PDA

View Full Version : Update to the MediaWiki software?

Morbus Iff
01-30-2018, 07:16 AM
G'day. New user here, also an experienced MediaWiki admin (though I'm not applying to that position right now as my interests rotate with the seasons).

Are there any plans to update the MediaWiki software running Lexicanum? Or, at least, the WHFB/AOS version? Those versions are really old at the moment (4+ years), and there's a lot of benefit to switching over to the better looking Vector skin than the old Monobook one (and also putting the CSS *back* into MediaWiki:Common.css, instead of having it hardcoded at the file level, but I digress).

Morbus Iff
01-30-2018, 10:45 AM
And, in other "huh, that's bizarre", why do the Lexicanum wiki's insist on using their own footnote system instead of using MediaWiki's Cite? The Lexicanum one offers no benefits (and a few detriments) when compared to MW's Cite. My guess, given the age of Lexicanum, is that it was invented before the use of Cite, but we should be willing to move to Cite instead of plowing forward with a bad implementation.

Ashendant
01-30-2018, 02:44 PM
And, in other "huh, that's bizarre", why do the Lexicanum wiki's insist on using their own footnote system instead of using MediaWiki's Cite? The Lexicanum one offers no benefits (and a few detriments) when compared to MW's Cite. My guess, given the age of Lexicanum, is that it was invented before the use of Cite, but we should be willing to move to Cite instead of plowing forward with a bad implementation.

The reason we use the {{Fn|}} an{{Endn|}}, it's because it's more intuitive and easier for first timers to use(this is my opinion). Cite was the standard before, but it was changed at some point in lexi40k, through I don't know the exact reason. I applied the same rule to fantasy lexi.

Morbus Iff
01-30-2018, 04:00 PM
The reason we use the {{Fn|}} an{{Endn|}}, it's because it's more intuitive and easier for first timers to use(this is my opinion). Cite was the standard before, but it was changed at some point in lexi40k, through I don't know the exact reason. I applied the same rule to fantasy lexi.

I'd accept that rationale when measured against the /age/ of the Lexicanum wikis. But: I think the preponderance of MediaWiki's out there nowadays, and the familiarity of folks with how they work (spurred on by wiki farms like Wikia and Gamepedia), makes any reinvention of "core" (in the sense that Cite is very well-known now and typically always installed) plugins exceedingly more confusing than any simplicity promised by something else. I think it's fair to say more people know Cite nowadays than know the Lexicanum reimagine and training them to use something homebrew vs. can-be-used-anywhere could be considered a disservice.

But, I'm also OK with agreeing to disagree.

Ashendant
01-30-2018, 04:05 PM
I'd accept that rationale when measured against the /age/ of the Lexicanum wikis. But: I think the preponderance of MediaWiki's out there nowadays, and the familiarity of folks with how they work (spurred on by wiki farms like Wikia and Gamepedia), makes any reinvention of "core" (in the sense that Cite is very well-known now and typically always installed) plugins exceedingly more confusing than any simplicity promised by something else. I think it's fair to say more people know Cite nowadays than know the Lexicanum reimagine and training them to use something homebrew vs. can-be-used-anywhere could be considered a disservice.

But, I'm also OK with agreeing to disagree.

Most people we get don't know how to cite to begin with. A lot of the older articles don't have any sources whatsoever, which is somewhat proof of this situation.

So yeah, agree to disagree.

Gene
02-12-2018, 01:02 PM
Well, the German Lex is even more antique. But yeah, there will be a time to move on. Some day.