PDA

View Full Version : 2k Tourney Space Wolves

blackarmchair
08-14-2010, 11:52 PM
So this is the list I'm running for at a local tourney this coming weekend. The general idea is very wolfy hang-back shoot up the enemy and counter-charge. I have a nice hammer unit with arjac, a rune priest and TH/SS termies (the rest of the pack splits up as leaders to the squads) and I got a suicide dread in there to boot.

C&C very welcome! Tear this list apart please.

+ Rune Priest [100]
- Jaws of the World Wolf, Stormcaller

+ Wolf Guard Pack [550]
- 5x Wolf Guard Terminator with Thunderhammer & Storm Shield
- 1x Wolf Guard in Power Armour with Combi-Flamer & CCW
- 2x Wolf Guard Terminator with Power Weapon, Stormbolter & Cyclone Rocket Launcher
- 2x Wolf Guard in Power Armour with Combi-Flamer & Powerfist
+ Land Raider Redeemer [250]
- Pintle Multi-Melta

+ Grey Hunters Pack [210]
- 8x Grey Hunters; 1x Meltagun, 1x Wolf Standard, 1x Mark of the Wulfen, 1x Powerfist
- Rhino

+ Grey Hunters Pack [210]
- 8x Grey Hunters; 1x Meltagun, 1x Wolf Standard, 1x Mark of the Wulfen, 1x Powerfist
- Rhino

+ Grey Hunters Pack [150]
- 5x GH; Flamer
- Razorback with TWL Lascannon

+ Land Speeder Squadron [70]
- 1x Land Speeders with Multi-Melta & Heavy Flamer

+ Land Speeder Squadron [70]
- 1x Land Speeders with Multi-Melta & Heavy Flamer

+ Long Fangs Pack [140]
- 1x Pack Leader with Bolt Pistol & CCW
- 5x Long Fangs with Rocket Laucnhers

+ Long Fangs Pack [140]
- 1x Pack Leader with Bolt Pistol & CCW
- 5x Long Fangs with Rocket Laucnhers

+ Vindicator [115]

Total: 2005

Chexmix282
08-17-2010, 02:48 AM
It looks good overall, but i have a few suggestions:

Do you really need Arjac? He is a lot of points for a character that doesnt really do anything for your army worth mentioning. A S10 ranged attack is interesting, but he really is too many points to be rendered effective in most situations IMO.

You have 4 TH/SS Terminators, each of which costing 23 points more than the Space Marine equivalent. Space Wolves simply cannot play the Terminator game as well as other Codeci. I would run the squad as this instead:

+ Wolf Guard Pack 495
-2 Wolf Guard Terminators - TH/SS (in the Land Raider)
-2 Wolf Guard Terminators - Pair of Wolf Claws (in the Land Raider)
-1 Wolf Guard Terminator - Combi-Melta and Power Weapon (in the Land Raider)
-2 Wolf Guard Terminators - Cyclone Missile Launcher (for the Long Fangs)
-2 Wolf Guard - Combi-Melta and Power Fist (for the Rhino Grey Hunter squads)
-1 Wolf Guard - Combi-Flamer (for the Razorback Grey Hunter squad)

This saves you a whopping 180 points, which can be used to add the following:

+ Grey Hunters Pack 150
-Flamer, Razorback w/ TL Lascannon

+1 Grey Hunter to each Rhino squad.

You still have a very formidable CC unit, but now have a third scoring unit for increased tactical flexibility. This allows you to be more aggressive with your now 9-man Grey Hunter packs, as the Razorback squad can simply sit on your home objective and offer minor fire support, while being able to flame lightly armored foes when necessary.

Hope that helps!

blackarmchair
08-17-2010, 03:05 AM
I like it!

I made some of the changes above. I like my hammer guys (and my 3++) so I kept them but I think you're right about Arjac, he's good but I was light on some other things...

I'm still considering a few things...
a) Should I swap that Rune Priest for a Wolf Priest (give those hammers re-rolls)?

b) I could trade that suicide dread out for 2x land speeders with MM & HvF. More verstilie shooting but I lose that 1st turn accurate deep-strike...

I included these changes above to show what it might look like...

Thanks so much Chex! Always looking for input :)

Chexmix282
08-17-2010, 01:58 PM
I would keep the Rune Priest. That Runic Weapon will save you against a good deal of nasty psychic powers, and Jaws of the World Wolf is just funny against Tyranids :P

I think i like the Land Speeders more than the Dreadnought. I would make them separate, though. Gives your opponent more targets to shoot at. You can deepstrike them to have a similar effect as the Dreadnought, only deepstriking Land Speeders can't be avoided by your opponent reserving their army.

BlindGunn
08-17-2010, 02:21 PM
I would keep the Rune Priest. That Runic Weapon will save you against a good deal of nasty psychic powers, and Jaws of the World Wolf is just funny against Tyranids :P .
Agreed - should keep the Rune Priest in a 2k point game. I would recommending adding a Wolf Priest though. The ongoing concern is - of course - what would you be willing to drop to get him...

I think i like the Land Speeders more than the Dreadnought. I would make them separate, though. Gives your opponent more targets to shoot at. You can deepstrike them to have a similar effect as the Dreadnought, only deepstriking Land Speeders can't be avoided by your opponent reserving their army.
Agreed - Keep the Speeders - forget dropping a single Pod Dread. You can't get the rest of the army up to support it fast enough. At least with the Speeders, you can hide them and turbo-boost 1st turn if you want to.

I find pods don't work as Singles. Need to drop at least 2 pods in first turn for something to survive long enough to let the rest of the army come in to support. That means you need at least 3 pods to do something useful. That's why I recommend odd-numbers of Pods - get the extra pod you need 1st turn.

Angelofblades
08-17-2010, 02:47 PM
Why the Pf's in GH squads? That's possibly one of the worst choices ever. They only have 1A on the profile, you are better off with the PW in the unit.

BlindGunn
08-18-2010, 01:31 PM
Power fists are good against vehicles as well as infantry.

If you get the charge (or Counter-Charge) in first round, you get 2 swings instead of 1. And usually if a Power fist hits - it's dead! ;)

Finally - if you had Wolves before - you probably had a bunch of Power Fists in your squads because Long Fangs were too expensive previously (Power fists tended to be primary Anti-Vehicle weapon before new edition of the Codex). Being Lazy has its advantages... ;)

blackarmchair
08-18-2010, 10:59 PM
BlindGunn hits it on the nose. Always get 2 attacks no matter who charges plus I virtually always wound (given the wolf standard) Plus with the attached wolf guard I get 5 PF attacks per round; I find it squashes just about anything!

I think I like the list now, it's pretty versitile. I think the addition of a Wolf Priest would be nice but I question how necessary it is seeing as all those Thunderhammers will dish out approx. 7-8 wounds to MEQs/TEQs I wonder if it's really necessary to increase that numer...

Rune Priest is nice too, still debating his powers though..

Chexmix282
08-19-2010, 01:31 AM
I would take Stormcaller for sure, as that 6" bubble is a lot bigger when it's from a Land Raider. This will enable your Rhinos to have a cover save when they otherwise would not be able to.

As for the other power, Jaws of the World Wolf maybe? It's a good thing to have against Nid's, Necrons, and Tau, and not bad against the other races either.

blackarmchair
08-19-2010, 10:36 AM
Yeah, Stormcaller is great and I've had luck with it in the past...

Jaws is nice (if somewhat unreliable) but it will allow me to select the models I wish to target which will help when the unit is about to charge. That way my opponent won't be able to allocate to front models to deny the charge and will be forced to test on power weapon/power fist guys or the like.

i like it!

incenerate101
08-28-2010, 01:21 AM
Yeah, Stormcaller is great and I've had luck with it in the past...

Jaws is nice (if somewhat unreliable) but it will allow me to select the models I wish to target which will help when the unit is about to charge. That way my opponent won't be able to allocate to front models to deny the charge and will be forced to test on power weapon/power fist guys or the like.

i like it!

Jaws or living lightning in my personal opinion. With Living Lightning you can decimate whole sqauds or make all your attacks on a heavy hitter in a squad.

I also like thunderclap if you end up with a squad close enough to charge you. This way you can thunderclap and mop up the rest.

blackarmchair
08-28-2010, 01:54 AM
Hrmm, Thunderclap just makes me think of Holocaust and holocaust just makes me remember how sucky my GK are right now which makes me sad...

Living Lightning is good though. Not necessarily for killing a whole squad. You hit 2/3 of the time wound 5/6 (usually) and they save 1/2-2/3 of the time so against MEQs it's really got about a 1 in 3 shot of killing a marine meaning if you roll a 6 for number of shots you'll kill almost 2 statistically. I prefer to use it for popping Rhinos. Str7 does the trick :)

BlindGunn
08-28-2010, 02:48 AM
blackarmchair: Did you play your tournament yet? If so - how'd the list work out?