PDA

View Full Version : Age of Sail Wargames

Col.Gravis
07-27-2010, 02:56 PM
Just a quick post in the new forum, a group of us are working on a Spanish Armada Ruleset at the moment, it's in very early stages at the moment but is there anyone interested in Naval Wargames from the age of sail, and if so may potentially be interested in some play testing later down the line?

Aldramelech
07-28-2010, 12:23 AM
Ohhhhh Yes. I play Napoleonic and Anglo-Dutch war.

Check out Rob Langtons Anglo Dutch war rules http://www.rodlangton.com/anglodutch/anglodutch.htm for some good idea's, not much changed between the two periods. Their quite cheap too.

Pleaaaase tell me your not using Warhammer Trafalgar for inspiration??????????????? :)

Col.Gravis
07-28-2010, 02:37 AM
Will do if we can!

No we're pretty much starting with various ideas from a few free period rulesets with a few bits inspired by BFG & AI.

Aldramelech
08-10-2010, 08:39 AM
Unfortunately it was written by a bunch of guys who apparently know nothing at all about how to sail a ship!

The rules are seriously flawed as a result.

Chappy
08-10-2010, 05:45 PM
I have Spanish, French, British, and American fleets for Age of Sail games (1/2000 scale). I play Wooden Ships & Iron Men and also Trafalgar (it is not perfect by any shot but still playable). I have also been toying with some modified rules for using BFG rules. So if you want some play testers, I know some guys, send us something!

http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b70/doublenot7/Trafalgar/?start=all

crazyredpraetorian
08-22-2010, 11:01 AM
I am very interested in the time period and have read stacks of books on the subject. However, I have not played any of the naval war games. I did play BFG for about a year and enjoyed that quite a bit. There is a group of historical players that play locally but, they don't all use the same rule set or scale. I have been confused as to what scale and rules set to use. Any suggestions?

Aldramelech
08-22-2010, 12:24 PM
I am very interested in the time period and have read stacks of books on the subject. However, I have not played any of the naval war games. I did play BFG for about a year and enjoyed that quite a bit. There is a group of historical players that play locally but, they don't all use the same rule set or scale. I have been confused as to what scale and rules set to use. Any suggestions?

http://www.rodlangton.com/anglodutch/anglodutch.htm Check these out (scroll down to the rules). They wont break the bank and are simple enough to begin with. They are a great intro to naval gaming. Wooden Ships and Iron Men are good but a bit more complex and the Ultimate set are Action Under Sail which are incredibly complex if your new to it all. If your a serious person who is interested in naval gaming you will of course avoid Trafalgar!

40k_Dib
09-08-2011, 11:33 AM
Very much appreciate these links.

Hendybadger
03-14-2012, 04:06 PM
Just a quick post in the new forum, a group of us are working on a Spanish Armada Ruleset at the moment, it's in very early stages at the moment but is there anyone interested in Naval Wargames from the age of sail, and if so may potentially be interested in some play testing later down the line?

Im a big Age of Sail fan and noticed you are in Exeter UK. Im in Cornwall UK and run a club that could do some playtesting.
Check out North Cornwall Beasts and Bionics on Facebook

Joe
03-28-2012, 10:43 PM
Anyone use the old wizkids "Pirates" ships for historical games ?

casetower
03-29-2012, 07:51 PM
No but I got a ton of them.Will use them if I find a historical rules set I like