PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of Returning to WFB After Long Absence But??

stampdog316
08-03-2010, 07:23 AM
I was thinking of starting back into WFB after a 6 yr hiatus with the release of 8th edition, but noticed that some of the Army books were really old. Correct me if I am wrong but the Bretonnian book was released in 2003 and the Wood Elf book is from 2005. Is this right? Are these viable armies? One thing that soured me before was that some of the factions were not as competitive as factions with newer Army books. I hope I am wrong because I now have more gaming time and would like to start up again.

Mobynick
08-03-2010, 02:12 PM
Some armies are way better than others, even with 8th edition nerfs. As for Bretonnians....well they look pretty :)
If you have time (and lots of money) then go for it but I don't think the game is as good as 5th edt was, and hasn't become any more balanced than 6th or 7th. Its the same thing in a newer shinnier box with horde rules to inspire you to spend even more money on rediculously expensive models. $69 aussie for 10 greatswords :eek:

Good luck

darth_papi76
08-03-2010, 03:58 PM
Go for it. I hadn't played since 6th edition, but my friend got me to give it a try and I like it very much. So I've dusted off my Dark Elves and Brets. I feel that more of my models are in the game now. The other big plus is that most of the armies are very different from one another and that there are no Space Marines.

carrotcolossus
08-03-2010, 11:21 PM
I reckon Bretonnians are still viable, especially the way the steadfast rules combines with Lance formation. Wood Elves - not so much. Having said that, I wouldn't imagine new books for either of them can be that far off so I'd wait to see how they pan out.

stampdog316
08-14-2010, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the advice, I am probably going to bide my time and watch the direction of the game once the box set is released and see what the next couple of Army books will be. Are there any factions that are simply not competitive and should be avoided? Ogre kingdoms and tomb kings don't seem to get much love around here.

Old_Paladin
08-14-2010, 01:26 PM
The new rules really changed the type of game.
Step-up, supporting attacks, hoard and monsterous infanty have really balanced out melee combat.
Likewise the new magic rules have done a good job at trying to level the playing field.

The whole competative tier system is much more leveled. Even the lowest power armies still have a shot against the best armies.

Look at Ogres now. Monsterous supportting attacks and monsterous ranks means that 6 ogres will get +1 rank and every model can attack.
If you take them in units of 7 bulls with additional handweapons and a standard. They can take up to 5 wounds before you lose the rank bonus (the enemy need to kill a full two ogres to drop the unit to 5 guys). Your standing CR is +3 (+1 rank, +1 fear, +1 standard). If the enemy fails the fear test then the ogres hit on 3+, and are hit back at 5+ (they have the magic number of WS3). They cause impact hits (which will be stronger because of ranks). Then dish out 24 strength four attacks. And finish with a stomp attack.
They're more then twice as good as they used to be. Iron guts are pretty much the same, but trade the volume of strength 4 attacks for a lower number of strength 6 attacks (going from 24, down to a lowly 18! [from 6 ironguts]).

And with deathstar lists being so popular; ogres can finally do that.
You think 50 graveguard is tough. 18 bulls or ironguts is scary.
Bulls with additional handweapons put out 72!!! strength 4 attacks; irongut hoards put out 54 strength 6 attakcs.
Oh, and those ogres are core units that you're "forced" to take, before you can load up on characters and special units.

Oh, and tomb kings.
Even in a little 1500 point game; they're likely to get magic from a tomb king (or high priest) and 2 lesser priests (or a prince and a priest) and an Icon bearer. In addition to the spells that are automatically cast (and don't use any powerdice and cannot miscast); you get to use the rest of your power dice on the bound items (I like the banner of raising the dead, the fireball ring from common magic items, and the dehydration/locus staff on a liche) you will more then likely have taken and stoping remains in play spells. When the average number of dispell dice the enemy is going to get is around 5; it'll be hard or immpossible to stop it all (and tomb kings have 2-3 very good spells). And thats just in a small 1500 point game.

Skeleton archers are firing alot more shots (and when they always hit on a 5+ no matter what), they are going to do damage. Screaming skulls are even better with the pre-messuring and no particals. Don't forget the smiting spell; now you get to fire your archers and/or screaming skulls up to twice on your turn (people will hate you for getting to fire 4 skulls a turn).
And lets not forget the scorpion. Not only is it as killy as ever, but now it also does a thunderstomp at the end of combat (for a bonus 1d6 strength 5 automatic hits).

So... that's the power level of the two "crappiest" armybooks in the game.

dragoon161523
08-14-2010, 01:35 PM
Tomb scorpion is classified as a Monstrous beast, so he only gets a stomp attack not a thunderstomp

Old_Paladin
08-14-2010, 01:50 PM
Tomb scorpion is classified as a Monstrous beast, so he only gets a stomp attack not a thunderstomp

Well, they're already a great deal for their points; it's guess it's alright that they aren't perfect.

It's the stupid Corsecart that keep throwing me off (as it got classified as a full monster with thunderstomp); so I keep thinking anything that's as "monsterous" as it, is just a normal monster.

stampdog316
08-15-2010, 07:48 AM
Thanks for the post on Ogres and Tomb Kings--it is comforting to see both armies still competitive even with older books. I will be making the plunge when the Island of Blood boxset comes out.