PDA

View Full Version : A few Ork Questions

Vosage
08-15-2009, 10:22 AM
So the Kustom Force Field Provides a 5+ Cover save to infantry, and counts as obscuring Vehicles, is the obscuring save for vehicles 5+ or 4+?

When Releasing Bomb-Squigs from a unit of Tankbustas, the bomb squigs go for the nearest enemy vehicle, correct? does that mean that the tankbustas themselves can shoot a different vehicle or do they have to shoot at the same one the bomb squigs went for?

And this one might sound like a newb question, but when assaulting a skimer that didn't move in its previous movement phase, is it still 6's to hit?

thanks for your time.

Nabterayl
08-15-2009, 12:05 PM
So the Kustom Force Field Provides a 5+ Cover save to infantry, and counts as obscuring Vehicles, is the obscuring save for vehicles 5+ or 4+?
Obscured is a 4+ cover save, per 62. If you want to be super-literalist about it, the KFF provides a 5+ cover save to the vehicle (as the vehicle is a unit), and a 4+ cover save to the vehicle (as the vehicle is Obscured), and the ork player has the option of which of those two saves he wants to use. The really sticky question is what happens when a unit of vehicles (i.e., a squadron) contains some models that are outside the 6" range and some models that are inside the 6" range. Does the entire unit get a 5+ cover save, and the models within 6" get the 4+ cover save from Obscured? Personally I think that's the best literal reading, but best to cover that one with your opponent beforehand.

When Releasing Bomb-Squigs from a unit of Tankbustas, the bomb squigs go for the nearest enemy vehicle, correct? does that mean that the tankbustas themselves can shoot a different vehicle or do they have to shoot at the same one the bomb squigs went for?
The Ork FAQ states that the answer to this question is no, and I think that has to be the logical answer. Most of the time it won't come up, because tankbustaz always have to shoot at the nearest enemy vehicle they can see, which is probably going to be the nearest enemy vehicle for purposes of the bomb squigs as well. However, very occasionally it could come up that an enemy vehicle is, say, 6" away from the tankbustaz, but totally obscured by terrain, and another enemy vehicle is 12" away from the tankbustaz but visible to them. In that case the tankbustaz would have to target the vehicle 12" away from them, but the bomb squigs would hit the vehicle 6" away. Bomb squigs aren't "targeted" per se, so strictly speaking, the situation is that bomb squigs can attack a unit that isn't the tankbustaz' target, not the other way around.

And this one might sound like a newb question, but when assaulting a skimer that didn't move in its previous movement phase, is it still 6's to hit?
If a skimmer didn't move in its previous phase, it is hit automatically in assault. Note that page 63 is now the assault table for all [non-walker] vehicles, even skimmers. Skimmers being inherently harder than other vehicles to assault is a 4th edition concept that was dropped in 5th edition, so don't let anybody who hasn't read the rulebook in a while tell you differently!

Vosage
08-15-2009, 11:30 PM
Thanks alot that cleared up alot of stuff for me. its true i am having a hard time grinding my brain through the changes in 5th edition, i played alot of 3rd and 4th and am now just trying to get back into the game after some down time.

one thing about the bomb-squig, i believe the codex states that the tankbustas have to shoot an enemy vehicle if there is one in sight, not necesarrily the closest. so i'm not sure if that changes anything.

Nabterayl
08-16-2009, 12:14 AM
Ah, you're quite right. Thanks for correcting me on that! It doesn't change anything, though, as the bomb squig is not a targeted attack, and is released "instead of" shooting.

Watching Paint Dry
08-20-2009, 07:04 AM
Obscured is a 4+ cover save, per 62. If you want to be super-literalist about it, the KFF provides a 5+ cover save to the vehicle (as the vehicle is a unit), and a 4+ cover save to the vehicle (as the vehicle is Obscured), and the ork player has the option of which of those two saves he wants to use. The really sticky question is what happens when a unit of vehicles (i.e., a squadron) contains some models that are outside the 6" range and some models that are inside the 6" range. Does the entire unit get a 5+ cover save, and the models within 6" get the 4+ cover save from Obscured? Personally I think that's the best literal reading, but best to cover that one with your opponent beforehand.

Hadn't thought of the vehicle unit before... In non apoc games that would only be Kans, right? If its a unit, and you allocate penetrating hits before rolling for cover then I'd say you'd have to give the whole squad the cover save. I may be bias though, I am an ork player and love the KFF. Very effective tool.

Mike Dunford
08-20-2009, 07:48 AM
Hadn't thought of the vehicle unit before... In non apoc games that would only be Kans, right?

Warbuggies/tracks, too.