PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on the new Skorne Book?

stampdog316
08-29-2010, 02:57 PM
Has anyone played or played against Skorne since the new book was released? Were there any big surprises or challenges in the new rules? I have not faced a Skorne army in 2 yrs since I don't get a chance to play much anymore.

Lux
08-30-2010, 08:23 AM
The most visible "threat" from MkII Skorne is Molik Kharn with either version of Makeda or Xerxis. The guy can get something like a 14" or 15" threat range with sidestep on top of it. The fact is, Molik is becoming the crutch for many Skorne players. He's overshadowing the fact that so much of the rest of the faction is very solid.

They're still more of a defensive, buffing, synergistic faction. The weakness remains limited access to pathfinder/all-terrain. If you can take out Saxon Orric and/or the Tyrant Commander & Standard early, they don't have much that can move through terrain.

Lux

McNs
10-05-2010, 09:32 PM
Hi stampdog316:

As a Skorne player in Mk I and Mk II, a lot has changed, but a lot hasn't. As with any addition change, core rules changes make somethings that haven't changed more exciting. Likewise, several things have had their rolls significantly changed.

Cases in point:

- Paingiver Beast Handlers are now very common (as in: Choir of Menoth common) as beasts have become much more common due to the advent of beast points. Moreover, most beasts/warjacks got a +1 MAT/+1 RAT increase across the board (and lots of infantry had their DEF dropped) - this makes warbeasts much more viable. As such, cheap models that can heal, grant free charges, or help manage Fury are very popular.

- We have more options for Pathfinder in Mk II and terrain is less restrictive than in MK I (i.e. - you can still charge in rough terrain, just suffer the movement penalty). We're where Menoth was - we rely on a solo to get Pathfinder (rather than the Mk I "Trees, our mortal foe" Skorne).

- Skorne generally are attrition based, but they have first strike options. I like to think of them as a mix of different parts Menoth and Cryx - some of our stuff gets better as it dies, but mostly, it helps get us souls to help our damage output. Speaking of which, Ancestral Guardians are no longer the beasts they were in Mk I. Still good, just no longer autoinclude,

- pMorghul got better; eMorghul got more finessed. Pretty much every warlock bar eMorghul does about what they did in Mk I. eMorghul now focuses on getting himself into melee rather than blinding the enemy's army and letting his army kill them.

- Titan Gladiators are one of the best beasts in the game. Titan Sentries, new Titans with Shields, Reach weapons, and a solid defensive animus, are also quite good. Kreas got their old aura as their new animus.

- Molik Karn is obscene. He's only 11 pts (think ~120 pts in Mk I), but should be closer to 13 pts. He can charge. depending on who's supporting him, anywhere from 11" - 13" (so threatening 13" - 15"), without forcing, for a P+S 15+ weapon master attack. After hitting, he can move 2" (ignoring free strikes) and hit something else with an initial attack. He can then move again. No, the model he hits doesn't have to be an enemy.

What's insult to injury is his animus: you get to move after all other models in your army have moved. So charge in, kill a ton of models, then walk away from reprisal. Truly, a silly model.

Hope this helps!

- McNs