PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite GW Fluff

Drunkencorgimaster
08-14-2009, 03:03 PM
The 40th Millenium is a fascinating place. What is your favorite part of it? Do you like Inquisitors, Soulstones, Orks, the Warp, or the Technocrats of Mars? This is the place to cheer for to your favorite GW stoylines and ideas.

ThePov
08-14-2009, 03:38 PM
Personally, I'm a big fan of the entirety of 40K, but I really like the idea of an AdMec Expidition to recover lost technologies/STCs. The whole concept that human kind no longer creates new technology, but rediscovers old stuff instead and often has to send major military expiditions to do this is really cool in my eyes, and I'm only sad that there aren't better in-game rules to support this.

blueshift
08-14-2009, 04:44 PM
Personally, I'm a big fan of the entirety of 40K...

Yes.

Lore tiers:

top tier:
horus heresy
the creation of the primarchs
orks
armageddon

mid tier:
ryu
eldar
nids

bottom tier:
necrons
tau
ryan seacrest

ThePov
08-14-2009, 06:49 PM
bottom tier:
ryan seacrest

AMEN BROTHER!

Actually, though, one of my favorite bits of 40K lore is the simple fact that its so open to creating your own lore. There are inumerable wars on inumerable planets, so the player can create their own little corner that's fully within the framework of the universe at large, and the player can go wild with that corner. The mere fact that epic crusades, sieges, and deaths of whole planets are commonplace gives the player such an ability to create, and thats my favorite bit, really.

Commissar Lewis
08-14-2009, 08:15 PM
I love both well-thought and developed the fluff is in general. And I agree with the poster that said how open it is to creating your own fluff as well. To me that is brilliant.

That said, one gripe I have is the inconsistency in how some of the weapons work. Meltas, for example, are described differently in the novels, as well as plasma to some degree.

Polaris
08-14-2009, 09:35 PM
I can't get over how awesome the fluff is for the Grey Knights. Anyone who has read The Grey Knights omi-bus, particularly "Hammer of Daemons" will know EXACTLY what I am talking about.

Absolutionis
08-14-2009, 09:58 PM
As much as I hate the annoying myths of the Eldar, I love their Wraith technology. Similarly, I love the Thousand Sons rubric marines.

Additionally, anything involving the Illuminati, the Black Library, and the Harlequins is rather interesting to me.

TSINI
08-15-2009, 05:22 AM
Additionally, anything involving the Illuminati....

illuminati... really? oh GW, youve let yourself slip

my favourite things about the 40k universe are as has been said before, the expansiveness of the universe (its the starting point of any good immersive fiction storyline, you need to have a neverending universe or world - such as star wars, star trek, WoW, Lotr etc etc to name but a few.)

Armageddon was a fantastic piece of storyline, it managed to cram in tons of space marine chapters, billlions and billions of IG, all sorts of xenos nasties, apocalypse style battles, and sneaky side missions, special characters, it even made the orks look smart :D

i think my number 1 favourite part of 40k, is the endless sprawling cities, with WWII esque guardsmen running from building to building, snipers in clocktowers, eldar patrols, ork booby traps, chaos flying beasts, tyranid spore showers all in a ruined spaghetti imperial city. its just the perfect depiction of hell

darth_papi76
08-15-2009, 10:38 AM
My favorite stuff has to be the Black Library/Harlequins/Ahriman stuff. Plus the Starchild/Illuminati stories. What I find sad though, is that so much has been "lost" in the fluff, that I think people new to the hobby are really missing out.

Schnitzel
08-15-2009, 10:59 AM
My favorite stuff has to be the Black Library/Harlequins/Ahriman stuff. Plus the Starchild/Illuminati stories. What I find sad though, is that so much has been "lost" in the fluff, that I think people new to the hobby are really missing out.

Oh we're not missing out. Its actually pretty cool only catching bits and peices of this fluff... gotta go and dig it up on the net ourselves. Its kinda like we're scouring the vaults of Terra itself... Haha.

Drunkencorgimaster
08-15-2009, 11:31 AM
i think my number 1 favourite part of 40k, is the endless sprawling cities, with WWII esque guardsmen running from building to building, snipers in clocktowers, eldar patrols, ork booby traps, chaos flying beasts, tyranid spore showers all in a ruined spaghetti imperial city. its just the perfect depiction of hell

Yeah that stuff is way cool. I totally dig the idea that even the good guys in 40k are basically bad ***** too. How fun is that? It is like the eastern front in WWII. You have the murderous nasty dicatatorial power, and arrayed against them...the REALLY evil power.

The 'Nids are fantastic storyline too. A gigantic, totally-non humanoid, biological insect-like plague slowly eating up everything in its path. Makes the Necrons seem tame.

Chumbalaya
08-15-2009, 08:23 PM
War of Dakka, Orks vs. Daemon world, Orks vs. Leviathan

Orks anything.

Beyond that, the Adeptus Mechanicus, particularly explorator fleets, and Rogue Traders are cool.

DevilUknow
08-15-2009, 08:34 PM
It was a bit before my time (this time anyways) but the I really dug the the idea of the 13th Black Crusade event.

Having a special event with actual consequences (in theory) that did SOMETHING to make 40k feel like a living world is a great idea.

Though I hear it was kind of half assed in execusion.

The Vraks fluff is also cool.

Morgrim
08-15-2009, 09:44 PM
The interactions between the Dark Eldar and the Harlequins. Some of their weapons are so clearly from Commorgrah, and considering how nasty the DE can be it shows the darker side of the Harlequins if the DE will shudder and stand aside to let them enter an otherwise highly protected section of the webway.

A lot of the older kroot fluff. Particularly what tends to happen to kroot when they eat certain sentient beings. (Orks make them stronger, eldar make them more agile and boost psyker powers, dark eldar similar but more sadistic, tyrannids make them vulnerable to succumbing to the hive mind...)

The sheer ambiguity around the Alpha Legion and their allegiances.

Flummer
08-15-2009, 10:58 PM
How Vulkan (the primarch) of the Salamanders was found by the Emperor and then pledged his life to him. Awesome.

oldone
08-16-2009, 12:36 PM
i realy like the nid stuff but i am intesed in eldar background but as i a a new comer i know little about every but i agree about the bit that in 40k every can have there own correr