PDA

View Full Version : 1500 nids

bugsftw
08-17-2010, 08:35 PM
hey guys, just came up with a list and was looking for some constructive criticism

tyranid prime
death spitter

3x hive guard

2x zoanthropes
spore

tervigon
catalyst

3x warriors
deathspitters
strangler

3x warriors
spitters
strangler

20x termagants

20x termagants

8x genestealers
toxin sacs

harpy
hvc

15x gargoyles
toxin sacs

2x biovores

AbusePuppy
08-18-2010, 12:01 AM
Give your Tyranid Prime Boneswords, or even Bonesword/Lash Whip; the increase in killing power is well worth the few extra points.

You're a little short on tank-killing power- maybe trade the Barbed Stranglers for Venom Cannons? The latter mesh very well with the Deathspitters you're already giving your Warriors. Adding a squad of Hive Guard would also help a lot, if you're set on keeping the Stranglers.

Gargoyles should either be run with Adrenal + Toxin (for rerolls) or neither, as the cost increase vs. extra damage you do isn't worth it otherwise. But they're a very good unit either way, so definitely keep them.

The two large squads of Termagants seem a little bit odd, since you don't have Adrenal/Toxin on the Tervigon to buff them up and make them strong in combat, nor did you give them Devourers to put the hurt on something. Have you considered trading one of them out for Hormagaunts instead? Between them and the Gargoyles you can really put the fear into most Guard and Ork players.

The Zoanthropes in a pod are good, but they're very suicidal and not terribly reliable since you have no bonuses to reserves. They'll do just fine as a way to kill a single Land Raider or Leman Russ as they arrive, but not much more than that, and you won't see that across the table from you every game. However, you lack pretty much any other solution to AV14, so...

It's not a bad list, just needs a bit of tweaking to make it really work.

Denzark
08-18-2010, 05:17 AM
My constructive crticism is:............................................... ....

PM a Mod and get them to move this thread to the Armylist subsection that can be found under the Tactics sectionn

bugsftw
08-18-2010, 06:18 AM
oh, sorry dude. didn't see an army list section. i'll pm a mod after work today.

Duke
08-18-2010, 10:53 AM
Moved, as you were.

Duke

bugsftw
08-18-2010, 07:10 PM
okay, let me try something a little different.

hive tyrant- 195
heavy venom cannon

tyranid prime- 90
boneswords

3x hive guard- 150

2x zoanthrope- 160
spore

tervigon- 175
catalyst

18x termagants- 90

3x warriors- 115
deathspitters
venom cannon

12x genestealers- 204
toxin sacs

20x hormagaunts- 160
adrenal glands

harpy- 170
heavy venom cannon

the idea is to provide cover fire with the tyrant, warriors, and harpy while move up the tervigon and tyranid prime attatched to the stealers while i screen with termagants and hormagaunts, using the hive guard to pop transports.

Tynskel
08-18-2010, 08:40 PM
Personally, I don't like the venom cannon on the warriors, the Barbed Strangler causes pinning and is a large blast. I have had much more success with that weapon.

bugsftw
08-18-2010, 08:49 PM
i dunno, i usually go that route too but the large blast is more likely to hit my advancing models. also good for low armor and high toughness models.

Ghoulio
08-19-2010, 08:28 AM
One thing I would avoid is putting a Venom Cannon of any sort on anything other then a harpy (since it is twin linked and has other weapons). The Regular Venom cannon is a truly horrible choice as it does nothing...and I mean nothing well. At this point you are paying an extra 20 points for a 4th ed Deathspitter that the ENTIRE unit used to be able to take, except the death spitter didnt have the penalty to the damage table. It is a small blast, so cant kill troops as you only have one shot, it is only str 6, so you you need a 5 to glance a rhino (then you are at -3 to the damage roll) and a 6 to pen it (then still at -1, so you would need another 6 to blow it up). If you take a heavy weapon on your warriors the only one to consider is the barbed strangler as it might do something.

I ran the HVC on my two tyrants for about twenty games and in all that time I managed to stun some rhinos and I blew off a battle cannon from a Defiler. That is pretty much it. If you want to take a decent weapon on your Tyrant (or carnifexs) take the twin linked MC Devs. Tonnes of shots, twin linked, penalty to ld tests. Taking two of them and old adversary is also a great choice as you always get re-rolls in hand to hand and 12, twin linked, str 6 shots.

Hell, if I were you I would actually just drop the Tyrant and the Harpy and just take a Trygon and a Mawloc. For me personally the only reason to take a Hive Tyrant is if you want Hive Commander because you are playing reserve denial or have lots of stuff that deepstrikes (like podding zoans). You dont, so all you really need is that prime as your HQ. Actually, I think that would make this list much better :)

I would also switch out the Adrenal Glands on your Hormies for toxin sacs. That is how i run the unit and you can't underestimate how useful it is having a unit that can seriously threaten anything with a toughness. Watching someone charge them with a Wraithlord to try and tar pit the hormies and then the unit does like 16 wounds to it before it goes is priceless lol.

Tynskel
08-19-2010, 04:00 PM
Devourers are also not bad at fighting light armor. I have shot down many a land speeder with those guns on my Hive Tyrant.

It feels like they tried to fix the Venom Cannon, but just didn't do it right. It feels like it did in Second Edition by being blast, but I think it should have had 2 shots or something.

bugsftw
08-19-2010, 04:46 PM
i dunno, i feel like i need some long range support, and i'm not really keen on paying 260- somethin points for a t-fex. and carnifex are just so expensive. if i just keep tanks from shooting for a few turns while i get the assault part of the army into range that's enough for me.

also ballocks to mawloc. i don't think it's worth bringing with no bonus to reserves, and i don't wanna bring a model that's balls in combat and i'm only gonna see part of the time. the trygon is a good choice, but he'd eat every lascannon and missle launcher either on his slog across the board or when he deep strikes in. i'm gonna playtest the list i have and see how it works.

Ghoulio
08-20-2010, 10:33 AM
also ballocks to mawloc. i don't think it's worth bringing with no bonus to reserves, and i don't wanna bring a model that's balls in combat and i'm only gonna see part of the time. the trygon is a good choice, but he'd eat every lascannon and missle launcher either on his slog across the board or when he deep strikes in. i'm gonna playtest the list i have and see how it works.

You shouldn't say "ballocks" to the Mawloc because they are actually quite good. I never would of given them a second thought until I actually tried it myself. Couple reasons to actually take a Mawloc:

1) You don't actually use reserves when using a Mawloc. The rules say that any turn it is on the board, not engaged in hand to hand combat during its movement phase it can "Burrow" and then automatically come up the next turn. So, just start him on the board turn one, burrow him and he automatically comes up turn 2, no need for reserve rolls.

2) Sure he isnt great in hand to hand combat unless you are playing Tau, but that isnt his point. The main point of this guy is to have a giant, scary LOOKING creature popping up in the enemies lines and it basically forces your enemy to deal with it. I have had that fact alone win me games as it gives the rest of my army with the real killing power that much more time to march across the battlefield.

3) He has hit and run. The amount of times I have had people get him into combat and leave him with 1 or 2 wounds, then just ran him away during my turn, then just re-burrowed him is crazy.

They are better in pairs though, as it is incredibly difficult dealing with 2 depending on the size of game you are playing. Anyways, just something to think about :)

You are right about the Tyrannofex though. I just can't fathom paying 265pts for something that statistically won't blow up a land raider in a 5 turn game shooting at it every turn. For anti tank fire support we really don't have a lot of options (Hive Guard, Zoanthropes, maybe a HVC Harpy since it is twin linked and of course the insanely overpriced Tyrannofex). Obviously try out the different weapons though on different platforms as everyone has a different playstyle. What doesn't work for me might work very well for you and the way you play. The only one I can say for 100% certainty ISNT worth it and will NEVER do anything is the regular venom cannon on the warriors. 100% waste of points :(

bugsftw
08-20-2010, 05:35 PM
are they really that bad? they look halfway decent on paper... i'll probably switch for stranglers but i wanna try this first, hadn't used the vc on warriors this codex.

and i suppose i'll try the mawloc in another list, but not this one since it's only 1.5k and i have no reserves modifiers.

Tynskel
08-20-2010, 06:09 PM
Everyone forgets the best way for Nids to kill tanks:

Close Combat.

The door opens up to Carnifexes---- Re-rolling to hit will usually allow you to hit tanks that moved over 6"!
Str 10 vs back armor! Crash Boom Bang!

bugsftw
08-21-2010, 05:21 AM
160 points for a unit that any tank can just kite around unless they get stunned seems a little much imo

Tynskel
08-21-2010, 10:01 AM
I am not saying get rid of you anti-tank guns, but I am saying these big bugs still work.

Carnifexes can run-- they just can't charge after running-- so you run 'em up to close the distance. If your opponent is moving 12" to 'kite' your carni around, they are not firing their guns. And if they are firing guns, their armor is low enough that you can blast 'em with the Hive Guard.

My favorite thing to do with Carnies is Screamer Killers. I have the original models (second edition), so they work great: Re-roll all attacks, Str 10 I2 on charge with Frag Grenades, and a Plasma Cannon Shot. Sometimes I pod 'em in!

bugsftw
08-21-2010, 03:36 PM
that's true. although what would i take out?

Tynskel
08-21-2010, 05:01 PM
I would first try your harpy and see if it does whatchya want it to do. If u find it doesn't fit in your army, swap out for a fex.

bugsftw
08-21-2010, 07:49 PM
word. when i can get a game in (wife just had a baby so not much gaming time) i'll see what works