PDA

View Full Version : A revised "List of ... books" page

Morbus Iff
01-30-2018, 06:09 PM
Ashendant, et. al.:

I'm nearing the half-way mark on my desired revision to the List of Age of Sigmar book pages, here:

http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/User:Morbus_Iff/Better_Books

Besides switching it to the Lexicanum footnote system (it's currently using Cite), any comments or thoughts on it?

Hate it? Like it? Don't care? Suggestions for revision? "Don't you dare replace the old page with it"? Etc.

Ashendant
01-31-2018, 12:14 PM
Ashendant, et. al.:

I'm nearing the half-way mark on my desired revision to the List of Age of Sigmar book pages, here:

http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/User:Morbus_Iff/Better_Books

Besides switching it to the Lexicanum footnote system (it's currently using Cite), any comments or thoughts on it?

Hate it? Like it? Don't care? Suggestions for revision? "Don't you dare replace the old page with it"? Etc.

You can't replace the old list with it, because doing it by covers is better as an intro than a heavy text list. But we definitely need more a more detailed list to exist in the Lexicanum, an there's not reason why multiple lists with different formats can't exist.

Specific issues I have with this list is the following:
* Type and series shouldn't come first. It should be name or published by date, with date making most sense since this list is auto sorted by that info. My personal suggestion would be Date, Name, Series, Type, Author.
* There are no Battletomes, Audiobooks, Rulebooks and other types on this list.
* It need to be coloured to be made more similar to other tables, through honestly there are no rules on color, which is something that will have to be worked on later.

Otherwise I like it very much and the extra details are always nice.

Morbus Iff
01-31-2018, 12:49 PM
You can't replace the old list with it, because doing it by covers is better as an intro than a heavy text list.

Agree to disagree :)

Very few wikis do aggregate book lists like that and it becomes incredibly bandwidth heavy (and less useful) the more covers are on the page. Though, honestly, I'd be perfectly OK having a single page that included the tabular list at the top and then a Cover Gallery at the bottom with all the covers in it. Would that work for you? All three Lex's have more book lists that are just straight text, no covers, copies from Wikipedia instead of cover-based.

Alternatively, we could add the cover images to each row too.

There are no Battletomes, Audiobooks, Rulebooks and other types on this list.

Ergo my comment about being "half-way" done. Definitely will be added. Audiobooks are already in there.

It need to be coloured to be made more similar to other tables, through honestly there are no rules on color, which is something that will have to be worked on later.

Yeah, at this point, I'm using "wikitable" for the CSS class, because that includes the inner cell lines that make the table actually readable. Whoever put all the CSS at the theme level just didn't think to override those values too, color-wise. If you remove the "wikitable" class, though, we get all the colors, but the table becomes very unreadable, given the wealth of data that's there - it's hard to scan across and stay on the same line.

Morbus Iff
01-31-2018, 01:12 PM
Hybrid example now available. Includes your column repositioning, as well as cover images included in the row itself.

Ashendant
02-01-2018, 12:53 PM
Hybrid example now available. Includes your column repositioning, as well as cover images included in the row itself.

It looks great by me, this way might even replace the one we currently have. Through if I do so I will have to create a another List just for Battletomes and Supplements.