PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite Heavy Support choice?

foostoofoo
08-16-2009, 03:28 PM
So what's your favourite heavy support choice? The most feared Hammerhead? The multi-weaponed Obliterators? The army destroying Vindicator?

I want to know your favourite Heavy Support choices and why?

crazyredpraetorian
08-16-2009, 03:32 PM
The Demolisher for it's amount of AP2 killyness and it's ability to soak up fire.

VinceBlack
08-16-2009, 03:40 PM
This is a tough one because I love the vindicator, cheap and scary makes for a great spearhead. But i'm gonna go with Land Raider, get those Terms right into the thick of battle and generally take the fire off the rest of your army so regardless of how long it survives it normally accomplishes its task. I mostly run the crusader pattern but really want to try the redeemer!

Valdore
08-16-2009, 03:43 PM
Hmmm, I haven't used it yet, but I have a strong suspicion it will be the manticore as soon as I use it :p

At the moment however, probably the Executioner.

Schnitzel
08-16-2009, 03:52 PM
Obliterators all the way! 75 points a pop, all weapons included to fit any situation. Two wounds and low save with an invulnerable. Love them.
With the left over Terminator bits I have from my Apoc formation I bought, my AoBR bits, and various weapons and Terminator Lord bits I have I was easily able to scratch build an apoc formation of 9 Obliterators. :D
I need more!
Currently I'm scrapping my Havoks to allocate weapons for more Obliterators.

clkeagle
08-16-2009, 05:40 PM
Gotta go with the Whirlwind, but not for its killing power. While it can cause opponents problems if it's ignored, its real strength lies in its ability to make your opponent panic and focus all their attack forces on one 85-point model while the rest of your own army has board freedom.

And they say psychology died with 2nd Edition...

Erazoender
08-16-2009, 06:58 PM
Carnifex.

How customizable is it?

darth_papi76
08-16-2009, 07:57 PM
Outflanking War Walkers armed with Scatter Lasers or Eldar Missle Launchers.

Aegis
08-16-2009, 09:06 PM
My Inquisition is showing, but I love my Exorcist tanks. D6 S8 AP1 missiles a turn is just plain fun. Especially when hitting on 3's. I have had those tanks wreck heavy infantry and enemy armour alike.

The Immolator is another one I am fond off, especially wit T/L heavy Bolters and Blessed Ammunition so it ignores cover saves.

And a throw back from my IG days, the Basilisk. I have not used it since guess range was removed, but I was pretty darn accurate with that thing.

Lord Inquisitor
08-16-2009, 09:52 PM
Demolisher with the plasma cannons. It will kill just about anything.

RandomX
08-17-2009, 02:51 AM
Crusader, the original Templar tank. I love my three metal sponson ones.

-Eric

Aventine
08-17-2009, 04:32 AM
Right now I'd say my favorite would be the Thunderfire Cannon. It shatters under any weight of fire, but its ability to create a very large number of wounds against tightly packed infantry (sometimes ignoring cover) means that it can get its points back in a few rounds of shooting.

Dosadi
08-17-2009, 08:37 AM
The Land Raider.

AV14 all around.

Assault Ramp.

Filled with Berserkers.

'Nuff said.

:D

Dosadi

ZenPaladin
08-17-2009, 08:44 AM
For the Tau its obviously the Broadsides. In the age of Mech lots of Railguns is the answer.

Among the Necron's I've become a big fan of the tomb spyders. There's prescious little armor penitration, hand to hand prowess or vehicle killy in the army list but the Spyders do all three.

BuFFo
08-17-2009, 09:05 AM
Ravager.

Triple plasma cannons own, especially since you can move 12" and fire them at a slightly weaker attack, which is still ap3!

person person
08-17-2009, 12:47 PM
Land Raiders, Vindicators, and Oblits. Fire the crap out of ANYTHING!!!

Grotzooka
08-17-2009, 02:21 PM
The one and only Leman Russ Battle Tank. Kills anything short of termies from all the way across the table.

Paul
08-17-2009, 02:25 PM
Depends on the army I'm fighting, but if I wasn't thinking about important things such as the opposing player, I'd say:

A squadron of Demolishers with lascannons and plasma cannons. Or a squadron of Exterminators with heavy stubbers and heavy bolters. Or a squadron of Vanquishers with lascannons.

Rangerrob
08-17-2009, 02:30 PM
Wraithlord w/ Brightlance, EML, Flamers x2.

AsgeirArnald
08-17-2009, 05:18 PM
The Land Raider.

AV14 all around.

Assault Ramp.

Filled with Berserkers.

'Nuff said.

:D

Dosadi

Definitely. Although I prefer to fill mine up with lightning claw termies.

BeastsofWar-John
08-18-2009, 02:50 AM
im really unsure. my Eldar choice is the wraithlord by far. hes one mean bugger!
for my guard army its probably the Exterminator with full heavy bolter loadout and those autocannon
and my marines dont really deploy any heavy support thats been overly useful. But id go with a full Lascannon predator, just for "omg shoot that thing" factor.

BoW- John

Bluephoenix
08-18-2009, 01:23 PM
FW elysian vulture, but then I'm biased since I go air mobile IG. :p

FirstLegion
08-18-2009, 01:34 PM
Hmmm... Monoliths. They may not be as good anymore, but I still love em!

Mike Dunford
08-18-2009, 03:57 PM
I mostly play orks. Heavy support isn't something we take. It's what we are.

robertsjf
08-18-2009, 04:21 PM
9 Kanz to support my 2 dread troop choices....

Shas'O D'Narb
08-22-2009, 11:54 PM
I agree with ZenPaladin, for long range anti-armour, there's nothing like three Broadside suits (protected by two shield drones... or four when you attach an Iridium-Commander) reaching out with twin-linked unfairness at absurd ranges with a ridiculous strength and a merciless bonus to the damage chart. :cool:

Katie Drake
08-23-2009, 12:02 AM
The one and only Leman Russ Battle Tank. Kills anything short of termies from all the way across the table.

Yeah man. *thumbs up* +1 for this, especially with plasma cannon sponsons.

A close second would probably be the Hydra though, just because it looks really cool.

Thirteen
08-23-2009, 03:46 AM
I'm torn between the good old classic God-fex, and triple warwalkers each with double scatterlasers.

The god-fex just makes me feel like a ten year old again

While I love the warwalker squadrons because people often do a double take when I tell them that there are 24 str 6 shots coming their way. All for 180 points nonetheless.

Morgrim
08-23-2009, 11:44 PM
Talos. It has toughness! And mulitple wounds! And doesn't die to flashlights! Quite a novelty in my army. *laughs*

Mostly, though, because I love the model I've converted up for it, like the fluff, and it scares the living daylights out of opponents for some reason...

>.>
One of the people at the FLGS wants to nickname it 'Can Opener' after it proved that melta is not required to open all his tanks.

Dingus
08-24-2009, 04:53 AM
My 3 Basilisks. Wether they are fielded as 1 squadron or 3 individual units they are always bang on target and are the true snipers in my army.

vman
08-24-2009, 07:15 AM
mmmm depends how im feeling...

3 Fire Prisms is always fun for removing annoying units.

15 Dark reapers with exarchs is also fun for a laugh. Add in a farseer and you have 24 ap3 shots + 9 ap3 blast templates per turn, plus rerolls with the farseer. Ruins noob marine players

Wraithlord is also a tough opponent.

If its IG the old leman russ never fails.

Space Marines. I would say vindicator

Skragger
08-24-2009, 08:44 AM
Its Killa Kanz with Grotzookas.. 135 points scores you 3 walkers with SIX str 5 ap 5 small blast templates.. perfect for dealing with your guard or eldar infestations!

Jiggs
08-25-2009, 09:30 PM
My favorite non-transport heavy support choice would be my Terminus Ultra land raider nothing better than three twin-linked lascannons, two lascannons,twin-linked Multi-melta(salamanders), and if you want a hunter-killer missile. Its obviously expensive costing 300 points base but it does have 14 all around armor and can pop open any non super heavy tank in one turn with no problems. however its major downside is no troop capacity but I use the land raider for tank hunting so I'm not worried about it.