PDA

View Full Version : Please Help My Knights

Legoklods
08-25-2010, 06:54 AM
So BOLS, I have just realized a few things:
1. Black Templars are some of the best looking dudes in 40k.
2. I find their mentallity (kill/destoy first and if someone questions it, kill them too) very appealling!
3. They are rarely seen anywhere.
4. Just got my hands on their codex.
5. I have absolutely no idear how to play with them.

So what I need you lot to tell me is what units I need, an how to use them, to make a BT army work.
I have a few years of experience, mainly with orks, so I know how the playing goes. But what worries me is that I have clue as to how I should kit out my Emperors Champion, are Neophytes worth anything, the best possible use of Sword Brethren in power amour, why should I take another HQ than Chaplains, and what do I do with no devastators?

Hexx
08-25-2010, 07:27 AM
So BOLS, I have just realized a few things:
1. Black Templars are some of the best looking dudes in 40k.
2. I find their mentallity (kill/destoy first and if someone questions it, kill them too) very appealling!
3. They are rarely seen anywhere.
4. Just got my hands on their codex.
5. I have absolutely no idear how to play with them.

So what I need you lot to tell me is what units I need, an how to use them, to make a BT army work.
I have a few years of experience, mainly with orks, so I know how the playing goes. But what worries me is that I have clue as to how I should kit out my Emperors Champion, are Neophytes worth anything, the best possible use of Sword Brethren in power amour, why should I take another HQ than Chaplains, and what do I do with no devastators?
As I played Bts for awhile I got some get tactics from them, No mater how much you want to have a all assaulty army always balance out with some normal bolter marines..A good troop choice is 2 sets of 10 bolter marines in rhinos and 2 sets of 10 chainsword and bolt pistol marines.Always take a EC just for the fact he has some sweet rites to give the rest of your men..You will want to be about the assault but always take some fire support aka bolter marines, predators or my favourite a moving fire base that is a Land raider or crusader..

Tynskel
08-25-2010, 07:45 AM
Remember to read carefully the entries for each unit. For example, the Emperor's Champion comes with their own equipment, and it is unmodifiable. The part you can change is which vow the Emperor's Champion (and consequently, the army) will take.

There should be a part of the book on how to setup an army--- read that.

davel
08-25-2010, 07:54 AM
i have come against templars once or twice at tournies (but not recently)
their hammer units hit hard against inexperienced players. Shooting at hammer unit only causes them to run at you faster.
This can be exploited by experienced plays example capture and control.
hammer unit walks across board unmolested whilst opponet targets troops at the back. they run off their objective towards foe. Do you move back loosing chance to shoot opponent or stay put off the objective.
When the hammer unit reaches the opposite objective then the shooting starts and suddenly their off (against some thing they can't catch most likely if your opponent knows what they are doing) instead of holding.
the solution think is having troops in a vehicle( been a long time since I looked at codex.) though this will be expensive.

In 5th even khorne marine armies ( traditional turn up set them up and let them do their own thing) have now some options. There is even a bit of fluff in the codex to justify that yes they do some times hide. Black templarcodex could do with a relooking at.

I have seen one list 1750 with 5 or 6 land raiders. I think this was tournament specific as selection rules penalized too many points spent on HQ,EL,FA + HS but not troop. Back then they could have Land raiders as troop transports so incurred no penalties. I know that blood angels can do the same thing.

dave l

Chexmix282
08-25-2010, 02:59 PM
Since Black Templars is the only Marine army to get Tank Hunters/2 Assault Cannons on Terminators anymore, I think this would be a very interesting build to represent a 1st company or something. If you can keep your scoring units alive it'll kick *** :P

HQ
Commander
-Terminator Armor
Terminator Command Squad
-2 Assault Cannons, Tank Hunters, 1 Chainfist

Reclusiarch
-Terminator Armor
Terminator Command Squad
-2 Assault Cannons, Tank Hunters

Emperor's Champion
-10 point vow

Elites
3 x 5 Terminators
-2 Assault Cannons, Tank Hunters

Troops
3 x Crusader Squad (5)
-Meltagun, Rhino

You'll get 40 BS4 S7 shots per turn, thanks to Tank Hunters. Should make a mockery of most light AV spam lists, and you can easily rend Land Raiders to pieces with that amount of firepower.

While not the most "fluffy" list, it sure would be fun to play...

Feighan-Raask
08-25-2010, 04:37 PM
three things I'd recommend from personal experience is:

1) take "Abhor the witch" for your vow.....most armies get a psyker now so your getting that extra d6 movement and for a combat army that can make a huge difference...."uphold the honour of the emperor" sounds nice but remember you don't get a cover save

2) Elites = Dreadnoughts...or at least one...with a lascannon, venreble and tank hunter...all for 155 points

3) for a HQ choice A mater of Sanctity with terminator armour and Holy Orb of Antioch is great....back him up with a terminator command squad of 4 terminators with 2 assault cannons and tank hunters..with the option of deepstrike this can be a real headache for people

Hope your crusade goes well.

Tynskel
08-25-2010, 08:46 PM
One of my favorite characters from 4th Edition Space Marines was the Techmarine.

He could be totally tweaked out! Makes sense, he makes all the stuff.

160 Techmarine
Full Servo Harness, Terminator Armor, Master Crafted Combi-Plasma.
He gets +1 Attack for Terminator Honours, +1 Attack for 2 CC weapons (the FAQ says yes!), +2 Powerfist Attacks, a base profile of +2 attacks, and +1 for Charging = 7 Attacks on the Charge. Yowzers! Now give him the 'Accept Any Challenge, no Matter the Odds', and this guy gets to re-roll to hit in Close Combat. Now throw in that he's an Independent Character. And that he has a Signum (allowing a 1 re-roll per shooting phase for him or his unit).

I like to take a Plasma Rifle and a Power Weapon in a Crusader Squad, and a drop pod. Slap the Techmarine in there. When you land-- 5 Plasma Shots! Up to 3 Re-rolls. Next Turn, Fire another Plasma Shot, and a Flamer! Charge!!! Melta is another option if you want to be able to fire the squad special weapon on the way in. (combi-melta can do well on the Techmarine--- basically 2 twin-linked melta shots [techmarine and special weapon] with all the re-rolls).

:)

On a different note, I like taking the Drop Pod for Terminators-- you'll be able to put your terminators exactly where you want them. Combined with the super Assault Cannons, combi-melta on commander, and a combi-melta on a Sgt-- Pretty reliable Tank Busting squad. + they are terminators, so they can kill just about anything.