PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite named characters?

foostoofoo
08-15-2009, 03:03 PM
So as the title says, who are your favourite named characters? The legendary Marneus Calgar? The plague bringing Typhus? The renegade commander Farsight? So let me know who and why!:)

Drew da Destroya
08-15-2009, 07:14 PM
2nd edition Wazdakka Gutzmek... nothing quite like mounting a Battlecannon on a Bike.

bob
08-15-2009, 07:17 PM
Gaunt .......Pure badass

Aegis
08-15-2009, 10:33 PM
Gregor Eisenhorn. Not only is he an Inquisitor, but was able to redirect a Tyranid Hive Fleet by throwing Orks at it. That is just badass...

Flummer
08-15-2009, 10:57 PM
Captain Lysander. Awesome model, awesome stats, and impossible to bring down.

Vosage
08-16-2009, 12:15 AM
Kaptin Badrukk, who dosn't love an ork with a pirate hat. c'mon you know you do

exoduster18
08-16-2009, 06:44 AM
I'd have to go with Pedro Kantor for his ability to make Sternguard scoring.......

Or with Marneus Calgar for his ability to bring extra honor guard without using up the FAC slots. That is alot of extra men/attacks in an Apocalypse battle.

I also like Lysander as well due to his bolter drill special ability.

CrusherJoe
08-16-2009, 07:09 AM
Point for point, dollar for dollar, Lysander is The King.

The icing on the Lysander cake is W4 + Eternal Warrior, which make him an absolute monster in close combat. I once had Lysander -- by himself, mind you, as the shooty termie squad he was with melted away after one turn -- kill 4 nob bikers (one of them being the warboss) in two rounds of melee. Lysander took...2 whole wounds. I can't tell you the smile that put on my face.

Plus, giving your army Stubborn -and- "Bolter Drill" are...let's see, not icing...oh, I know: sprinkles. :)

Lysander: worth every point, no doubt about it.

jimbobjeff
08-16-2009, 07:14 AM
Gregor Eisenhorn. Not only is he an Inquisitor, but was able to redirect a Tyranid Hive Fleet by throwing Orks at it. That is just badass...

I think that was kryptman, not to take anything away from Eisenhorn, who is still a badass.

My favourite special character is epidemius because he makes my nurglings deadly, and no one wants to die to nurglings.

Aegis
08-16-2009, 09:09 AM
I think that was kryptman, not to take anything away from Eisenhorn, who is still a badass.

My favourite special character is epidemius because he makes my nurglings deadly, and no one wants to die to nurglings.

You sure? I will have to double check some of my source stuff, but I was sure it was Eisenhorn... GHmm... Oh well, an excuse to read more fluff!

Andrew283
08-16-2009, 10:45 AM
It was Kryptyman as it says so in the nid dex.

Anyway Vulkan He'stan is unreal for his points cost

Warforged999
08-16-2009, 10:57 AM
The Invunrable Captain Cortez

Pyro-enthusiast
08-16-2009, 11:23 AM
Farsight. The only Tau with the balls to tell the Ethereals to go screw themselves.

Also, Chaplain Xavier. An awesome chapter specific chaplain mini even if you can't use him as a special character anymore.

CaptainSinon
08-16-2009, 11:24 AM
Kaptin Badrukk, who dosn't love an ork with a pirate hat. c'mon you know you do

For pure looks - everytime

for rules ghazghkull (mine took down a reaver titan)

Drunkencorgimaster
08-16-2009, 12:20 PM
I have mixed feelings about named characters but whoever came up with "Sly Marbo" was pretty clever. The first name is a nod towards Sylvestor "Sly" Stallone while the last is an anagram of "Rambo." The model itself looks a lot like Arnold Schwartzenegger in Command or Predator.

Levitas
08-16-2009, 02:58 PM
Shrike, for the ability to deliver 10 TH/SS termies via infiltrate/ fleet to anywhere on the board.

Ragnar, for great fluff and love from the Black Library. Who knows what he will be like in the nex dex, but i'm guessing he will be vicious.

Ghaz for pure brutal ork power. I really hate facing him.

Kahandras for fluff too. But model needs updating a lil.

Virtuous
08-16-2009, 04:00 PM
Sammael. only human jet bike, immune to instant death, and a BS 5 plasma cannon. Not to mention making ravenwing squads troops....

person person
08-16-2009, 04:19 PM
KHARN!!!

Ridiclous statline and rules, not as good as some other mentioned characters but love his fluff.

boo_barr
08-16-2009, 07:16 PM
Point for point, dollar for dollar, Lysander is The King.

The icing on the Lysander cake is W4 + Eternal Warrior, which make him an absolute monster in close combat. I once had Lysander -- by himself, mind you, as the shooty termie squad he was with melted away after one turn -- kill 4 nob bikers (one of them being the warboss) in two rounds of melee. Lysander took...2 whole wounds. I can't tell you the smile that put on my face.

Plus, giving your army Stubborn -and- "Bolter Drill" are...let's see, not icing...oh, I know: sprinkles. :)

Lysander: worth every point, no doubt about it.

If Lysander's a King, then Abaddon's a God. I'm surprised no one has mentioned him yet. He's got the same W4 + Eternal Warrior as Lysander, a better toughness, a higher number of base attacks PLUS D6 extra attacks. While Lysander's attacks are resolved at Str 10, and Abaddon's are only Str 8, Abaddon gets to go at his base Initiative (instead of Ini 1) and also gets to re-roll wounds.

He's 275, but there's not a better mix of offense/defense prowess in a single other model. Though I will tip my hat to Lysander as one of the most formidable opponents in the game.

darth_papi76
08-16-2009, 07:51 PM
Maugan-Ra, Logan Grimnar, and the Avatar of the Bloody Handed God...oh and Brother-Captain Tycho!

BlacknightIII
08-16-2009, 11:30 PM
Im a fan of Cypher, I think the backstory and the mystery behind his real purpose is really cool.

Btw is there any novels with Cypher in them? I know there are dark angel books but i dont wanna read a story bout El'Johnson or whatever his name is.

oldone
08-17-2009, 11:16 AM
i really like rangar blackmane because of the awesome rules and background and hopefully he get a new shiny model soon

Commissar Lewis
08-17-2009, 05:47 PM
Well, some of my favorites fluff-wise are:

Oan fething Mkoll.
Colm Corbec
Gregor Eisenhorn
"Iron Hand" Straken
Ibram Gaunt
Hell pretty much every Ghost except Lijah Cuu. He can fornicate himself with an iron stick.
"Stonetooth" Harker
Yarrick

And quite possibly my favorite: General Grizmund from Necropolis.

FirstLegion
08-18-2009, 01:45 PM
Kairos Fateweaver.

Glocknal
08-18-2009, 01:58 PM
Tigiurius.

Word.

Herald of Nurgle
08-18-2009, 02:15 PM
Typhus - but that's made obvious by my username

Otherwise, it's Old Zogwort. Hell yeah - stop, squiggy tiem!

Mike Dunford
08-18-2009, 03:46 PM
I'm torn between Vulkan and Zogwort.

Vulkan's great on his own and great for all the twin-linked burning goodness he adds to the army. And the fig is fantastic.

But Zogwort's not bad for the price. He's a high-leadership psycher (until the boyz get shot out from around him), he's not too shabby in close combat (wound on 2 makes up for low strength), and his special ability meant that I got to spend most of a game listening to my opponent repeat, over and over, "he turned my c'tan into a squig").

Dosadi
08-18-2009, 04:22 PM
Gamewise I'm going to go with Eldrad. He gives the Eldar synergy a boost like nothing else.

Fluffwise I love Huron Blackheart and his renegade Red Corsairs.

Dosadi

Bikeninja
08-18-2009, 06:47 PM
Rules wise, it would have to be Shrike. Fleet and Infiltrate are just nasty.

Fluff Wise: Bjorn the Fell Handed. The first ever Venerable Dread. Tough Stats and HE WAS ALIVE WHEN RUSS WALKED THE FANG. One of the only living things, not Chaos, to have expirienced the Heresy.

And he is just cool.

JuiceSpringsteen!
08-18-2009, 07:30 PM
'fabulous billie' and 'lucious lucius' are pretty cool, but I love ragnar. He's the only main character that has a line of novels and is a playable character. BTW, has anyone else realised that Sicarius has had 3 different models? The current one, the Medusa 5 one, and back in the 4th ed book, the generic guy with the lightening claw was named 'Captain Sicarius, Captain of the Second Company".

vman
08-18-2009, 11:23 PM
Eldrad because he boosts everything to awesomeness.
Maugan Ra not only looks nuts, but is very deadly.
Avatar rocks for his low point costs.
Vulkan Hestan is also a great choice for marines.
Nightbringer is scary

BuFFo
08-19-2009, 09:59 AM
Lelith Hesperax.

Anyone who fights genestealers for sport is bad *** in my book.

rsheridan5
09-01-2009, 02:02 PM
Captain Uriel Ventris of the Ultramarines 4th Company.

Discipline, willpower, courage and honor. He never even thinks about the possibility of failure, he just does. Plus, he is really good at killin'!

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
John Stuart Mill (1806 - 1873)

CatPeeler
09-01-2009, 02:11 PM
Ku'Gath, the Plaguefather... or as I usually refer to him, "Fat Boy."

Large blast, template, MC, free nurglings, and six wounds? What's not to like?

Rusty Nail
09-01-2009, 02:13 PM
I'd have to go with Shrike - I love the mini, and as has been said before infiltrate and fleet are awesome - it means you're causing problems for your opponent in his deployment phase never mind the game itself.

As for background - Ragar I'm not a huge fan of any particular Black Library author but I keep going back to the Ragnar books - roll on Games Day UK where there will hopefully be a new Codex:)

erfunk
09-01-2009, 03:44 PM
I've always liked Typhus, though I rarely run special characters. I've watched my friend use Yriel to demolish his opponents' chances at victory time and time again. But oddly enough, my favorite special characters have been ones made up for a narrative campaign.

Ruzgob25
09-01-2009, 03:59 PM
For me its a difficult choice. Rules and fluff wise I'd have to go with Kharn the Betrayer for sheer number of attacks and I love the fact if he doesnt hit the enemy he'll be hitting his own men.

Miniature wise I'd have to say Calgar. The model itself looks imposing on the battlefield and even with an alright paint job will make most people drool.

Ruzgob25

Forrestfire
09-01-2009, 05:56 PM
I have a few favorites:

-Ahriman, for the model, rules, and fluff. I especially like his helmet.
-I love the looks of both Eldrad and Baharroth; Yriel, too. I once had him take out ~30 Necron Warriors, 2 Heavy Destroyers, and a Lord single-handedly.
-Zogwort "BzAAp! You're a squig!"
-Wazdakka (crashing through a Warlord Titan's head, killing the crew, and winning the battle all at the same time while ON FIRE??! Awesome)
-Pretty much all of the Dark Angels characters
-Inquisitor Lord Karamazov pretty much has a dreadnought as a chair :D.

mordengard
09-01-2009, 06:15 PM
Commisar Yarrick. As an IG player I would of course pick from my fav codex but Yarrick has a great set of fluff to support him. He is crazy in said fluff. However his game stats reflect this well in the tough to kill aspect.

zanzibarthefirst
09-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Straken simply because he is made of nails. The new model for him is especially nice.

Lysander is one fo my favourite marine armies although he story is a bit unrealistic

bigmackdadd
09-01-2009, 08:13 PM
Ulrik the Slayer

I believe that he is totally worth it, 4 attacks base, Frost blade(+1 S), Always hit on threes, get a better weapon skill and the best part...

I killed Marneus Calgar who was at full wounds in one round of combat all by himself without taking a single wound...thats right folks....suck on that Calgar...suck on that

Son of Dorn
09-01-2009, 08:23 PM
Darnath Lysander!
First Bolter Drill.
Then Lysanderwing.
Now just plain unkillable. With bolter drill too.

A friend of mine jokes that my Lysander model should be dragging turrets of tanks he's collected as trophies. I rebut: There'd be no room on the table for the rest of the models.

This guy is a one-man Terminator Assault Squad.

trjames
09-01-2009, 08:28 PM
Captain Lysander. Awesome model, awesome stats, and impossible to bring down.

Lysander is definitely my next painting project. Awesome back story too.

DarkLink
09-01-2009, 08:36 PM
I second Lysander.

I ran a Brass Scorpion in an Apoc game. It flank marched in second turn. Lysander assaulted it, all on his own. The resulting explosion killed literally everything within about 24", except Lysander. I can imagine him crouching behind his shield as shrapnel and flame shoots past, 300 style. Then he went on to singlehandedly hold a bridge against an entire Chaos army.

Red__Thirst
09-01-2009, 08:54 PM
Chapter Master Dante of the Blood Angels is my favorite. He's always been my favorite character, fluff wise and to field as well. When he arrived at Armageddon to help repel the orks, Two different chapter masters, the Salamander's and the Ultramarines both, asked him to take command of the theatre of operations. That's pretty damn badass. Now, rules wise... While not a monster in close combat, he has enough good things going for him that make him worth it in so many ways. I also like how the character is portrayed in the fluff. He's still humble and also very wise. Two traits often lacking in a commander.

Just my thoughts, take care.

-Red__Thirst-

person person
09-02-2009, 03:39 PM
I second Lysander.

I ran a Brass Scorpion in an Apoc game. It flank marched in second turn. Lysander assaulted it, all on his own. The resulting explosion killed literally everything within about 24", except Lysander. I can imagine him crouching behind his shield as shrapnel and flame shoots past, 300 style. Then he went on to singlehandedly hold a bridge against an entire Chaos army.

epic...

Prometheus
09-02-2009, 03:58 PM
Hmmm... this is a tough question.

I would say fluff wise my favorite is Typhus. C'mon he is after all the one who lead the Death Guard into the grasp of Nurgle. It wasn't his Primarch Mortian or Horus, it was the commander of the first commpany. Now thats cool. Plus in game play terms hes pretty sweet, gotta love a termie with feel now pain.

I also gotta give a shout out to my boy Old One Eye. Although currently not a special character (although heavily rumored to become one yet again in the new Nid book) he was the reason I started playing Nids. He was one of the few models in the game that could die and then come back. If you killed him he just got angrier. Now thats cool.

Well thouse are my choices but I play Tyrainds and Plague Marines, so I might be a little one sides about the topic.

GreyHunter
09-02-2009, 04:05 PM
Sergeant Rafen of the Blood Angels, who showed loyalty in the Emperor above all else, chosen by Mephisten to single handedly smite a greater deamon, to honour the chapter by defending the body of the Angel himself and to be charged with the holy quest to bring the vile Bile to justice for ever tampering with the sacred blood of Sanguinius. All this from a simple Sergeant.

EmperorEternalXIX
09-02-2009, 04:14 PM
I second Lysander.

I ran a Brass Scorpion in an Apoc game. It flank marched in second turn. Lysander assaulted it, all on his own. The resulting explosion killed literally everything within about 24", except Lysander. I can imagine him crouching behind his shield as shrapnel and flame shoots past, 300 style. Then he went on to singlehandedly hold a bridge against an entire Chaos army. Hmph. Gotta tell you this has not been my experience with Lysander at all...

My favorite named character, story-wise, is Kayvaan Shrike. He is awesome in the SM codex's fluff, the way people look to the skies and pray for him and his squads to appear. The way he refuses to aid military efforts unless he is helping to save lives. And perhaps my favorite part, the way the orks on the planet in the fluff passage think every little noise in every little bush may be him and his squads, lurking for the kill.

As far as the tabletop goes I actually really hate every named SM HQ choice, with a special black place in the pit of my soul for Vulkan the Big Green Crap Factory Hestan.

bigmackdadd
09-02-2009, 08:14 PM
Chapter Master Dante of the Blood Angels is my favorite. He's always been my favorite character, fluff wise and to field as well. When he arrived at Armageddon to help repel the orks, Two different chapter masters, the Salamander's and the Ultramarines both, asked him to take command of the theatre of operations. That's pretty damn badass. Now, rules wise... While not a monster in close combat, he has enough good things going for him that make him worth it in so many ways. I also like how the character is portrayed in the fluff. He's still humble and also very wise. Two traits often lacking in a commander.

Just my thoughts, take care.

-Red__Thirst-

HA, my space wolves love dante, in particularly my blood claw bikes, dante shoots at them with his melta pistol, fails to wound, he and his squad kill everyone in the squad except for the powerfist, then my powerfist killed him with a good old fashioned nutshot, and then went on to be slugged in the head by the squads fist, the great thing is that my same fist has killed dante twice in the same fashion(Dante should really have eternal warrior, i mean hes f***ing dante) hehe...guybrarian

Boys in Blue
09-02-2009, 10:52 PM
I play UltraMarines (as you could guess) so my favorite has to be Cassius.
Model is OK, Rules are OK but the benefits for the extra 25 points are incredible.

Arc
09-03-2009, 12:54 AM
The Red Terror. Unique biological killing terror all the way. Gulp!

Wolfshade
09-03-2009, 04:38 AM
Mephiston Lord of Death, I mean he is a vampire and that is ultimately cool, ok his stat line isn't that impressive now but he can munch through things without too much problem, just don't shoot at him as that's most unsporting. I think what made he even cooler was in 2nd ed he had the same stat line as a WFB vampire lord, which suprised people who weren't familiar with him and his 6" movement ::zoom::

Rusty Nail
09-03-2009, 06:01 AM
Has to be Shrike for me - I was all set to take up Space Wolves and then saw the Shrike mini and read the fluff, oh and I get to paint everything Black, Raven Guard it is then :o

The mini is one of the best Space Marines going with the detail and pose, (my opinion of course, feel free to differ), and none of the others have brought about a tenth as much interest for me.

Spiff
09-03-2009, 12:26 PM
In deciding...I'm going by fluff moreso than rules. But I've always loved Schaeffer and the Last Chancers (from before they made the Last Chancers generic vets or penal legion). Rules and background-wise, they were a fun unit.
I wish they had kept the original rules for them. :/ Oh well, there's nothing stopping me and my friends from using the old Last Chancer rules in friendly games. :)

Abuzorg
09-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Ahriman : best fluff ever.

LordKarthas
09-03-2009, 02:05 PM
Cypher would be one of my favs I mean teleporting amongst a bunch of black legion and other chapters walking straight up to a terminator whos training a reaper autocannon on him and without paying any attenion blowing a hole through the guys head. Thats impressive let alone that when the remaining black legion and everyone else in the room was about to (attempt) to tear him apart abbaddon told them no let him through.

Cypher has cajonnes and that makes him awesome

Generally I am far more impressed with characters in novels than their tabletop versions

Sasquatch1916
09-03-2009, 03:05 PM
Bjorn the Fell-Handed. a unique character that's also a dreadnought.(my first dread model btw)

Jawaballs
09-03-2009, 07:22 PM
I know, lame, but I love him! He is an army unto himself.

Jawaballs

countenescu
09-03-2009, 11:46 PM
Zogwort! He turns all the other characters into squigs!

But seriously, I think it would be hard to come up with cooler and more fleshed out character than Gazghull! Though I kind of enjoy the tragic Ahrimans and Yriels!

person person
09-04-2009, 12:22 AM
Generally I am far more impressed with characters in novels than their tabletop versions

Agreed

ZCMI_Nig
09-04-2009, 04:54 AM
Urien Rakarth

Not hard, not fast, not EW but his weapons!!! Automatically wound if they hit, including a D6AP flamer?

If your dice roll 1s and 2s all the time like mine you are killing Termies easy!

Then send in your Uber Grotesgues to mop up.

But also Lysander. Played in a mini tournament recently and one objective was Kill HQ.... He never died. Trampled through 2 squads of Death Guard in one game!!