PDA

View Full Version : Possibly the worst list ever (Yes, worse than Leafblower)

HiveFleetGoliath
08-05-2010, 10:44 PM
A friend and I were talking, and I thought about this:

Could you run a successful Salamanders list with the blood angels codex? I say yes, and here are the reasons being.

You can take Dreads as Elites, Troops, and Heavy Support, with a possible 11 total dreadnaughts in the whole army. Realistically you are looking at about 8 Dreads total for a totally successful Salamanders list. I decided to try to make a 2000pt list with it. And I'm... horrified. Seriously. Just look:

HQ
The Sanguinor (Because it DSs and has DoA because it's jump infantry)

Elite:
Furiouso Dreadnaught w/ Droppod

Troops:
10man DC unit w/ Droppod
5man assault squad 1 melta w/ Droppod
DC Blood-talon Dreadnaught w/ Droppod
DC Blood-talon Dreadnaught w/ Droppod

Heavy:
Dreadnaught w/ Droppod
Dreadnaught w/ Droppod
Dreadnaught w/ Droppod

Total: 1990

Now I'm aware that not all the Dreadnaughts come in turn 1, but still. Holy crap thats a lot of Dreadnaughts. 6 of which come in turn 1. Turn 1 the Furiouso and Heavy Support Dreads come in to bust some tanks, and after than just let the bloodclaws, DC, and Sanguinor do their jobs. Also, if you collect this army you have too much money. Just sayin'. Over $350 in Pods? That's almost as much as my fantasy army in Transports alone.

blackarmchair
08-06-2010, 12:40 AM
The all dread list is not even a little viable.

First and foremost, it's VERY slow; it has initial mobility insofar as you can use the drop pods but past that it would take little to no effort to outrun this army.

Second, with the prevelence of anti-tank intended to blow up land raiders and leman russ the non-venerable AV12 dreadnoughts scare no one. Each of my GH packs for example contain 2 powerfists and at least 1 meltagun and could with little effort burn a dreadnought in a single round.

In an objective game this army can be easily outmanuvered as only 1 troop choice (the 10man unit) has any REAL staying power. In a kill-points game this list is a pushover with 23 kill points most of them being immobile AV12 transports with a poopy gun.

It's a fun idea but doesn't work in practice.

Denzark
08-06-2010, 10:26 AM
You are quite literally correct - this is a contender for the worst list ever. Although the idea of this many dreads amuses me.

andrewm9
08-06-2010, 02:00 PM
You are quite literally correct - this is a contender for the worst list ever. Although the idea of this many dreads amuses me.

If those were Lucius pattern drop pods from Imperial Armour this would be a different tune since half of them could drop, deploy, shoot, and assault all in the first turn.

Bigred
08-06-2010, 10:59 PM
Now that Denzark was comedy gold!

Tynskel
08-08-2010, 03:26 PM
1) Your points are wrong--- 2060 is the total. :(

In an attempt to make things a little bit more viable--
New List 2000/2000

HQ 275
275 Sanguinor

ELITES 490
135 Furioso
Hv Flamer, Blood Talons
35 Dedicated Transport: Drop Pod
135 Furioso
Hv Flamer
150 Sanguinary Priesthood
2 Sanguinary Priests, 2 Jump Packs

TROOPS 770
100 Death Co.
5 Death Company
120 Assault Marines
5 Marines, Power Weapon, Flamer
235 Assault Marines
10 Marines, Powerfist, 2 Meltaguns
120 Assault Marines
5 Marines, Power Weapon, Flamer
125 Death Company Furioso
Blood Talons

Hv Support 465
120 Mortis Dreadnought
2 Twin-Linked Autocannons
120 Mortis Dreadnought
120 Mortis Dreadnought

Have the Mortis Dreads start on the board. You now have 7 Drop Pods, and 3 Dreads that will drop pod in. This will give you all of your dreads in on turn 1, plus Death Company. Now the three assault squads have DoA (with 2 Sanguinary Priests), so they have a very good chance of coming in on turn 2, as well as Sanguinor. Each Sgt has a Powerweapon/Powerfist, so the random mini-captain upgrade will not be wasted.

I think this will work better against a list that reserves up--- you can have 3 empty pods (or pod the Mortis Dreads for locations) come in on turn 1, and death co pod. You'll still have massive firepower come in later.

blackarmchair
08-09-2010, 01:07 AM
Yes...that's actually a LOT better.

The mortis dreads can target transports as well as serious threats like leman russ and annhilators. The troops are a lot more survivable.

The overall strategy seems very viable.

Duke
08-09-2010, 10:29 AM
Curiosity got the better of me and I had to look... I think the title is quite possibly 100% true

Let us know if you actually play it

Duke

Tynskel
08-09-2010, 02:02 PM
I would like to field this list for two reasons

1) I love Drop Pods.
2) I love Dreadnoughts

I just need a lot of both... that requires a lot of spare $$$ that a grad student pay normally doesn't supply. But, it is something that I can do over a long time period. Hmmmm...

I can't help but think about swapping out Sanguinor. As much as I like him, I like using cheap HQs (or cheaper HQs). A Reclusiarch would free up 145 points-- you could beef up Death Company with 4 more guys and 4 power weapons-- that death company squad goes from being just 5 wounds to being killing machine squad.

Just an idea.

artemi
08-13-2010, 12:46 AM
Can't say too much about the list other then, well, dreads are not THAT difficult to kill for lists that are anti-transport based, as a dread is, after all, a slower Rhino. Also, I don't have my book handy, but do non-infantry Troops count as scoring units?

The real reason I posted this, however, is this handy tutorial for nice looking, scratch built drop pods. That'll let you keep money for the really important stuff, like all those dreads. http://santacruzwarhammer.blogspot.com/2007/11/low-buck-drop-pods-that-dont-suck.html

Tynskel
08-13-2010, 08:07 AM
Can't say too much about the list other then, well, dreads are not THAT difficult to kill for lists that are anti-transport based, as a dread is, after all, a slower Rhino. Also, I don't have my book handy, but do non-infantry Troops count as scoring units?

The real reason I posted this, however, is this handy tutorial for nice looking, scratch built drop pods. That'll let you keep money for the really important stuff, like all those dreads. http://santacruzwarhammer.blogspot.com/2007/11/low-buck-drop-pods-that-dont-suck.html

Oh yeah, the old French GW Drop Pod Template. I made 9 of them for the second 'Ard Boyz. Had 9 Drop Pod Blood Angels list. I got Massacred Twice --chaos rhinos of doom (this was my 2nd Game of 5th Edition, and I had yet realized how powerful mech had become), and Daemons (first time playing against Daemons). The Third Army, Necrons, I massacred--- the guy didn't even try. He walked onto the board edge, I had 8/9 come in on turn 2, and I pinned him, and chased him off the board. Beginning of Turn 4 he phased out.

Those Drop Pods rock, but if you plan on going to Tournaments, they probably will not work since there is an official model now.

artemi
08-17-2010, 09:12 PM
I honestly don't know why, of all the GW hobby gear out there, they don't make official plasticard. I guess it would be too easy to claim 75% (or whatever the percent is) GW materials, though, even not using the official stuff.

DarkLink
08-17-2010, 09:41 PM
I'm pretty sure you could make a significantly worse list using only Inquisition units from DH/WH codices, or by playing Dark Eldar without taking any dark lances or wytches.