PDA

View Full Version : Army Collecting

Icendar
12-13-2017, 09:54 PM
I was just thinking about this earlier today when I was looking at some of the minis I have.

The last armies I've started, however large or small, have all been based around at least one miniature that I thought was awesome looking. For example:

Deathwatch: Watch Captain Artemis, primarily, then a bunch of the marines in the Death Masque set.
Primaris Ultramarines: Aggressors and the Redemptor Dreadnought
Aeldari: Windrider jetbikers

While none of those minis have world beating rules or anything and I've had, at best, middling success with any of them, all those models just keep me invested in the armies and wanting to do them proud :p

All that brings me to the question: How do you pick the army that you're going to collect? Cool minis? Painting challenge? Top-tier rules? Something else?

Navaren
12-13-2017, 10:25 PM
Goliath Rockgrinder. = why I started GSC

I already paint zombies and rotten flesh for work = why I started death guard.

Melon-neko
12-17-2017, 11:01 AM
I start armies usually because I like the models or I have a good conversion idea.
Although sometimes i start armies because there's a neat rule I like, or I was pressured into it.
I might have too many armies =D

Bigred
12-17-2017, 08:19 PM
Cool minis and interesting background.

Budtasticguy
12-18-2017, 09:09 AM
Mainly cool minis and storyline. Love Dwarves and their feeling of being in a constant last stand to save the race. I was attracted to Dark Angels because of their monastic gothic ways and dark green is a much better colour than red or blue.....or gray, for that matter.

Mayhems_Muse
12-18-2017, 02:11 PM
I picked the Eldar based on their description and abilities (psychics, etc). Then I went through and read all about the different types of Eldar, and discovered an image of Yvraine. I then fell in love with the story of the Ynnari, and of her rebirth. I was hooked after that. So... Definitely fluff for me.

SALLstice
12-19-2017, 10:57 AM
How do you pick the army that you're going to collect?

My friend Rich got me into playing in like 2nd grade or whatever. My memory is a little fuzzy but I think he already had some orks and gave them to me? I don't think I really analyzed the army options or anything. I got lucky in that they turned out to be right up alley.

http://memes.ucoz.com/_nw/6/84730975.jpg