PDA

View Full Version : 3000 points of BT (C&C greatly appreciated!)

High_Marshal_Helbrecht
07-29-2010, 11:06 AM
So, my FLGS which i have become something of a fixture at over the past weeks...Is having a League/Tournament/Campaign thing which is 3000 points!
So i modified my army a little and thought i would post it on here to see if there were any thoughts or comments that could be passed to help me improve it!

++HQ++
Marshall W/ Lightning Claws + Terminator Armour = 135
Emperors Champion W/Accept Any Challenge = 140

++ELITES++
7 Man "Sword Brethren" Terminator Squad 5 W/Chainfist and Bolter, 2 W/Assault Cannon + Chainfist, All W/ Tank Hunter = 376
7 Man "Sword Brethren" Terminator Assault Squad 5 W/Lightning Claws, 2 W/Thunder Hammer & Storm Sheild All W/ Furious Charge = 301 (W/ Marhsal)

++TROOPS++
10 Man "Crusader Squad" (7I + 3N) W/ Bolt Pistol + Chainblade, One Initiate with Bolt Pistol + Power Fist, One Initiate with a Melta = 167
10 Man "Crusader Squad" (7I + 3N) W/ Bolt Pistol + Chainblade, One Initiate with Bolt Pistol + Power Fist, One Initiate with a Melta = 167

++DEDICATED TRANSPORT++
1 x Land Raider Crusader W/ Smoke Launders = 268
1 x Land Raider Crusader W/ Smoke Launcher = 268
1 x Rhino W/ Extra Armour, Searchlights + Smoke Launchers = 59

++FAST ATTACK++
1 x Land Speeder Squadron (3 Models) W/Multi Melta = 195
1 x Land Speeder Squadron (3 Models) W/Multi Melta = 195

++HEAVY SUPPORT++
1 x Vindicator W/ EX Armour = 130

TOTAL = 2946 = 54 left over

Also i have a couple of questions!

1. Is it better to Drop Pod, or Deep Strike my first unit of Termies? (I ask, because set up as they are, i plan on landing em behind the enemy while my other units press the front!)

2. Is it better to Normally deploy my two squadrons of Land Speeders or deep strike them? (They could back up my chainfist wielding Termies! )

3. Do we BT players pay anything for drop pods? Because all i can find in my Codex is an entry stating that any unit of less than ten can take one, but no mention of cost!

4. What should my last 54 points be spent on?...I cannot take any more Assault Termies as since they are going with the Marshall in an LRC?...I could beef up a crusader squad and put them in the other LRC? i could get another 3 initiates into a crusade squad, or another 5 neophytes!

Automatically Appended Next Post:
Ignore question 3....I never saw the drop pod entry on page 38 since there was no picture... :eek::(:eek::(

High_Marshal_Helbrecht
07-30-2010, 07:34 AM
Have done a little re-thinking and thought up something i could add to this army! So thought i would suggest it and see what the general consensus is!

Rather than having
7 Man "Sword Brethren" Terminator Squad 5 W/Chainfist and Bolter, 2 W/Assault Cannon + Chainfist, All W/ Tank Hunter = 376
7 Man "Sword Brethren" Terminator Assault Squad 5 W/Lightning Claws, 2 W/Thunder Hammer & Storm Sheild All W/ Furious Charge = 301

Where the first squad has to Deep Strike in...I could take two

7 Man "Sword Brethren" Terminator Assault Squad 5 W/Lightning Claws, 2 W/Thunder Hammer & Storm Sheild All W/ Furious Charge = 301

Which rather than leaving me with 54 points, would leave me with 129 points, If i were then to drop an initiate each from each squad, it would give me 177 for that i could throw in a Grey Knight Hero Grand Master W/ Psychic Hood.

I could put him with the second squad of termies and throw my EC into one of the rhinos along with one of the crusader squads?...That would give me one squad of ten and two squads of nine?

BlindGunn
07-30-2010, 11:09 AM
Can't say much about the list itself - been ages since I looked at Black Templars, so I'll try to help with some of the Qustions! ;)

1. Is it better to Drop Pod, or Deep Strike my first unit of Termies? (I ask, because set up as they are, i plan on landing em behind the enemy while my other units press the front!)
Really depends on your opponent. Some armies (like Guard) have some pretty vicious ways to deal with Deepstriking, be it via Pod or Teleport.

If you decide to Teleport - you're looking at Turn 2 earliest. That could be bad for the rest of your Forces. Unfortunately, because of the age of the codex - I don't know how the Black Templar Rules are for pods. usually Codex overrides any other rules, so you'll have to check how they work. For Regular Marines, If you use a Drop Pod, it'll come down on 1st turn. That is a very good advantage. Again - I don't have your codex, so you'll have to readup on your chapter's specific rules AND Check for FAQ's on the GW web site.

Because you have 2 squads in Land raiders, I think they would be pretty safe. Key is to deploy in cover if you can, then drive full speed for your foe and get into CC ASAP.

2. Is it better to Normally deploy my two squadrons of Land Speeders or deep strike them? (They could back up my chainfist wielding Termies! )
Same as above - really depends on the army you're fighting. If you're counting on Speeders to be a major Anti-Armour force - you may be better off deploying them regularly as Reinforcements mean they don't come onto the table until Turn 2. If you want to use them to grab objectives, then just being re-inforcements is usually good enough due to their speed.

3.<SKIP>

4. <Sorry - not qualified! :D >

High_Marshal_Helbrecht
07-30-2010, 11:34 AM
Hahaha..Thanks for the very informative answers!...I'm thinking of doing like i posted in the second post but sticking both squads into LR's, driving up, popping smoke, then next turn assaulting if i'm able to!

Especially since we can assault out of LR's but we can't out of Deep Striking or Drop pods..and i wanna crack armour wide open as soon as im able!

And i might try a game or two setting them up on either side of my main force, and a couple of games of deep striking, just to see which i find works better?...Since they are MM, i only need to land em within 24 inches or armour!..And since it's two squadrons of three...i SHOULD wipe out most things i shoot at