PDA

View Full Version : Catachan Storm Troopers (and newbie intro)

Ashwarawu
08-16-2009, 04:00 PM
Hey Guys,
Well I haven't posted on a forum since the GW forum went down, but now I'm back. I wanted to get some feedback on my latest project, catachan stormtroopers. All of my army is catachan and I always want to make everything as catachany as possible hence the project. Clearly none of the other storm trooper models meet that criteria so I tried to bulk up some regular catachans with new weapons and armor, and some camo skin to set them apart on the battle field. All feed back is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss78/Ashwarawu/IMG_0169.jpg
http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss78/Ashwarawu/IMG_0202.jpg
http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss78/Ashwarawu/IMG_0218.jpg
http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss78/Ashwarawu/IMG_0233.jpg

emperorsaxe
08-16-2009, 04:48 PM
Not bad lookin' toyz you got there. The added armor plates definitly changes the original look of the jungle fighters, no doubt about that. Although it's kinda hard to see the detail 'cause of the lighting. However from what I can see looks good.
Respects, Emperorsaxe

08-16-2009, 05:50 PM
those shoulder pads are nice

ThePov
08-16-2009, 08:25 PM
I quite like it. I definetly get a SpecOps vibe, like Arnold's team in the first predator movie. Much better than what I used to do, just using cadian models as storm troopers in my urban catachan force.

archimbald
08-17-2009, 06:21 AM
does anyone else not like the catachan standard flamer???

Rapture
08-17-2009, 12:34 PM
Nice to see an alternate storm trooper set up. I love the old metal ones but the shoulder armor on these guys along with the camo paint really does wonders.

Aldramelech
08-17-2009, 12:47 PM
like the lights/sights on the lasguns, nice touch

Commissar Lewis
08-17-2009, 05:56 PM
Awesome, man, awesome. I have to do that now, seeing how awesome and Spec-Ops they look. My IG is a combo of Catachan and Cadian. ( my own regiment, the Daneland 77th)

I'm now inspired to make some badass Catachan like that.

ligolski
08-18-2009, 10:05 PM
I've seen these guys close up. They are spectacular. You would be surprised to learn that those shoulder pads are made from straws! lol

firestorm
08-19-2009, 07:29 AM
Nice work, I was going to ask what the Carapace armour was converted from, but ligolski answered my question!

Ashwarawu
08-19-2009, 02:31 PM
Its true just, cut up some drinking straws and its perfect size and the right bend in the armor for these guys

Dunadan
09-01-2009, 09:27 PM
Nice! I must look into adding something like this to my Inquisition army. How many Inquisitorial stormies run around in camo? Of course, this does raise a question: would grey knights wear camo?

Oh, and what did you use for the sights on their hot-shot lasguns?

Datadep5
09-01-2009, 10:42 PM
Very cool and I'm digging those shoulder pads.

BrotherAlpharius
09-02-2009, 05:21 AM
Nice work. I like the idea of single regiment armies. I don't see why the Catachans couldn't outfit the pick of the bunch with better weapons and guns.

Do you have Commissars and if so how do you model them? I was considering this morning that since Catachans don't like external authority and their commissars are prone to "accidents", I might try and model "counts as" Commissars that are actually particularly hardened jungle fighter veteran sergeants who may have "acquired" peaked black caps and cloaks!

PostWarFolk
09-02-2009, 03:02 PM
Its pretty good. I like the shoulders and the face paint.

jpwyrm
09-02-2009, 03:06 PM
Those looks great! I like the sights/lights on the side of the hellguns and the painting looks great! If you could get some clearer pictures, that would be awesome.

Cheers!

Ashwarawu
09-03-2009, 09:41 AM
Hey, Thanks for all the feedback guys!! Dunadan, the sights on the hot-shots are either half binoculars or the little targeter things from IG heavy weapon sets. BrotherAlpharius, I absolutely love your idea about catachan Commissars, i never thought about the "acquired " black cap and cloak i may have to try it out! Ill post my catachan commander i made from a heavier armored inquisitor (i started it before they came out with the IG command squad sets) Next time im home from college I'll take some better pictures of the squad and they're old school FW Valkyrie!

AoM
09-03-2009, 01:21 PM
I like 'em. The armor/shoulder pads work really well. The wires are a bit thin for me, though. Look at them compared to the wires on the traditional models. fatter cables, for sure.

The only other thing I'd recommend is drilling out the weapon barrels, but I recommend that for all models. It's so simple, and it does so much.