PDA

View Full Version : Company Numbers

Vicomte de Valmont
08-11-2010, 02:33 PM
Hi guys, I'm new to the world of LotR, and I don't yet have access to a rulebook.

I'm going to decide on collecting either a Mordor or Isenguard army, and was just hoping someone here would be kind enough to answer a couple of quick questions for me about the numbers of models I can have in companies/phalanxes.

The ones I am most interested in are:

How many Uruk Hai Pikemen is one allowed in a phalanx?
How many Uruk Hai brandishing sword and shield is one allowed in a company?
How many Uruk Crossbowmen?
How many Morgul Knights?
How many Morannon Orcs?
And, finally, how many Black Guards of Barad-Dur are allowed in a company?

Whilst any advice on what is advisable is welcome, at the moment I am really just looking for maximums :) Any help on these number questions would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards.

Herr Wiggles
09-21-2010, 01:20 AM
When looking at WotR, the formation and company numbers are very easy to figure out. For infantry (which is everything on that list minus the morgul knights), they are always 8 models per company (the exceptions being the fellowship, the white council, the council of wizards, and the 9 abroad). As for cavalry, they are 2 models per company. When trying to figure out the max number of models in a given company, look to the side of the entry in the rulebook and there should be a little note underneath where it says if it is common, rare, legendary, or an epic hero. Hope that helps.

onewhois
10-04-2010, 07:37 AM
As already mentioned, each company of 'normal' infantry starts with 8 models, cavalry 2 models, and monsters themselves on the base supplied with the model. How many companies in a formation depends on their points cost, rarity ie common or rare, role, and what you have/want to have: for Morannon Orcs I would take 4 to 6 companies (the max allowed under their entry in the rulebook), having good abilities for their points, are a common formation (you need at least as many common formations as rare formations, and the same for companies), and I use them (usually) to take incoming fire and still deal out a beating in combat (hence I take big formations of them). Also, if you want to take a Mordor army, you need to take a Mordor Epic Hero or Legendary formation to lead it, and so on.
As to actual models, you can have models with different weapons in a formation (eg a Mordor Orc with bow, and one with a shield) as long as you are very clear what the formation has, both to yourself and your opponent. Obviously you can't have Corsairs and Orcs, etc, in the same formation ( they would kill each other off rather than the enemy anyway, or whatever).
Most of the troops you listed can have 1-6 companies in each formation, except the more deadly ones (Morgul Knights and Black Guard) which can have 1-4, though if you want to to get the most out of your missile troops, I would advise 2-3 companies, so they can all fire as much as they can (you pay to give them that bow or whatever, so they might as well try to kill the enemy with it rather than get in each other's way).
Lastly, never take formations of 1 company except where forced to by the rules (Urukhai Berserkers) or points cost (Castellans of Dol Guldur) because once the last company in a formation is down to half strength it is removed , unless they are Indomitable ( a special rule which means you have to kill them all).