PDA

View Full Version : "Target" vs "unit" in Spells

DarkAngelHopeful
08-07-2010, 01:16 AM
WARNING, THIS IS FAIRLY LONG

Dear BoLS readers,

I have been pouring through the rules and have read and re-read the magic section and magice lores section, including the FAQ on the related sections, but I am having a hard time understanding some particular wording in the rules. I'm not sure if it was a typo, or if I'm looking at it in a RAW mindset, but something in my gut tells me there is something amiss.

My question is, does "target" mean "target unit" or "single model?"

The rules in the magic lores section seem to use the terms target and target unit inconsistantly. For example:

Under the Fire lore, fireball spell it says, " Fire ball is a magic missile with a range of 24" and causes D6 Strength 4 hits." Notice that it doesn't say D6 hits to a "target unit" or "target." It assumes the reader will assume that you can cast it against a single model or a unit of models. It's not very specific or detailed.

However, Cascading Fire-Cloak, under the same lore, says, "Remains in play. Cascading Fire-Cloak is an augment spell cast upon the Wizard and his unit (if any)." Notice how the wording of what it affects is very detailed and specific.

Furthermore, Flaming Sword of Rhuin, under the same lore, says, "Flaming Sword of Rhuin is an augment spell with a range of 24". The target unit has a +1 bonus when rolling to wound with all shooting and close combat attacks until the start of the caster's next Magic phase." The wording of this is pretty specific as well. It says "target unit." Page 5, FORMING UNITS, paragraph 2 says, "A unit consists of 1 or more models that are arranged in orthogonal base contact with each other..." That says to me that a single model is considered a "unit" so you can cast this on a single model or a unit of multiple models.

Moreover, Flame Storm , under the same lore, says, "All models hit by the template suffer a Strength 4 hit."
This is also fairly specific in that it affect the "models" directly underneath the template, not the whole unit.

You also have spells with wording like this, Lore of beasts, Pann's Impenetrable Pelt, "Pann's Impenetrable Pelt is an augment spell that is cast upon the Wizard or another friendly character within 12. The target gains +3 Toughness until the start of the caster's next Magic phase. The Wizard can choose to instead have his spell target all friendly characters within 12" (including himself)." Again, pretty specific targeting rules.

The Lore of Metal, Gehennas' Golden Hounds says, "Choose a single enemy model within range..." Very specific.

My frustration and question comes from spells that say something like this.

Lore of Metal, Plague of Rust, "The target's armour save is lowerd by one point for the rest of the game..."
To me this is very non-specific. Does target mean "single model", "target unit," or what?

Or how about, Lore of Metal, Transmutation of Lead, "The target suffers a -1 penalty to its weapon skill, ballistic Skill and armour saves..." Same questions as before.

Here's an interesting one, Lore of Light, Banishment, "the target suffers 2D6 hits." Interesting in that very few magic missile types specify "target" or "target unit." Infact, most don't say either (see fireball example above). But I assume most people think you can use this against a single model or a unit of models.

And here's the kicker, Lore of Light, Birona's Timewarp. "The target's Movement is doubled, and its attacks increased by 1 until the start of the cater's next magic phase. The unit also gains the Always Strikes First special rule until the start of the caster's next magic phase. The wizard can choose to instead have his spell target all friendly units within 12"."

The reason this is the kicker is that it starts off by saying "target" and then says "unit." Furthermore, it can affect multiple units.

From this spell, I think it's reasonable to assume that "target" can infact be applied to "target unit." Thus Plague of Rust, Transmutation of Lead, Awakeing of Wood, Iceshard Blizzard, Harmonic Convergence, Wind Blast, Curse of the Midnight Wind, Soulblight, and Doom and Darkness can all either affect a single model or a target unit.

What say ye?

Respectfully,
DarkAngelHopeful

Fizyx
08-07-2010, 06:20 AM
The description of all spell types include the line, "can only target enemy (or friendly) units." One could assume that unless the spell says otherwise, the unit is the target of the spell. Unless the spell specifically says "target enemy model" or "target enemy character" then the target is the entire unit.

DarkAngelHopeful
08-07-2010, 07:01 AM
The description of all spell types include the line, "can only target enemy (or friendly) units." One could assume that unless the spell says otherwise, the unit is the target of the spell. Unless the spell specifically says "target enemy model" or "target enemy character" then the target is the entire unit.

Sweet, that clears it up then. I looked at the spell type section more closely and infact it uses "unit" the descriptions. Thus, each spell can be cast on a "unit" unless it's specific rules state otherwise.