PDA

View Full Version : Two simple questions from a noob

superwizard
08-15-2009, 08:18 PM
Hi, I'm just restarting 40k after a long absence and am confused about two things so far! Could someone please help me out?

1. I keep reading about how advantageous fleet of foot is to the Eldar, but it seems that all it does in 5th edition (at least, as far as I can see in the rulebook) is to allow those with it to run and assault in the same turn. Am I missing something? That doesn't seem very impressive and doesn't make a lot of sense to me for units like Genestealers who should surely move more quickly than humans every turn.

2. What are the rules for skimmers assaulting other units? I'm sure they must be in the rulebook, but I just can't seem to find them. Do they charge into combat in the movement phase like a tank or in the assault phase like infantry? If the latter is true, then how much can they charge after having moved?

Thanks! Sorry I'm such a rook!

VinceBlack
08-15-2009, 08:25 PM
To answer your 1st question, fleet does allow you to run and then assault. Although all units are capable of forgoing their shooting, instead opting to run an additional d6 inches, fleet mobs can assault after this. That is quite good because now your genestealers have the ability to assault up to 18" away.

As far as skimmers they are vehicles with no WS so they tankshok as far as I remember.

N-Bomb
08-15-2009, 11:01 PM
For skimmers to 'assault' units they can tank shock IF they are considerred tanks. For instance: an Eldar Falcon can, but a Scout Speeder cannot.
Tank shocking is not really like assaulting, its more like trying to scare them by driving through them, look in the beginning of the vehicle section.
There are much different rules for assaulting a vehicle mainly dependent on its speed the previous turn

Nabterayl
08-16-2009, 12:18 AM
Depending on where you're reading, your information about eldar may be out of date. In 4th edition there was no Run move (see page 16 for Run), so having Fleet allowed you to move faster than other infantry. You could still assault after making your Fleet move, so, for instance, a banshee squad could assault an enemy 13-18" away from the start of its turn, and move 7-12" without assaulting if it wanted to. In 5th edition everybody can move 7-12" without assaulting, but only Fleet units can assault after doing so. Thus, Fleet is of comparatively less value in 5th edition than in 4th edition. Fleet itself has not been nerfed in any way; it's just that non-Fleet movement has been buffed somewhat.

Skimmers do not "assault," as others have said. If they are Tanks, they can tank shock (page 68) and ram (page 69). If they aren't tanks, they can't move into contact with enemy models at all.

superwizard
08-16-2009, 05:18 AM
Thanks for your answers, but I'm still confused about the answer to my second question. For skimmers like Jetbikes and Deffkoptas, what are the rules for them assaulting an enemy unit? Especially as Deffkoptas can be fitted with Buzzsaws, which suggests they can fight close combat like infantry. Do they charge in the assault phase?

BlueRonin
08-16-2009, 05:56 AM
Jetbikes and Deffkoptas are not skimmers, per definition of the rules - they are variants of Bikes (and thus actually not considered vehicles at all). :)

If you check out the section on Bikes you'll find the rules you are looking for (sorry for no reference, but i don't have my own copy of the rules with me at the moment)

Nabterayl
08-16-2009, 10:14 AM
Page 53, if you haven't been there already. As you can see, in assault jetbikes essentially behave exactly like infantry. There is no inherent penalty to hitting a jetbike in assault.

Aldramelech
08-16-2009, 10:29 AM
Had this the other day. Playing my IG against my mates orcs, used the "bring it down" order against his deffcopters. We wernt sure if you could or not but both agreed that I could in the end. Was this wrong then?

Nabterayl
08-16-2009, 12:20 PM
Yes, it was. "Note that bikes and jetbikes have their on unit type, and are not counted as vehicles" - page 5.