Stormtroopers are not at all worth their points. They die like fish and just cost more than three normal guardsmen. Also, since your demolishers really dont have any other guns on them it might be a better choice to make them medusas and save yourself some points. That's is just my thought though, it looks like you have a theme so stick with it! haha

Nungunz
07-28-2010, 04:11 PM
I'd have to disagree on the storm troopers. I find that they are very versatile, especially when given an chimera (their scout ability is conferred onto the transport). It gives them a lot of tactical flexibility. Granted they are overpriced, but eh, you take what you can get.

I'm not really a fan of depending so much on the Vendettas to deliver the infantry. It usually ends up being a glass cannon. Against a smart opponent you may get flattened as 3 AV12 vehicles aren't that hard to kill (or at least stop them from shooting).

Bolt pistol and power weapon on the stormy sergeants are a waste. Get rid of them.

List overall is a bit melta heavy (5 melta squads, 2 Demolishers, 2 Vendettas are more than enough to handle any vehicles).

I'd prefer seeing x3 flamer squads in Vendettas and x3 melta in the Valkyrie. Vendetta can pop transports and troops can unload on troops with flamers. Melta can pop vehicles and rocket pods can take care of troops. It's good synergy either way.

Don't take door guns on the Valkyrie. With Rocket Pods you can move 12" and fire all your weapons (x2 pods and the multilaser) and since this thing has shorter range guns, you'll be moving a lot. The Bolters won't be shooting much.

Here is a weird one that breaks all logic. Heavy Bolters are actually good on Vendettas. You should only be moving 6" a turn so you can unload all of the TL-Lascannons anway so you'll be able to fire the HBs as well. HBs have the potential of hurting light vehicles, but here is the kicker. At some point you will run out of vehicles to shoot at...what do you point 3 Lascannons at next? HBs give you a lot of flexibility for almost no cost. Anti-armour, anti-infantry, anti-MC, anti-Heavy infantry.

If you don't believe me, just proxy it for a few games. I was always against the HBs on Vendettas until I started trying them out.

Demolishers are great!

Hydra. Hmmmmm, they are awesome vehicles, but I don't know if they fit your list very well. Your army is very mobile and a hydra needs to stay static be work at maximum effectiveness. 2 - 3 scout sentinels with multilasers or autocannons (while much easier to kill) would probably serve you better as they aren't penalized for movement, you can use them as blockers, or outflank them.

You list seems very similar to the 1500 one I posted a bit ago. Take a look and see if anything appeals to you. http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=8593

You have a very strong list even without my advice. Happy hunting!

KevinG
07-30-2010, 06:41 PM
HQ:
Company Command Squad (195pts) - 4 x Plasmagun, Chimera /w Heavy Flamer, Astropath

Elite:
Storm Trooper Squad (121pts) - 2 x Melta

Storm Trooper Squad (121pts) - 2 x Melta

Troops:
Vetran Squad #1 (85pts) - 3 x Flamer

Vetran Squad #2 (85pts) - 3 x Flamer

Vetran Squad #3 (155pts) - 3 x Melta, Chimera w/ Heavy Flamer

Fast Attack:
Scout Sentinel Squad (120pts) - 3x Sentinels w/ Autocannons

Valkyrie Vendetta (140pts) - 3 x TL Lascannon, Heavy Bolter Sponsons

Valkyrie Vendetta (140pts) - 3 x TL Lascannon, Heavy Bolter Sponsons

Heavy Support

Total Pts: 1492

Malkov
07-31-2010, 05:35 AM
Honestly I don't see how Stormtroopers help this list. Their extreme cost is limiting you to only 3 scoring units, all of which are set up for suicide attacks.

For IG, you're presenting a very small amount of targets. What do you do vs missile heavy SW? Roll over?

@Sentinels: 120 for 3 Autocannons is very costly. HWS are almost half the cost.

Nungunz
07-31-2010, 09:12 AM
Yeah, with what you have, I agree with Malkov. Sorry if I wasn't clear on storm troopers, they do have a lot of options available and are versatile, but they aren't for every list. Buff up your troop slots before using storm troopers (I typically don't start using them until at least 1750.

That lone melta veteran squad and the CCS are going to get blown to pieces quickly. More veteran squads in chimeras to get some target saturation out there.

What is the astropath really doing for you? This list doesn't look like it depends on outflanking or reserves at all so he isn't that big a necessity.

In regards to the sentinel comment. Very true, but sentinels function a lot differently than HWS. They are mobile, harder to kill, can move at a decent pace through terrain, can block off choke points, can outflank. Killing power isn't everything.

HWS and Sentinels are both good units, but it depends on the rest of the army list for what's appropriate. In this list, platoons are a bit of a crutch.

Granted Malkov is also correct. Until you get more chimeras on the field and fill out the troop slots, 3 sentinels really aren't worth the investment.