PDA

View Full Version : Eldar vs. Deathwing 1,000pts.

Spiv
08-26-2010, 12:02 PM
Before I present the lists, let me start by saying, they weren't exact...by any measure. But we made some last minute mods to them and didn't want to be downers by spending the next hour recalculating.

My list - Eldar
Farseer - Singing spear, ghosthelm, shur. pistol, Doom.
Dire Avengers x6
Dire Avengers x6
Dire Avengers x6
Striking Scorpions x6 - Exarch, Biting Blade
Warp Spiders x5 - Exarch Spinneret Rifle
Wraithguard x4
Dark Reapers x3 - Exarch, Tempest Launcher, Fast Shot
NightSpinner - Holofield

His list (which is really mine, he just borrowed) - Deathwing
Belial
Int. Chaplain
Termies x5 - Cyclone Missile Launcher, all with Lightning Claws, Standard Bearer with Deathwing Standard
Termies x5 - Assault Cannon, all with power fists
Dreadnaught - Missile Launcher, Plasma Cannon
Predator - Twin-linked Lascannon

(During the game, I forgot my dread's plasma cannon arm, so we had the lascannon on there... my bad, as I played the game forgetting it was a plasma cannon and allowing my opponent to use it as a lascannon. The dink never reminded me, and it ended up costing me...)

So, we decided to play for one objective, placed squarely in the middle of the board - an eldar warp gate. We roll for deployment and turns, and I go first.

My squad is phalanxed in my deployment. There's a 3 storey building on the right, side, only thing worth mentioning, as my reapers look to take up residency.

He keeps his assault termies with the int. chap. and Belial attached, in reserve. Everything else is deployed well together behind cover, or at least out of range.....

Turn 1:

I move my reapers into the base of the 3 storey building sitting just infront on the rightside of my deployment. The scorpions, who's deployment I botched, move out from behind the building and towards the objective. 1 squad of avengers takes up home in good cover, as backup if the other 2 fail. The other two start booking it for the objective. The spiders jump around and look fancy. The nightspinner (in it's test run debut) moves across my deployment and finds it's LOS and range on the termies sitting in his deployment. The farseer charges ahead without any real goal.

I fire the nightspinner, hitting the termies, causing no wounds.

He moves his dread. up the relative centre of the board, clearly making ground to get a shot at the Spinner. His predator moves around the cover, mimicking the dread's movements on the other side. The termies decide they're tougher then some spindling webbing and move out - the lead termy realizing he's the only one who's made it out alive.

The dread shoots with his illegal lascannon and fails. The pred. causes a stunned result.

Turn 2:
I continue all unit's advances towards the objective. The reapers make their way to the top floor of the building. The wraithguard are reassigned to destroying the predator. The spiders jump within range of the termies and fire, with no success, then jump away, avoiding any casualities. The farseer runs in circles after failing his psychic test.

He rolls his reserves and nails it, and they drop within an inch of his intended spot - center board. He opens up with the range weapons of the assault squad and annihilates all but 2 of an avenger squad. His termie moves up with his dread. The predator moves up. All straight ahead. The predator fires and causes another stunned result.

Turn 3:
The farseer babbles incoherently as again he fails his test. He gets in position and throws his spear, killing a termy. The reapers rain down anything but hell. The avenger's combined fire kills a termy. The wraithguard take time out of their schedule to kill another. The warp spiders warp in behind the dread and cause a stunned result and then disregard the lesson of the day - don't assault termies and do so, they would remain locked in combat for the rest of the game so no more talk of them. I'm forced to bring my hiding squad of avengers out to replace the now fleeing duo.

His assault squad steps up and tears the scorpions apart, deciding their the biggest threat; leaving 1 behind to run in fear. The 2 lone avengers run away. The pred. fires and causes no damage this turn.

Turn 4:
The farseer repeats, the 2 avenger squads move well within range of the assault squad (now number one termy and the two HQs), at this point both Belial and the Int. Chap. have both taken multiple wounds, but are surviving. The spinner finally free to act again fires and causes no wounds. The reapers repeat. The avengers fire but kill nothing. The wraithguard march on.

His dread moves forward and fires at the spinner causing it to explode (with that damn lascannon it's not suppose to have). The assault squad attempts to move back, to rely on it's storm bolters, onto the objective, and in doing so kills the remaining termy and Int. Chap. (from dangerous terrain). The pred. kills a wraithguard.

Turn 5:
Forget the farseer. The avengers split. One moves to the right of the objective, taking it. The second proceeds around terrain on the left, to cut off Belial's escape. There will be no survivors today. Did I say forget the farseer? Because he actually manages to cast doom this time - surprise! The wraithguard move up and immobilize the pred. The avengers fire but do nothing, as well as the reapers.

The pred. kills another wraightguard, the dread. fires his frag missile and kills half of the avenger squad holding the objective - they maintain their ground. Belial shoots and kills another wraithguard. He has been moved off the objective at this point.

Turn 6:
The avengers hold. The wraithguard kills Belial. This is after the reaper exarch rains down death that scatters and destroys the avenger squad not on the objective (thank god).

The pred. can't see the avenger squad holding the win, so who cares what it did. The dread fires all its weapons but misses.

Conclusion:

I breath a sigh of relief knowing I snuck away with a win in this one. I give 90% of that win to the Nightspinner. It pretty much destroyed a whole squad in the first turn (yes, bad rolling was apart of that) and then turned the tide in the last couple turns to allow my avengers to sneak in. The reapers, I take only because I love their concept, but they perform terribly for me, everytime out. I might drop them to put exarchs in all my avenger squads and upgrade things with the remaning points - or just bring a prism.
The deathwing wasn't bad, but without a lot of minions running around, they just took to much firepower and eventually started failing saves. I think I might scrap the deathwing die hard list and add some marines in for flexibility.

MarshalAdamar
09-29-2010, 03:26 PM
Sounds like the Death wing had HORRIBLE luck with dangerous terrain tests.

"The termies decide they're tougher then some spindling webbing and move out - the lead termy realizing he's the only one who's made it out alive."

That sounds like 4 dead so they would have had to roll 5d6 roll 4 1's then fail the 5+ invul save for terminator armor.

"The assault squad attempts to move back, to rely on it's storm bolters, onto the objective, and in doing so kills the remaining termy and Int. Chap. (from dangerous terrain)."

Again of all the d6 rolls he would have to roll two 1's then decide to take one on the chaplain and then fail the 5+ and the 4+ save.

Dangerous terrain = roll d6 for each unit moving and on a 1 they take a wound with no armor save or cover save (Invulnerable saves apply) then the termies has a 5+ or 4+ invul for the chappy.

And it sounds like dangerous terrain killed like 6 terminators. That would be like rolling 36 dangerous terrain tests and failing all saves.

Is that right?

Tynskel
09-29-2010, 03:30 PM
It happens!

MarshalAdamar
09-29-2010, 03:55 PM
Yea I've see it happen but WOW, really? the odds are just off the chart!

Thats terrible! Dastardly Eldar!

Ebsolom Dhaark
10-17-2010, 03:57 AM
Thanks for the batrep! I agree that the Deathwing list is on the small side, definately not enough boots on the ground, especially in a 1000pt game. Maybe drop one of the characters too too free up some more points.

Yeah, the dice gods were against me one game with my Eldar Vs DA. 6 Fire Dragons disembark from a Falcon within one inch of a Landraider, I roll 4 ones giving me 2 hits, one fails to penetrate and then I roll a 2 on the damage chart + 1 for AP1... weapon destroyed!:eek:

Brettila
04-21-2011, 05:36 PM
I agree with the Marshall. I wonder if something was done wrong. I believe it was mentioned this was the first time using the spinner. Yes, ones happen. I have seen 6 of 7 dice come up 1's; but those are practically lottery-winning odds.