PDA

View Full Version : My first 40k tourney

SALLstice
12-05-2017, 11:29 AM
Okay, finally getting in my thoughts about the tournament.

So yeah, overall I had fun. I placed 14 out of 19, which I'm taking as a win for my first tournament ever. Also, I looked over my scores and rankings again. We have this app which tracks every player in the tourney. If there has been a 2 point swing in my last game, I would have placed 8th. So it was much closer than it looked at first. But that's the nature of how ITC works.

My first game went well enough. It was against Craftworld and they spent their first turn backing literally everything into the far corner. Which sucked for my close range army. I was constantly scoring objectives and getting points and I was winning throughout most of the game. But on turn 4, I got tabled and that lost me the game, obviously. I think I played it well. I'm not sure there were any glaring mistakes I made and I think I did a good job of grabbing as many points as I could during it.

My second game went a lot better. It was playing against Blood Angels (without Codex) and because I got to go first I hit hard and fast and took out a lot of his ground troops before he got to go. Again, I did a good job of holding down all the objectives and scoring a lot of points that way. But my opponent did a good job (albeit it seemed by accident) of scoring well too. It ended up 14 to 13 even though I was slaughtering the BA the whole game. He did a good job of scoring those secondary objectives, like hurting Morty, getting First Strike, Slay the Warlord, etc... Even though I was stomping all over the Angels, they could have won if I didn't also score my objectives just right.

My third game was a mess lol . I was really burnt out by then and didn't get a break between games 2 and 3. I was playing another Chaos player who had a lot of big deamony characters I didn't recognize. I was doing my normal stuff and deploying and set up all my noise marines right in the middle of the board, knowing my opponent was going first. The had cover, but it was still asking to be slaughtered. I could have hidden them behind the cover they were standing in, but I didn't and it cost me. Also I did a terrible job of holding objectives. There was the opportunity to score a bonus point if you had characters on 3 objectives. Which I easily could have done, but I only did it once. If I had played to the mindset of holding the objectives better, I very likely would have won. From the way the scoring works, because I wasn't holding the objectives at all, I gave up at least a 5 point swing. If I had held more objectives over the game and had the bonus points, that would have granted me 3 points a turn and denied my opponent 2 points a turn.

So yeah, to sum up, I had a good time. As Abe said on stream, I didn't get salty. I think I'm pretty resistant to getting upset at a game. I think if/when I go again I'mma have to be aware to double my mental effort to stay focused on game 3. I do think I could have won if I had played better.

If anyone's got specific questions, lemme know. Otherwise, that's it!

Icendar
12-06-2017, 07:13 AM
Thanks for taking the time to do a write-up, mate.

Tournament play isn't for everyone; it's certainly not my favorite way to play the game, so most of all, I'm glad you were able to have fun giving it a go.

What lists ended up winning/placing (if you know)?

SALLstice
12-06-2017, 10:26 AM
What lists ended up winning/placing (if you know)?

I don't know but we did have a private room set up to record on Table 1, which was (after the first game) the leading players. We tried to stream it, but there was some issues. But we have the footage and will probably load that up at some point? Literally anyone else on BoLS would probably know better than I would lol

Icendar
12-06-2017, 12:55 PM
LOL Fair enough. Well, how about a more personal/subjective question, then: what did you think of the lists you played against? Not in terms of how you performed against them, but just how much fun they were to play against or how gimmicky they were.

StableAbe
12-08-2017, 04:30 PM
I think we are going to be airing it this Sunday. Top 3 lists were all Ynnari.

It sounds like things will be resolved for us to hopefully live stream it next time.

Mayhems_Muse
12-11-2017, 03:13 PM
i think we are going to be airing it this sunday. Top 3 lists were all ynnari.

It sounds like things will be resolved for us to hopefully live stream it next time.

because ynnari are the best... Arouuuuuuund