PDA

View Full Version : Tiger tanks suck...

Brezel
08-16-2009, 02:10 PM
Ave

Just had a game yesterday against the german heavy company rules.

6 (!!!) Tiger E supported by 5 Panzer IV with Wittmann as Leader in the Tiger Platoon.

against my US Tank Company, mixed... I just could grab a draw.

Folks, I have to admit, these Tigers are tough kittens in any way! Just killed all 5 Panzer IV and 3 Tigers, but still they shot my tanks under my butt. Great fireworks, just not in the sky.

Any idea what kind of unit can break through Tigers, except Artillery, of course?
Sherman 76mm are nice but just a breakfast for the Tigers.

Bigred
08-16-2009, 02:41 PM
Unless you have scary guns like the big Russian tank destroyers, dont fight Tigers at range.

Smoke em every turn to reduce their effectiveness, or assault them with your best anti-tank infantry.

BeastsofWar-John
08-17-2009, 04:53 AM
i have a tiger company with Whittmann, But im not going full panzer company, i have a panzer grenadier company and anotehr large set which i cant remember. But ive never been able to play FOW yet (nobody heres interested in my tigers!!!) i just want to cook up some shermans on a sunny afternoon :(

BoW- John

Brother Hespithe
08-17-2009, 08:30 AM
To my understanding, Tigers are quite frail against good infantry (sappers, engineers, etc) with an improved AT rating. Also, aircraft tend to make short work of Tigers as well. Though I wouldn't think that one or the other would be sufficient to deal with a number of Tigers, but a few would be little bother.

But as for tank on tank combat, I don't really thing the allies have much that can handle Tigers en masse.

Cheers, mate.

McPherson
08-17-2009, 02:13 PM
Not really.

The British Firefly is a threat to Tigers - even at range due to the Semi-indirect fire rule - however there are never enough of them and they will get guntanked to oblivion by a semi-competent german player.

M-10s either your bog standard or the british M10-C with the 17lbr again makes regular Kitties think twice about life but again they are glass cannons and if they dont get a good ambush off to do the damage quickly they wont survive the counterstrike.

Hells Highway (the first M.G. book) should help address this a little as Guards armored can take 2 fireflies per platoon vs the 1 normally allowed. Failing that - anti-tank infantry are the best bet you've got. Or if you want to be really ballsy, drive some crocs up and flame the tigers before assaulting with some accompnying infantry. However again a competent tiger player will cook you long before you get there.

- McPherson

Paul
08-17-2009, 02:39 PM
The only allied player who can duke it out with Tigers at medium-short range is Soviet.

However, keeping the tiger's movement hemmed in with infantry and towed anti-tank guns can do alot to neutralize it.

You don't have to kill a tiger to neutralize it.

The problem comes when the enemy has 6, as per the OP. Try using masses of pioneer or tank assault infantry.

Barring that, use the M10s with their special "run the hell away rules" that even annoys my IS-2s in late war.

Brezel
08-18-2009, 09:31 AM
Ave

I really think hard about AT-Infantry now for coming games.
Also some flyers are inbound from the assembly lines. :D

Since Shermans are a bit outgunned against the kittens, I have to change my style of play a bit.
Next time the odds are changing... *harhar*

cheers

Bulwark
08-24-2009, 02:48 PM
large anti-tank guns in some cover will usually do nicely, assuming you can get line of sight to them. I think the US can get guns with AT 12.

Glennos
08-30-2009, 12:24 AM
Ive had Air Strikes blow my Tigers to bits but I did roll some bad dice through out the holle game and still ended up winning. Its fun just to be a part of the game, for what it is.

See ya

Garric
09-25-2009, 12:41 PM
I dont even bother shooting Tigers mostly. Thats why Soviets have the IL-2 3m Shturmovik to pop those pesky Tigers. The IS-2s and heavy guns like that are too expensive point wise for my tastes. Plus a company of T-34 85mm will do the ticket against a Tiger on most occasions and are dirt cheap. You cant kill them all with one Tiger. You will usually out number them but avoid a drawn out fight with them.

Aldramelech
09-26-2009, 11:30 AM
Believe it or not the most dangerous thing for a Tiger was its own crew! Half of all Tiger 1 loses resulted from them being destroyed by their crew due to mechanical breakdown, damage or lack of fuel. Tiger's were notoriously hard to recover from the battlefield, needing 2 Sdkfz 9's linked together to tow one. The towing of a Tiger by another Tiger was strictly forbidden and a Court Martial offense!

jahred
10-05-2009, 03:18 AM
My Tigers seem to 'off' themselves on hedges more times than my opponments kill them in firefights. The bane of Tigers is either heavy soviet tanks (or T34/85's) or Aircraft. The Germans don't get much in the way of AA or aircraft in Late War, something worth exploiting!

Aldramelech
10-05-2009, 10:19 AM
My Tigers seem to 'off' themselves on hedges more times than my opponents kill them in firefights. The bane of Tigers is either heavy soviet tanks (or T34/85's) or Aircraft. The Germans don't get much in the way of AA or aircraft in Late War, something worth exploiting!

The one thing the Germans should have plenty of late war is AA. They had tons of it! In some Volksgrenadier Divisions they replaced the entire Arty complement with AA!

The 100mm/122mm guns on late Russian stuff are way too effective under the rules, neither being very good AT guns, both of them having quite low muzzle velocities for such large caliber guns.
Neither do the rules take into account the incredibly poor Soviet optics of the period.

Mind you when you're getting mobbed by dozens of them..........lol