PDA

View Full Version : Is this ard enough for you ?

Dwarflord17404
08-14-2010, 09:06 AM
We will march to war and smite all foes with Hell Fire and Brimstone. If Sigmar is with us who can stand against us . To Sigmar be the glory.

Arch Lector Lars (gen) atop the war Altar, wearing A.o.M.I and carrying warrior bane and V.H.S

Cornielus of the Gold Order 2nd level with feedback scroll

Knights de Viche
Grand Templar Wyn (kurt Hellborg) runefang, Laurels
Warrior Priest HAWS Hvy armour great weapon barded warhorse
8 Inner circle knight full command Banner of arcane warding (2+ ward against magic)

Steadfast of Sigmar
Bruce the BsB with full plate & griffon banner
Warrior priest Sigfried heavy armour great weapon carries the icon of magnus
48 swordsmen full command
10 Halbidiers (det 1)
10 hangunners (det2)

Sting of Sigmar
Pyro of the bright order 2nd level with rod of power
Warrior priest klause Heavy armour shield
28 Halbidiers full command and shields
10 free company (det 1)
10 hangunners (det2)

Folly of sigmar
20 Flagelents prophet of doom

The chorus of Sigmar's Vegance
2 Cannon's , Mortar and Hellstorm Rocket Battery

My goal here was to reduce my drops, reduce the effectivness of enemy magic and bring the fight to the enemy thus only 4 war machine's. My plan is to win through combat
resolution and attrition. 2 turns of shooting and magic to soften them up if I get 1st turn then once more into the bloody fraY for it is better to charge then be charged.
I have + 5 dispel dice and 2 level 2 Wizzard. I have 4 warmachines and 20 handgunners to thin the ranks. Cannons for monsters and large targets and a mortar and
Hellstorm rocket Battery that can hide behind my lines and still fire . Oh for the palns of mice and men. What do you think ?

Old_Paladin
08-14-2010, 10:48 AM
Personally, I'd switch the wizards orders to life and beast (the ability to heal and raised the fallen will help with so many heros and only 2-3 big combat units; likewise the ability to boost the stats of your infantry and characters [you even get the casting bonus on the cav unit and mounted characters] will be needed from beasts).
In fact, you might even have too much magic to get it all to work, after you cast the mage spells, you might not have enough dice to get off the bound prayers of the priests.

Personally, I like crossbows over handguns. The better range it pretty much necessary with pre-messure and them being a move or fire weapon.

Drop the shields on the halberds, they can never use them in melee because of the 'special weapons' rule.

That unit of 50 swords is just asking for a flames of the pheniox/13th spell/gateway/curse of years/etc. It's your only hoard unit like that. Try to balance the numbers between the two big infantry units (or even make 3 good sized units).

Bump up the size of the melee detachments. They need to be 15-18 strong now to break ranks after taking a few loses.

This part is totally personal choice, but I like the main units to be halberds, with a detachment of either spears or free company.
Swordsman are in a weird limbo state now. They are too lightly armoured to make a difference (they used to be 4+ which made them unique for empire), init 4 isn't so helpful. Alot of enemies will either be much faster (elves, chaos warriors, ASF from magic), or much slower (great weapons, or init 2 dwarves, lizardman, undead, orcs etc.); but your affectiveness may vary.
If you already have the models 60+ swordsman and only ~30 halberds then go with what you own.

Jwolf
08-14-2010, 02:07 PM
Empire aren't going to win from combat attrition, not against anything fighty. Maybe you can kill Elves and some Rats, but anything actually fighty is going to eat your lunch. Most Warriors characters would be okay against most of your blocks, and a Lord would take anything except the Arch Lector, no problem.

Overall, fighty Empire without Steam Tanks is madness. You have an enormous advantage in ranged firepower; use that to your advantage.

Nikephoros
08-14-2010, 04:52 PM
Yeah I really feel like Empire's strength in 8th, especially in 3k armies where you have freer reign over your rare choices, is to load up on firepower. Two or three great cannons to take out the big stuff and three mortars to take out hordes. throw in some hellblasters to take out elite armies and you're good. I'd bring knights, pistoliers and a block of 30 Halberders for the core.

Dwarflord17404
08-15-2010, 10:44 PM
I am pretty strapped for cash so I am kinda limited but I do have a hellblaster, another mortar and could reduce the swordsmen. Hows this :

Arch Lector Lars (gen) atop the war Altar, wearing A.o.M.I and carrying warrior bane and V.H.S

Knights de Viche
Grand Templar Wyn (kurt Hellborg) runefang, Laurels
Warrior Priest HAWS Hvy armour great weapon barded warhorse
8 Inner circle knight full command Banner of arcane warding (2+ ward against magic)

Steadfast of Sigmar
Bruce the BsB with full plate
Warrior priest Sigfried heavy armour great weapon carries the icon of magnus
38 swordsmen full command
12 Halbidiers (det 1)
10 hangunners (det2)

Sting of Sigmar
Pyro lore of beasts 2nd level with rod of power
Warrior priest klause Heavy armour shield
38 Halbidiers full command
15 free company (det 1)
10 hangunners (det2)

Folly of sigmar
30 Flagelents prophet of doom

2 Cannon's , Mortar, Hellblaster and Hellstorm Rocket Battery

alright I have added a hellblaster, dropped a wizard, made my Bsb vanila,rearrange my infantry to be 40 strong in eachexpanded detachments, buffed falgelents to 30. I was tempted to break up my innercircle knights but if I do I have no punch to throw as I have no steam tank (its not 40k) and the best i can add is another mortar and some pistliers. (wish I had assembled my guys different). I am mostly looking for an afternoon of fun but on the other hand nobody likes getting tabled for 3 games.

Nikephoros
08-16-2010, 04:25 AM
I like it a lot better, now play a few games and see if it's better in the real world.

KriegXXIX
08-18-2010, 11:56 PM
Over reliance on shooting is for the weak of heart. :D It is good that you dropped the Griffon Banner. You need to run down your enemy to get points now so not being able to pursue is a huge liablity. Don't agree that Empire is impossible to run combat oriented. Shooting only gets you so far. Your blocks are good in size and should stick around with the BSB. I would favor your BSB with the AOMI. He's alot harder to keep alive than the pope if on foot.
Only other thing I might recommend is to make your handgunners into independent units and attach small 5 man archer squads for screening and redirection. Close combat works if you play Empire like a sneaky son of a gun. Shadow magic helps too.

Dwarflord17404
08-23-2010, 06:56 PM
Having tested a few things I have revamped the list:

Engineer ( 65 for a re-roll may make a difference)

level 1 shadow wizard ( combo for life. Damage magic Was kinda being underwhelming so now I am going with gimmickmagic ) Curious : lurkers below with sig spell from shadow = dead models.

Steadfast of Sigmar
Bruce the BsB with full plate and war banner ( oldie but goodie)
Warrior priest Sigfried heavy armour great weapon carries item of 6+ agisnt war machine
38 swordsmen full command

Sting of Sigmar
Pyro lore of Life 4th level with rod of power earing armour of tarnus
Warrior priest klause Heavy armour shield bitting blade
38 Halbidiers full command

Folly of sigmar
30 Flagelents prophet of doom ( would add another unit of 40 infantry if I had the models but deplying these guys 3x 10 for the intial push has had limited success)

x 2 12 handgunners marksman with hochland ( protects the warmachinesgives me a chance to maybe get a BSB)

x2 5 Inner circle knights with muscian (ranked cavarly is kinda dead) Better used like my detachments

5 pistoliers with muscian and outrider repeater pistol (again wish I had more models but can use them defensively or against other light cavalry

2 Cannon's ,2 Mortars, Hellblaster and Hellstorm Rocket Battery ( added a mortar)

so instead of being aggresive I pepper them for 2 turns then push with my infantry with flank charges from my knights. found detachments getting mauled and in the way. So This is my final list wish me luck on saturday.