PDA

View Full Version : Assault and Specific Targets

mupchurch
08-16-2009, 11:06 AM
Hello, I'm new to 40k, and had a question about assaults.

I was reading under the character rules that a squad captain upgrade is an 'upgrade' character. Do they operate like characters in assaults then?

i.e: Can they only attack if they themselves are in base contact with the enemy?
Can they be picked out individually by the enemy to receive attacks?

I would like to be able to kill the power claw ork before he tears apart my marines without having to kill the 30 other guys standing next to him, is this possible?

Ferro
08-16-2009, 11:33 AM
Hello!

The fellow you're referring to is the squad's Sergeant. Don't use the word captain, as it has a very different meaning. The Sergeant does NOT follow any rules for Independent Characters. He is simply a member of the unit and can attack in close combat as long as he's engaged (same as everyone else in the squad).

As to the Ork with a Power Claw, I believe he is an upgrade character in the squad as well (like a Sergeant) and not an IC. If so, you cannot designate attacks specifically against him. Good luck!

VekortheBlack
08-16-2009, 12:01 PM
i.e: Can they only attack if they themselves are in base contact with the enemy?
Can they be picked out individually by the enemy to receive attacks?

I would like to be able to kill the power claw ork before he tears apart my marines without having to kill the 30 other guys standing next to him, is this possible?

This is only possible if you inflict enough wounds on the unit so that your opponent must allocate 1 or more wounds to the upgrade model, such as marine sarge,ork nob,special wepon guy,heavy wepon guy

The Green Git
08-16-2009, 12:18 PM

You are referring to the squad's Nob, which operates exactly like a Tactical Marine Sergeant i.e. he's not an Independent Character and is simply an upgraded member of the unit.

What this means for a 30 strong mob of Boyz is you will need to inflict at least 30 wounds on the unit before one *must* be allocated to the Nob. Of course units like Callidus assassins and others with special rules can single out a target model in a unit, but aside from that you pretty much have to kill the whole unit to kill the Nob. Usually the Nob is the last Ork to die in my Boyz mobz.