PDA

View Full Version : open thread for eldar in tournaments

blueshift
08-04-2010, 04:24 PM
my goal is to basically assess the current opinions of players on eldar lists. my friend wants to start an eldar army strictly for tournaments. I mentioned the lists already posted on bols like foot-dar and the double autarch alpha strike list. he seemed to lean more towards mech or bikes.

my question is: which lists are more competitive for eldar in a tournament setting these days?

davel
08-05-2010, 12:06 AM
what seems to be coming out as typical tournament units played in eldar armies

fortuned seer council, with plenty of destructor, despite increases in anti psyker goodness this is our only eldar hammer unit

5 DA in a wave serpent or falcon. simply there to make transport scoring cheaply. they don't get out by choice

multiple suicide fire dragon units in transport.

I'm not saying I like these lists but they features of a number of armies I've seen and they seem to do well. How ever it feels our codex has started to slip in terms of competitiveness at tournies.

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2010/08/40k-winners-in-detail.html

has no eldar in it and as a tournament result list go not untypical. It feels at the moment that result sheets i see have 1 eldar army in the top 20 for most tournies.

dave l

davel
08-05-2010, 01:51 AM
This post has got me thinking .In addition to what I've said above it may be worth considering what never gets taken ( in successful eldar armies.

eldar armies seem to tend to be footdar or mechdar. To be honest i have come across more mechdar at tournies.

Never

First one may seem odd but eldard. I have not seen any one take him in a tournie, though I have often heard people rave about him. I think it is a case of UK tourneys being typically 1500 points that he is just too pricey. It may be different at larger tournies
reapers, support weapons these often get dropped due to 2 factors 1) they have to walk on during dawn of war. where as a lot of eldar fire power can move on and shoot. 2) min/maxing footdar often want to max out on wraith lords, and mech dar want more tanks and mobility

Almost never

shinning Spear. Have come across them once. They have always been fragile and expensive but what has done for them is codex creep with leadership. The squad in the codex should work as devastating charge then run down survivors. The problem is their prey of choice meq has usually has some sort of rule that stops them running. The exarch is sighted as mandatory with hit and run but it more points. The unit turns into an expensive liability.

hawks. have come across them once. The sky leap variety. Deep strike has gone out of fashion many armies tend to go for out flank as the safer option. These guys suck up points and don't hit hard enough.

Vypers. Oh how the mighty have fallen. I remember saimhain spam lists with almost nothing but. What made them great in 4th swoop on to capture objectives at the last moment and being worth few victory points has changed to only contest and worth 1 kp ( mmm annihilate, do i target that wraith lord or the vyper). Mechdar don't struggle for speed and are more often looking for points for tanks or things to fill them. Foot dar are more tempted by war walkers that offer more firepower and are easier to guide

never mech dar

fast attack, army is fast enough

quins, scorps, ban most times the elites slots are taken up by dragons

guardian deffenders their may be one holding a back objective but it won't acheive much probably in cover maybe warlock with embolden

footdar never

waver serpents ( thats why it's called footdar)

prisms and falcons tend to be rare as wraith lord maxing

dave l

blueshift
08-05-2010, 09:01 AM
thanks for your insight sir. its too bad eldar aren't a good tournament army. maybe next edition eh?

keithsilva
08-05-2010, 11:17 AM
when i go to tournaments i always run my eldar no matter what. I have been playing alot of 2000 points tournaments running

Eldard

10 Ban w/ exarch with counter attack and strength 5 weapon in waveserpent w/ ML and SC with stones
6 scorpions w/ exarch with infirate, move thorugh cover, with bitting blade and claw

2 guardian sqauds both i thing 10 men strong ( i dont have the list in front of me) w/ warlock attached with embolden both have ML
6 pathfinders
10 dire w/ exarch with powersword and shield with defend
2 3 man bike squad w SC ( meat shields for waveserpent or object capture)

wraithlord w/sword and BL
three war walkers 2 w/ SL & BL 1 w/ 2 SL

vyper w/ ML,SC and Stones

I beileve thats it sorry I dont have the list, I am doing another tour. in a month or so and things about taking out a guardian squad for a fire prism or nightspinner dont know yet lol.

I have done really good with the list and done bad, with eldar u just have to know where u can and when u can win a assault and try to use cover as much as u can. Eldar still have the best anti-pysker stuff around and with all the new pysker u have one of the best defense:D

karandras
08-05-2010, 02:25 PM
I think there is a potential correlation between the fact that you never have seen Eldrad ran in your area and the fact that there is generally only one Eldar army finishing in the top 20!!!

Eldar are still a viable tournament army in the hand of an experienced player. That being said, they have a pretty steep learning curve and it takes a lot of games to learn the army.

Eldrad and an Avatar as your 2 HQs is a great place to start for non mechanized lists.

A Seer Council on Jetbikes is a great unit, but an absolute assload of points, which will limit the rest of your list's potential... Not to mention expensive to build!

keithsilva
08-05-2010, 02:31 PM
I agree it takes time to learn how to play Eldar it took me 3-4 months to have it some what down and little over a year and play testing alot of list style to figure out my game play and to be comfortable enought to play then in a tournament set up.

Chexmix282
08-07-2010, 04:30 PM
Here's the list i've used to win many a tourney.

Eldrad
Yriel
10 Warlocks
-2 Enhance, 2 Embolden
Wave Serpent
-Shuricannons and Spirit Stones

8 Fire Dragons
-Exarch w/ Flamer & Crack Shot
Wave Serpent
-Shuricannons and Spirit Stones

10 Guardians
-Shuriken Cannon
Wave Serpent
-Bright Lance and Spirit Stones

5 Dire Avengers
Wave Serpent
-Bright Lance and Spirit Stones

5 Dire avengers
Falcon
-Holo-Fields, Spirit Stones, Shuricannon

2 x Fire Prism
-Holo Fields and Spirit Stones

2k on the nose.I have had loads of success with this army, although any opponent with good psychic defense (Njal, etc) will mess up your day. The Council does the vast majority of the killing, and (as mentioned above) the troops never get out unless their transport has been destroyed or there is no chance of return fire. Obviously there are ways to better optimize the list but you get the general idea.

I've also kicked *** with this: (my "compy" (lol) and "themed" Fire Dragon list. I use Fuegan for the Autarch.)

Farseer w/ Doom
Autarch w/ Fusion Gun & Power Sword

3 x 5 Fire Dragons
3 x Wave Serpents
-Shuriken Cannons, Spirit Stones

3 x 10 Storm Guardians
-Flamers, Warlock w/ Destructor & Singing Spear
3 x Wave Serpent
-Scatter Lasers, Spirit Stones

3 x Fire Prism
-Holo-Fields and Spirit Stones

2k on the nose again.

EDIT: Please don't play Footdar, they really, really are terrible in a top-tier tournament setting.

davel
08-13-2010, 06:32 AM
O.k. here is something that should be included in the discussion How many troops slots do you take in a tourney force.

we have above 2 lists with 3 and 1 list with 5

i tend to see 3 taken at 1500 pt tournies

dave l

Chexmix282
08-14-2010, 12:25 AM
3 Troops is perfect for games of 2k and below, IMO. for 2500 I'd recommend 4.

Usually I'll take 2 squads of Guardians/Storm Guardians in Wave Serpents along with a DAVU Falcon. The Falcon sits on "home objectives" while the Guardians generally stay out of the fight until turn 4/5 comes around and its time to get into position to score.