PDA

View Full Version : planet strike stratagems

blueshift
08-16-2009, 11:38 PM
this codex looks to be a bit nuts.

have you guys played it yet?

what do you think are the best stratagems?

Pariah Stevo
08-17-2009, 05:33 PM
There is a attacker strategum that let's you 'respawn' one troop choice....Nob Bikers....giggidy:D Yes it is pretty nuts, but you gotta remember it's not designed for competitive play. It is designed to be fun, not fair.

Levitas
08-17-2009, 08:32 PM
I've played a few games. I like it. The strategems can be hit or miss. The one that lets you recycle a squad is a must for IG. I also enjoyed deep striking a vindi with the heavy drop one.

In general its fun, but frantic. The book made me think that the attackers have the upper hand, but after a few games I don't see that as the case. Defenders have it so far, but i'm still tinkering with lists. I know 30 fleeting termies will do well...:cool:

imperialsavant
08-17-2009, 08:48 PM
this codex looks to be a bit nuts.

have you guys played it yet?

what do you think are the best stratagems?

;) Only played one game so far & had a LOT of discussion on Drop Zone & set ups before we got going. Its pretty vague in lots of ways but I think its going to be a fun game never the less.

On Stratagems we found the 2 best so far were the Void Shields for the Defender & the Attackers one where he can roll 2 x D6 for his Firestorm instead of 1 D6.

That Firestorm can be Awesome!

Crotch Lictor
08-18-2009, 01:34 PM
In my first game as Attacker we had 3 points for stratagems. I used the Forward Observer and the Nid special stratagem. I got to say, the Forward Observer gem was great. Rerolling ALL scatter dice (as long as the target is in view of the FO) was really handy at the beginning. I rolled a 6 for the firestorm and rerolls on 9 bombardments was awesome. I knocked out 2 tanks, a defiler, a dread and some troops in beginninng of the game. Afterwards, all the scatter weapons pretty much had rerolls as well as any Deep strikers. It's really powerul if used correctly.

In my case, my opponent never came within the 6" of the FO marker to have it removed, but it should be protected to be really effective.

thecactusman17
08-20-2009, 02:12 PM
The best "all-comers" strategem for attackers is definitely Scorched Skies (2d6 firestorm, -2 ld for enemies). But the benefit of strategems is that they are selected after looking at your opponent's open list (PS should ALWAYS be open list--it's the only way to be prepared appropriately and it's fluffy as well). The dawn assault (night fight during deployment turn) is also very useful for assault armies like eldar.

The best defenders strategem is one of the dirty tricks: Escape hatch allows your static force to suddenly be highly mobile, 18 inches plus movement plus charge--30 inches of assault space for most, 31-36 for nids and eldar.

A close second is DZ denial, allowing you to castle an army on one board edge. Remember! Without DZ denial, NONE of the edges are safe.

Levitas
08-21-2009, 06:50 AM
Agree that escape hatch is great. Put CC termies in a bastion then pile out (even better when they are Raven Guard termies that can fleet)

I played a guy who put nothing on the table and a void shield on his objective. Needless to say the fire storm stage was a bit quiet.

I like the imperial one that lets you reverse a teleportation. Nice when playing Chaos space marines and termies who die if they pass their save. Not so good against orks or kroot...

Rangerrob
08-21-2009, 07:12 AM
I liked Las-Maze for the defender. Line of dangerous terrain can be quite beneficial.

blueshift
08-21-2009, 09:23 AM
have any of you marine players that have defended taken 6 heavy support slots yet?

i am drooling over this prospect. my gaming group is going to play using planet strike in 2 weeks... so i'm probably going to take 3 vindies and 3 land raiders full of terminators.. weeee!

... or 12 devastator squads combat squaded *drool*

what about you attackers? 6 elites? gief moar terminatorz plox

Drew da Destroya
08-21-2009, 03:14 PM
I'm a big fan of the Minefield... and area of Difficult, Dangerous terrain, that doesn't give a cover save? Excellent! All you have to do is wait for your opponent to run a unit once, and things start going Boom. And for 1 strat point, it's a good value.

The Void Shield is really good as well.

I haven't played with too many of the attacker ones, but I like the one that drops wreckage from space... it strikes me as pretty Orky. That, and the one that drops meteors... now if only my boyz could then pile out of those Roks!