PDA

View Full Version : Eldar - 1,000pts.

Spiv
08-26-2010, 02:16 PM
With this list, I'm trying to go for an all comers, with more emphasis on heavy troops and vehicles.

Unit/Upgrades/Points.

HQ:
Farseer/Doom, Singing Spear/ 83

TROOPS:
Dire Avengers x6 / Exarch w/ Bladestorm & x2 Catapults / 104
Storm Guardians x10 / None / 80
Rangers x5 / None / 95

ELITES:
Striking Scorpions x6 / Exarch w/ Biting Blade, Shadowstrike / 133
Wraithguard x4 / Transport / 140
---> Wave Serpent / Twin-linked Missile Launchers / 120

FAST ATTACK:
Warp Spiders x5 / Exarch w/ Spinneret Rifle / 127

HEAVY SUPPORT:
Fire Prism (Nightspinner) / None / 115

Total: 997

The farseer, for the most part, will keep the wraithguard company. The storm guardians are there because I wanted a third scoring unit, and they offered a cheap solution for alot of bodies. I'm quite particular to warp spiders and wraithguard (though I know the latter are quite the point sink) so I don't think I'll be replacing them.
Depending on what I'm fighting, the nightspinner will be taken over the prism. I've proxied a few games with it, and it has performed better then the fire prism did. But I do like those prisms.

The plan is really to make the enemy worry with the spiders going in quick, followed by the wraiths, while the avengers/guardians jog up the board. I've used spiders enough to know that their ability to move in a fancy fashion paired with assault 2, str. 6 weapons (regardless of AP) are quite the annoyance. The nightspinner is a support unit for these two.

The rangers and scorpions will be paired close together close, if not on, an objective. Most likely close to middle board so they can be supported and I can leave the more prone to death guardians at a further back one.

The wraiths are my main anti-armour unit, supported by their transport and the farseers singing spear, if needed. Should things get heavy for them, the spinner has the range to offer more support, while the spiders would fallback and assist with one of the capturing units.

The glaring weakness (to me) is the lack of a holofield. I would be inclined to drop a wraith to get the upgrade, but with the range of the nightspinners gun, I'm hoping not to need it to often.

davel
08-27-2010, 12:43 AM
never enough points with eldar,even with 1500pts.

My thoughts
If you are going to run with farseer supporting wraiths then better power would be guide as they wound on 2+ not 3's. I run with a similar unit this power is also useful for anti tank work. I concede that doom is more flexible ( greater range and useful to the rest of your amy apart from spiders who have high strength anyway).
on my unit I keep transport cheap as it should be rushing towards a target. If you are desperate for some long range you can use guardian defenders instead of storm. they won't hit as often but will be able to shoot more
. In tournie situation a warlock is worth considering as it gives the unit more flexibility, enhance makes them O.K. at assault, destructor gives them some antihorde. conceal I tend to leave as most of the time they are in tank or in cover.
i run with wraith at 1500 because they last longer than dragons how ever you will get
dragons are cheaper and kill tanks more reliably ( and can have a flamer).

Oh I tend to take runes of warding but then I mostly play 1500

O.K. troops your DA. A ran a unit like this at a tournie once and the result was either 1) enemy avoided/bypassed them or 2) blasted them from to little bits from afar.

If your plan is to use them to hold the back objective the defend and shimmersheild with strict go to ground policy may be more effective. They will need a back up assault unit to come rescue them.
with out a transport I doubt you will get a lot of use from blade storm.

I think jetbikes may be a better choice you don't have much mobility in your troop section 5 or 6 tend to work well.

night spinner is an unknown quantity would love to hear how it performs.

Dave L

dvs1
08-27-2010, 03:42 AM
For what its worth, heres my two yen. First off, I like the use of spiders. I never see them much, and they're by far my most favoritest aspect. I think you should think about dual spinners vs the spineret rifle though. The rifle is awesome to give versatility, but goes opposite of what the rest of the squad are good at meaning no. of shots. If you do the math I believe they're not to far apart vs meq. At first I thought your DA setup would include a falcon, but alas it did not. In that case, perhaps saving the points on the exarch may yield two more basic troopers....they die far too fast for me without the help of a transport. On that note, bladestorm kinda been a double edged sword with my avengers. Yeah, they put out an insane amount of shots once or twice a battle, but become quite useless for the other half. I think I now prefer them to be able to shoot every turn, rather then the latter. Don't know if you have the models, but FD do a much better at job than WG. Mostly cause they so much cheaper and have melta. Use your serpent to block LOS since they lack the resilience of the guard. I think you'll be ok w/out holofields though. Since the spinner is barrage, can't you just park it behind some deep cover and plug away?

Spiv
08-27-2010, 02:59 PM
For what its worth, heres my two yen. First off, I like the use of spiders. I never see them much, and they're by far my most favoritest aspect. I think you should think about dual spinners vs the spineret rifle though. The rifle is awesome to give versatility, but goes opposite of what the rest of the squad are good at meaning no. of shots. If you do the math I believe they're not to far apart vs meq. At first I thought your DA setup would include a falcon, but alas it did not. In that case, perhaps saving the points on the exarch may yield two more basic troopers....they die far too fast for me without the help of a transport. On that note, bladestorm kinda been a double edged sword with my avengers. Yeah, they put out an insane amount of shots once or twice a battle, but become quite useless for the other half. I think I now prefer them to be able to shoot every turn, rather then the latter. Don't know if you have the models, but FD do a much better at job than WG. Mostly cause they so much cheaper and have melta. Use your serpent to block LOS since they lack the resilience of the guard. I think you'll be ok w/out holofields though. Since the spinner is barrage, can't you just park it behind some deep cover and plug away?

I wasn't sure if it was barrage. If it is, then that saves some worrying.

Again like I said, I enjoy the wraiths and I'm prone to using units that don't see the light of day too often (at least where I play).

I may drop the exarch upgrades, but keep him, unless dropping him can get me some better stuff, simply because they'll be objective horders.

My other thoughts were to drop the storm guardians, make up the 15 point gap, and put defender's in with a brightlance for a long range anti-tank, that can squat a rear-board objective.

Davel: Like I said, I proxied the nightspinner in games and it didn't wound out right, but if you get some units earlier, they're good as dead, as they will have to move - that's where all it's wounds came from, was the dangerous test. I'm gonna proxy again, before committing to building it for the list, and hopefully it performs just as well.

I think I might go with the jetbikes. I have a squad of 4 with a cannon, never liked them, but lately I'm coming around.

davel
08-28-2010, 12:45 AM
the trick with both bikes and spiders is remember they can jump back. Sounds obvious but the number of times i lost or seen these units lost when they could get to safety is beyond belief.

dave l

Spiv
09-02-2010, 10:43 PM
Ok, I got sometime this week to go over the list. I've made some changes based on suggestions. I replaced the guardians with jetbikes but could only fit 4 due to model restrictions.
HQ:
Farseer/Guide, Singing Spear/ 78

TROOPS:
Dire Avengers x6 / Exarch w/ x2 Catapults / 89
Jetbikes x4 / Shuriken cannon / 98
Rangers x5 / None / 95

ELITES:
Striking Scorpions x6 / Exarch w/ Biting Blade, Shadowstrike, Stalker / 138

FAST ATTACK:
Warp Spiders x5 / Exarch w/ x2 Deathspinners / 127

HEAVY SUPPORT:
Fire Prism (Nightspinner) / None / 115

Total: 1,000

If I could both point wise and model wise, I would put another jet bike in. As it is, I'm gonna have to get my bikes out of their 12 year hibernation and fix/repaint them.

Legoklods
09-03-2010, 02:54 AM

Face-palm...
If you've ever made the error of buying wraithguards your best option is to sell them...:)
Maybe if you can get enough money you should consider a wraith lord...

davel
09-04-2010, 12:00 AM
The list looks completive.
as always the joy/pain of the codex is squeezing those extra points for the last want list this is what i would do (though easier said than done)

wave serpent, swap missiles for shuriken catapult but add a spirit stone
I'd experiment with dropping shuriken cannon on the JB to make them 5 man
scorpions I'd want the claw ( love the model, love the fluff but Meq are just to common a foe)

dave l