PDA

View Full Version : Calsberg don't do wargames clubs... but if they did!

Aldramelech
08-11-2010, 11:00 AM
My Club moved venue last month and Id thought Id share probably the best venue Ive ever seen for a club:

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx135/andyblackmore/100_0709.jpg

This is the Bath House in Exmouth. Exmouth is a quiet little sea side town in the south west of England about 12 mile from where I live.

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx135/andyblackmore/100_0691.jpg

This is the view from the window in the Gaming room, which takes up pretty much the entire top floor. This view can be errrr....... distracting sometimes;) For the history buffs among you the strip of sand in the distance across the water is Dawlish Warren which is the setting for King Arthur's climactic battle in Bernard Cornwall's "Warlord" trilogy and the entrance to the Exe estuary, where Uhtred lives for a time in his current "Viking" novels.

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx135/andyblackmore/100_0700.jpg

Some of my fellow club members kick back in the "Chill out" area, part of the games room itself! How cool is that?

The venue costs us nothing, the Landlady is just happy to have our business, is available all year round and at weekends and if it all gets to much for you, you can take a calming walk on the beach.

scadugenga
08-11-2010, 09:26 PM
That's freaking fantastic.

It'd almost be hard concentrating on a game, with views like that.

Denzark
08-27-2010, 11:30 AM
Mr A I wouldn't want to be a Jimmy 2-poos. But I have just joined my local club, which takes place in a Working Men's Club. The rub is, we all join as members. But, as members, every Thursday we can use the giant room with bar tables the length of it - which are supplemented by MDF game boards from 4'x4' to 8'x4'. Supplemented club bar prices as well. So a yearly £20 and unlimited use. I have played 12 games since 18 Jul!

So I love the look of your gaff and know how ace a good nest can be.

Having told the memsahib I am intending coming down the southwet for the tourney you mentioned for next may hopefully I will recce this gaff as well.

Aldramelech
08-28-2010, 08:26 AM
The Exeter Club have a very similar set up to yours D, gotta love social clubs, but their too GW and not enough historical for my taste so I go to Exmouth. The show venue is a good distance away from the club, so it might be a bit of a stretch, but we'll see.

Denzark
08-28-2010, 12:26 PM
Christ you'd probably approve. I'd say about 40% 40K, mebbe 10% WFB and around 25% WAB at our gaff. Last week I saw a massive WAB going on around 16' of table, 100% painted - some Hashashin army, someone with camel cavalry, seas of arab banners.

I slunk off, thinking 'no more game systems, no more game sytems, the wife will murder me...'

Aldramelech
08-29-2010, 02:31 AM
Yep, it gets silly quickly! Ive got Guard, Dwarfs and Space Marines for that side. Ive Got Soviets for Flames of War. Ive Started to collect 28mm American Civil War for when the Soviets are finished and Im looking at the First Carlist War.

And bear in mind Ive only been back just under two years after a 7 year break from gaming!

I wont type out what I had and sold before I gave up :)