PDA

View Full Version : 1500 Space Wolves

lowdog
08-24-2010, 10:25 AM
I'm starting up a Space Wolves force, and this is the basic 1500 point core I am thinking of buying (off of which I will expand). I will primarily be playing non-tourney games against 'Nids, Orks, Guard, and Black Templars.

Rune Priest - 115 Chooser of the Slain; Living Lightning, 5+ Ward Power (can't remember the name)

10 Grey Hunters - 210 Flamer, Melta, Powerfist; Rhino/Drop Pod

10 Grey Hunters - 210 Flamer, Melta, Powerfist; Rhino/Drop Pod

10 Grey Hunters - 175 Flamer, Melta, Powerfist

10 Grey Hunters - 175 Flamer, Melta, Powerfist

Dreadnought - 150 Multi-melta, Heavy Flamer; Drop Pod

Dreadnought - 150 Assault Cannon, Heavy Flamer; Drop Pod

Vindicator - 115

5 Long Fangs - 115 4 Missile Launchers

Whirlwind - 85

Total - 1500

I am currently planning to also get a basic Predator with autocannon turret and side heavy bolters that could swap out for the Whirlwind.

Hexx
08-24-2010, 11:28 AM
A lot of power fists in there planning to come up against some armour?or just want to smoosh infantry in close combat? I like the list though I gota say try taking it up a notch and write a 1750 list..

lowdog
08-24-2010, 01:22 PM
Yeah I just wanted one CC weapon in the squads that ignores armor, and figured the extra strength couldn't hurt. My nid friend runs several warrior squads and monstrous creatures that the fists can instakill/hurt, and the guard players have lots of tanks. I figure the fists give the squads two options for can opening as well as boosting their assault prowess.

At 1750 I know I want to add in a squad of Wolf Scouts and then probably some landspeeders and/or fenrisian wolves.

blackarmchair
08-24-2010, 01:28 PM
Not bad. It really isn't worth it to take those 2 foot slogging GH Packs. This is 5th ed you can't afford to have anything on foot like that.

Take those 350pts and get something to use as a hammer unit (as you are missing one) given the points I'd recommend Thunderwolves.

Otherwise it's a nice list with a lot of troops!

lowdog
08-24-2010, 03:32 PM
How do you generally load out your Thunderwolves?

Chexmix282
08-24-2010, 05:28 PM
I usually run Thunderwolves in units of 3, with 1 model having Thunder Hammer/Storm Shield and 1 model with Meltabombs. at 215 points most lists can afford to include 2 of these units, and they are very effective.

You list has too many points in Troops, IMO. I would replace 2 Grey Hunter packs with some Thunderwolves (as above), or a pair of tooled-out TW Lords in a unit of Fenrisian Wolves. This will give you some fast and very hard-hitting CC units.

blackarmchair
08-24-2010, 10:12 PM
I run mine very similarly. I like to give mine Storm Shields, that 3++ helps a lot agiainst the type of units your opponent is likely to throw at them.

I usually run mine in units of 3-4 and I typically give one hammer or wolf claw and about 2 storm shields.

If you have the points upgrade one to a mounted wolf lord or canis (if you like him).

wolflold
08-26-2010, 03:54 AM
Your Grey Hunters are 5pts to cheap, you have to pay the points for the meltagun even if you take the free flamer! Check the SW FaQ.

BlindGunn
08-26-2010, 01:09 PM
Good call wolflold on the points! I missed it!

I agree with the others - the Grey Hunters need transport of some kind. I also like putting the Long Fangs into a Razorback - gives me an extra heavy weapon and a way to move the LFs if they get into trouble!

I DO recommend getting the 4 Grey Hunter Squads (the models - they don't all have to be on the list right away) at the same time just because you may want them in larger games and it's easier to match the paint schemes if you paint them all at the same time. They just look better on the table that way.

I don't neccessarily agree with dropping BOTH non-transported GH squads from the list. I like 3 units for capturing objectives in a 1500 point game. But it is a personal choice. Many people run with 2 core and are happy with them. Of course - if you want the Thunder Wolves - you'll need to juggle the list and may need to drop both.

I like the mixed weapons in your GH squads. You can deal with both Hoards and Tanks. Never a bad thing if you can make it work. Some people prefer to take 2 Meltas instead of 1 in a 10 man squad to get the second Melta free. Gives you 2 chances to miss your roll against tanks! Unfortunately, that will make the squad less able to deal with Hoards. You can experiment by swapping special weapons: 2 squads with 2 Meltas and 2 squads with 2 flamers. If you like it - no need to get more models and you save 10 points on your 4 - Grey Hunter Squad list! If you don't - swap back to 1 of each! :D

Warning about Drop Pods: If you use them, you should use at least 2 pods to drop on 1st turn. That means at least 3 pods minimum (1/2 pods, rounding up). A single pod and its contents will be punished and probably won't survive into the 2nd turn. Maybe drop one squad with one Dreadnought 1st turn and they can support each other until the rest come down. If you want to do a Suicide Dread or Squad, that's fine, too. I just find they don't usually accomplish a lot. Remember - can't charge into CC the turn the pod drops.

Anyway - Good Luck with your Wolf Company!

BlindGunn
08-26-2010, 01:14 PM
I usually run Thunderwolves in units of 3, with 1 model having Thunder Hammer/Storm Shield and 1 model with Meltabombs. at 215 points most lists can afford to include 2 of these units, and they are very effective.

I run mine very similarly. I like to give mine Storm Shields, that 3++ helps a lot agiainst the type of units your opponent is likely to throw at them.

I usually run mine in units of 3-4 and I typically give one hammer or wolf claw and about 2 storm shields.

Sorry to Double Post - what are you guys using for your Thunderwolves? I haven't found anything I really like yet.

blackarmchair
08-26-2010, 03:34 PM
Actually, the SW FAQ says that you have to pay for the FIRST special weapon.

It doesn't say that the first special weapon can't be a free flamer! ;)

lowdog
08-26-2010, 04:23 PM
As self-serving as it may be, I have to agree with Blackarmchair's reading of the FAQ. It says "take the first special weapon at normal points cost in order to take the second one free".

To me that says if I take a flamer at the normal cost of (0) then I can take a second special weapon free. Similarly if I take a melta and a plasma gun, I could pay (5) for the melta and get the plasma free. It doesn't say the first one has to be your most expensive one, nor does it say you have to take the exact same weapon twice. As long as you pay for the first one, whatever it may be, the second one is bonus, whatever it may be.

lowdog
08-26-2010, 04:27 PM
Also, do any of you other Wolf Lords run Wolf Guard termies, and if so do you mix their armaments up or try to keep them uniform? I'm finding interesting ways of combining armaments to get to multiples of 5 for the unit's point cost.

Like 3 Power Weapons + 2 power fists = 185. Sprinkle with combi-bolters and heavy weapons to taste.
or
2 Power Weapons + 2 Fists + TH/SS = 215.

Initially the 63 points for a TH/SS termy gave me sticker shock about ever fielding them as a full unit, but leading a squad of otherwise shooty termies is more reasonable...

wolflold
08-27-2010, 03:11 AM
@ Blackarmchair and lowdog, wel it depends how you look at is of course. You have to pay the points for the first special weapon, but the flamer doesn't cost any points, as in it says "free" not "0pts". but i get your point and go for that as well :P. But then again i field my GH unit with 1 special and a WG with combi-weapon, i like to have Ld 9 (for counter attack) and least 2 attacks with his power fist. A Grey Hunter with power fist is pointless, it costs more than a wg wtih power fist and has only 1 attack and 1 less leadership!

As for Wolf Guard, i field a unit of 4 in terminator armour with 2x power weapon&storm bolter, power fist&cyclone missile lacuncher and TH/SS in a droppod joint by a Rune Priest with terminator armour, and for me it works pretty well :D.

incenerate101
08-28-2010, 12:34 AM
I generally run all my termies in a variety mix and match.
1 with heavy flamer and Powerfist
1 with Thunderhammer and SS
1 with Auto Cannon and Chainfist
1 with power sword and stormbolter
1 with dual wolf claws

I generally either throw Logan Grimmnar in the mix
or Njal the Stormcaller

With Logan you can smash face in CC and still do damage from a short range
with Njal you sit back and throw magic and people and when they come after him you have some badass proctection.

wolflold
08-28-2010, 06:22 AM
Njal and Logan in the same army is kind of expensive. Logan might be an option if you're going to take WG, but if it comes to Njal, the only reason i would take him is for hes 4++ save, his extra ability is fun but unpredictable, and if he just stands in the back he can only cast 1 shooting power, and you wouldn't make use of his special ability! I rather take 2 Rune priests, that is cheaper and more effective.

The wolf's claw
09-02-2010, 11:57 AM
i like the army list its well different to mine not that thats a bad thing lol,

just my opinion but my favourite (and essential) units are
- lone wolf w/ mark of the wulfen 35pts (has successfully sat through 30 orks with shootas all firing at him, unharmed absolutly hilarious and probably more luck than anything)
- venerable dreadnought w/ extra armour and heavy flamer 190pts (general awesomeness, just wonders in one side and out the other!!!)
- fenrisian wolves and a character with saga of the wolfkin (I5 S4 WS4 8pts each best bargain ever, with 8 i trampled my friends tzeentch marines including sorcerer and only lost 1 wolf)
- ( i havent actually got round to trying this one but it sounds hilarious) iron priest w/ thunderwolf, and 4 cyberwolves, (basically lots of T5 and 3A per cyberwolf and lots of S9 powerfistage!!!)

The wolf's claw
09-02-2010, 11:59 AM
i use my wolf guard termies to lead my squads, one with assualt cannon and one with cyclone rocket launcher leading each of my grey hunter squads

lowdog
09-05-2010, 02:20 PM
i use my wolf guard termies to lead my squads, one with assualt cannon and one with cyclone rocket launcher leading each of my grey hunter squads

But then you can't embark your squads in a rhino or a razorback, not to mention needing the points for 4 other WG for every WG heavy weapon termy. Granted I already have two footslogging squads...

wolfpack
09-06-2010, 12:37 PM
I like the list...nice bit of flexability but where's your available second HQ choice?...we do get two for one...

I would drop one of the GH packs and add say a WP on bike with 5 FW...there's a nice even swap at 175 and is fun to watch on the field...LOL

then to get to 1750...throw back in the Hunter pack, get the extra trans for the foot sloggers and add meltabombs to your WP...

the next add to get to say 2k...I would include some WGT...or buck up yer longfangs to a full 6 man squad and throw in scouts...just depends on yer style of play...

The wolf's claw
09-09-2010, 10:16 AM
But then you can't embark your squads in a rhino or a razorback, not to mention needing the points for 4 other WG for every WG heavy weapon termy. Granted I already have two footslogging squads...

i use the squad of grey hunters with termies in to provide cover fire and guard objectives, so they dont go anywhere and therefore dont need rhinos. although that may only be useful playing against assault orientated opponents which is what im generally against.
ive got the extra wolf guard i need for the weapons in a squad that does attack i could put them in a rhino, and i got a big blood claw squad for attacking, but i feel that the grey hunters with termy with gay heavy weapons, are definately alot more suited to a stationary support fire role. i would use long fangs but they arent a scoring unit or as big. :)

lowdog
09-15-2010, 09:52 AM
Okay, here are two variants based on the comments given. My plan is to collect the models to alternate between these variants at 1500.

List 1

Rune Priest - 110 Force Weapon, Bolt Pistol, Chooser of the Slain, Living Lightning, 5+ Ward power

Dreadnought - 150 Multimelta, Heavy Flamer, Drop Pod

Dread nought - 150 Assault Cannon, Heavy Flamer, Drop Pod

10 Grey Hunters - 210 Flamer, Meltagun, Powerfist, Rhino

10 Grey Hunters - 210 Flamer, Meltagun, Powerfist, Rhino

10 Grey Hunters - 225 Flamer, Meltagun, Powerfist, Mark of the Wulfen, Drop Pod

3 Thunderwolves - 215 1 w/ TH/SS, 1 w/ Meltabombs

Vindicator - 115

Total - 1500

Replaced one of the Grey Hunters for the Thunder Wolves and a Pod for the 3rd Hunter squad, which also picked up a Wulfen to help it burrow into an objective. They will accompany the first dread down in turn 1, and the 2nd dread will come in later to back up. I still have at least 3 troop squads for objective taking but I pick up the thunderwolves.

List 2

Rune Priest - 110 FW, BP, Chooser

10 Grey Hunters - 200 Flamer, Meltagun, Wulfen, Rhino

10 Grey Hunters - 200 Flamer, Meltagun, Wulfen, Rhino

10 Grey Hunters - 200 Flamer, Meltagun, Wulfen, Drop Pod

10 Grey Hunters - 175 Flamer, Meltagun, Power Fist

Dread - 150 MM, HF, Pod

Dread - 150 MM, HF, Pod

Vindicator - 115

Whirlwind/Dakka Pred - 85

Total - 1500

By swapping fists for wulfen on the three advance squads, I can pick up a transport (original list paid 5 points too much on the chooser of the slain, it's only 10 and I thought it was 15). The last footslogging squad is there to claim the nearest objective or hold my home objective in the deployment zone objective mission. It still lacks the hammer unit, but I also don't feel like there is anything in the list I can't afford to lose, and I can add the T-wolves and a fourth transport back in at 1750.