PDA

View Full Version : Calgar 1850 Tournament List; 1k Tournament List

08-16-2010, 11:44 AM
Hey guys! So if you haven't realized by now, the BoLS forum is my home for army lists as I really trust and appreciate the advice I get here. In true fashion, then, here's another couple of lists that I would love some feedback on!

Now, I have two lists, one is for a 1k partners tournament and the other is a 1850 individual list. In the 1k list, my partner and I are both playing Codex Marines, where he's taking Vulkan. I don't think much more needs to be said about that. :) Here's mine:

Librarian: Avenger, Null Zone

Tactical Marines x 10
+Razorback
+Lascannon
+Flamer
Total: 220 (x2)
= 440

Vindicator
+Siege Shield
Total: 125

Attack Bikes x 2
+M. Meltas
Total: 100

Ironclad Dreadnought
+H.K. Missile x 2
+Heavy Flamer
+Drop Pod
Total: 200

....965 so far. 35 points to go. Suggestions? :)

And here's my 1,850 list. A couple of notes: first, I really want Calgar in the list. I love the model and I love his rules. Consequently, I had originally intended to fashion the list around him by bringing lots of bodies. I'll allow you to be the judge on how well I accomplished this.

*side note: I'm bringing a lot of the same units/models from that 1k list into this list as the tournaments are on a single weekend.

HQ

Marneus Calgar
w/ Armour of Antilochous
Total: 265

Librarian: Avenger, Null Zone
Total: 100

TROOPS

Tactical Marines x 10
+Razorback
+Lascannon
+Flamer
Total: 220 (x2)
= 440

Tactical Marines x 10
+Drop Pod
+M. Melta
+Melta
+Combi-melta
Total: 220

ELITES

Ironclad Dreadnought
+H.K. Missile x 2
+Heavy Flamer
+Drop Pod
Total: 200

Dreadnought
+T.L. Auto-Cannon x 2

FAST ATTACK

Attack Bikes x 3
+M. Meltas
Total: 150

Assault Marines x 10
+Drop Pod - 0
+Power Fist
+ Flamer x 2
Total: 225

HEAVY SUPPORT

Vindicator
+Siege Shield

ARMY TOTAL: 1,850

Calgar will be dropping early with the Assault Marines in order to have a place to deploy in but also to have an aggressive unit to move through the enemy deployment zone. The third unit of tacticals in a drop pod will come in last and hold/contest an objective. The attack bikes and possibly vindicator will be held in reserve.

I feel that the 1k list is stronger for its points value, but I feel as though my 1850 is lacking any real punch. Assault Terminators are of course a reliable option, just not sure I want to go that route.

And the Librarian I feel is pretty much a must-take now between Space Wolves and Blood Angels/Lash lists.

I welcome any feedback! Thank you so much, guys! :D

Tynskel
08-17-2010, 06:09 PM
Unless you are using lots of terminators, I wouldn't buy the armor upgrade for Calgar.

Calgar is AMAZING without the armor. He should be with your tactical squad in the razorback (in terminator armor he cannot ride in Rhino/Razorbacks).

I like to run him like this:

250 Calgar
285 Tactical Squad Omega
10 Tactical Marines, Powerfist, Combi-Melta, Meltagun, Hv Bolter (sometimes I don't even bother with the heavy weapon, and hide the combat squad).
Dedicated Transport: Razorback w/Twin-Linked Assault Cannons

That combo is Nasty: 2 Meltagun Shots, 4 Twin Assault Cannons Shots, and 2 re-rolling wounds AP2 Bolter + 3 Bolt Pistol Shots. Charrrrrrge!

If you are fighting a 10 Man Marine squad, you have a good chance of killing off nearly half a squad before charging. Calgar keeps his grenades in power armor, and with his 'Lightning Claws' will strike down almost the rest of the squad. At that point, you may take no casualties. It is a great maneuver to charge out of a Razorback.

In fact, I have won many a game with Calgar and a Tactical Squad--- being able to kill something off an objective, and claim afterward is pretty good. Not many combinations in the game can solidly pull this off consistently.

08-18-2010, 10:52 AM
That is a mean combination, actually. :) Truly, my concern is getting a WYSIWYG model for Calgar in Power Armour. However, I also like him to eat up a couple of wounds in order to save my Tac squad a few casualties. To this end, I like having him in terminator armour as it just becomes that much more reliable.

I have done some reconsidering on my lists and here's what I've come up with:

Marneus Calgar
w/ terminator armour - 265
Librarian - 100

Land Raider
w/ E- armour
w/ M. Melta - 275

Tactical Marines x 10
+Razorback
+Lascannon
+Flamer

Tactical Marines x 10
+Razorback
+Lascannon
+Melta

Tactical Marines x 10 -
+Melta
+M. Melta
+Combi-melta
Total: 185

Rifleman Dread x 2 - 250

Land Speeder Typhoon
M.Launchers/H.Bolter - 90 (x2)
= 180

Attack Bikes x 3 - 150
w/ M. Meltas

Total: 1850

I hope that the shooting I bring is enough to dismantle most transports and light vehicles, thereby reducing any kind of push my opponent might have early on. Calgar and the tacs then provide a nice counter assault unit. Furthermore, I have two small units grabbing rear objectives while having three more mobile troops to grab mid- to back-field objectives. I really tried to simplify my play style with this list while keeping what I wanted, namely Calgar. :)

As for my 1k list:

Librarian - 100

Tactical Marines x 10
+Razorback
+Lascannon
+Flamer

Tactical Marines x 10
+Razorback
+Lascannon
+Melta

Rifleman Dread - 125

Land Speeder Typhoon x2 (squadron) - 180

Attack Bikes x 3 - 150
w/ m. meltas

With the FOC of the 1k list, my partner and I effectively have a full FOC. We each have 1-3 troops choices, up to 1 elite, up to 1 FA, and up to 1 HS. In each of the slots, though, we share a floating choice. This allows one player to bring up to 2 FA, for example while strictly limiting the partner to one FA. This was the only way I could fit in both Typhoons. Not sure if making them a squadron is a great idea or not as I have zero experience using squadrons. Nonetheless, the strategy is about the same as from my 1850 list, but recognize that as my partner is bringing Vulkan, he'll be much more forward in his attack. If only I could convince him that deep striking terminators while relying on a single drop pod with locator beacon is a bad idea... :S

Further thoughts? :D

Tynskel
08-18-2010, 05:48 PM
I like both of your lists.

Especially the 1000k. That's a mean list-- you are going to make your opponent wonder how the hell you managed to bring everything and still have room for the kitchen sink.

08-18-2010, 06:39 PM
That's really reassuring, Tynskel. Thanks for that! :)

Tynskel
08-18-2010, 08:57 PM
I really like 1000 points. It forces you to either to be generic, or try a completely new approach.

I like to do something similar with my blood angels at 1000.

Something like:

HQ 100
100 Librarian w/ Shield of Sanguinius and Might of Heros

ELITES 185
50 Sanguinary Priest
135 Furioso, Hv Flamer

Hv SUPPORT 290
155 Vindicator w/ siege shield
135 Predator Destructor with Lascannon Sponsons

FAST ATTACK 145
145 Baal w/ Hv Bolters

TROOPS 280
120 5 Assault Marines, power weapon, flamer
20 Razorback
125 5 Assault Marines, powerfist
15 Rhino

you put the libby with the power fist, the sanguinary priest with the power weapon. Rollin' Thunder in a 1000 points!