PDA

View Full Version : The Army I've always wanted to build

pinkskink
07-27-2010, 08:27 PM
Well with the onset of 8th, the chance to build the army of I've always wanted is upon me: an all night goblin army. Generally, I build lists that would do well in tournaments, because I want to eventually take it to one. However, I don't want to drop the army after if my play style doesn't end out working.

So, if it doesn't work, i was wondering if most tournaments allow you to bring an army, but play using a different book's rules? Lets just assume all the models are WYSIWYG, not immensely converted but all models are identifiable as the unit it "matches."

Thougts?

Chuck777
07-27-2010, 09:47 PM
Without heavy conversions, that style is called Counts-As and is generally frowned upon at tournaments (especially when you're whole army is counts-as).

I wouldn't worry about the Gobbos, they're good this edition. Plus, if all else fails, buy a bunch of blackreach Orks, chop off their guns, mount them on a square base and presto-bango you have orcs for you army (which will help add some raw muscle to your Waagh (if you find the all Gobbos not to your liking)).

The only other (easy) option you would have is to switch to something like Ogres. With a little conversion, you could turn most of the Night Goblins into Gnoblars.

fuzzbuket
07-28-2010, 03:06 AM
just build it and play it as fun army for fun, isnt that the best part :D

mynameisgrax
08-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Most, if not close to all tournaments will not allow that. On the other hand, just about anyone will allow you to play that in a friendly game, just to try them out.

I have to agree with the other posters that Little Waaaugh (AKA gobbos) are quite good in 8th edition, and in my opinion, outperform Orcs point for point (except for black orcs, which are still awesome). An all goblin army should do fine, as long as you take a good number of large blocks of goblins, plenty of shooty units, and a good number of Lords/Heroes.

CrossbowSniper
08-13-2010, 11:23 PM
a little tip from someone who use to play that kinda of army list:

a night goblin bigboss (or regular goblin bigboss) as the standard bearer with 'Rowdy Grott's Big Red Raggedy Banner' with a blackorc boss (either) as your general can be really annoying (especially coupled with 5 units of 25 night goblins with spears, full command, nets and 3 fanatics a piece). Add in some artillery (with orc bully) and you've got an amazing army that's lots of fun to play (especially once the fanatics are loose)

Also, I know they aren't night goblins, but wolf riders with spears and spider riders are a must for an all goblins army... as are the chariots and squig hoppers (i never liked the herders that much, but you might like them). The speed (and strength) at which these guys move makes for a great flank charge (or even an early game frontal charge, if you're ballsy and prepared for it).