PDA

View Full Version : Weapon loadouts

Noxx
08-29-2010, 03:25 PM
So I'm about to dive headlong into fantasy after a fairly long and happy exclusive relationship with 40k, and I'm wondering what the general consensus on equipping regiments is?

I'm going to start warriors of chaos, and my general intent is to get as much customisation and individuality within the regiments as possible - some great weapons, some additional hand weapons, some shields, etc. So, personally I'd quite like to field regiments that within themselves contain a good mix of weapons. Is this a) viable b) permitted c) sensible? I'm sure there's some optimum loadouts to use, but that's not really what I'm looking for - more just what the general consensus is about what works, what's allowed, and what's fair.

I'm coming at this as a complete fantasy newbie, so I'm interested in *anything* players have to say about how to kit out your regiments. Hit me!

Fizyx
08-30-2010, 07:49 PM
One rule in Fantasy is that a regiment has to be equipped identically. Characters within the unit can be different, but the troops themselves have to be the same.

Furthermore, in 8th edition you no longer can switch between different weapons (with the exception of lances and the first round of combat) between different combats.

Warriors of Chaos is a good choice though :D

Dwarflord17404
08-30-2010, 09:15 PM
Regardless of the army I have found these basic tennats to be true :

You win by disrupting your oppenent's game plan. Know thy foe

Another path to victory is great swathes of damage to your oppenents army. As a chaos player you can choose magic or close combat.

That being said you need a way to deal with war machines and enemy casters I recomde maurder horseman.

For diversty you could run throgg who is a troll hero that makes troll core.

I think you also need a hammer unit chosen seem to be the flavor of the day

also a warshrine for that all important eye of the god

Maybe some thing like this @ 2k " Pantheon"

Lord sword of swift slaying, shield, armour of destiny, favour of the gods
Exaalted bsb blasted standard , extra hand weapon
13 chosen of tzench full command great weapons

15 warriors full command mark of knorne addtional hand weapons

15 warriors full command shields

6 maured horseman muscian, throwing spears, mark of slanesh

3 trolls of chaos

warshrine

6 war hounds

Level 2 tzench wizard ona disk with power familer
(lore of death)

That gives you diversity, a way to deal with warmachines either running the down or using as a screen, a hammer unit, an alternate hammer, a wizard . Should be fun.

Noxx
08-31-2010, 04:26 AM
Great responses, cheers guys. Slightly disappointed to hear that the regiment needs to be equipped uniformly, but I guess it's just an excuse to get more regiments :D

Are Chaos Knights worth the points? I'm kind of in love with the models.

Old_Paladin
08-31-2010, 09:02 AM
Well, the technical rules is that all models within the unit must fight as if all armed with the same weapon. The actual models can be done with different weapons (generally, more then half the unit should be modelled with the real weapon of the unit).

So, if you want your units of warriors to have handweapons and shields, then a few of them could still have additional weapons or great weapons for the look, but they'd have to fight with the rules of the hand weapon and shield combo.
There are only two units in the game that break this rule; black orcs and troll slayers. These units can fight with several different choices, which are determined at the start of a melee (and cannot be changed until completely out of melee), and the whole unit must still fight with the same weapon type.

Knights are... still really mean units, but are not solitary killers any more.
They are a toughness 4, strength 5 magical attack, with fear and a 1+ armour save. They have multiple attacks (plus a very dangerous steed); with a mark of khorne (probably the best one for the knights) they get even more attacks.
It's not worth it to go for big units; but as a hammer unit in a combo (such as a small frontage, deep unit of marauders to break steadfast), they can do very well. Against other 'elite' units, like units 5-10 empire knights, coldones, blood-dragons, etc. they can usually do a lot more damage then they'll take back and can wipeout or break these smaller forces.

Also, if you just really like the models, have them count as a champion in a unit of normal warriors. The knight is the unit champ and the steed is the warrior behind him.

L192837465
08-31-2010, 12:39 PM
If you make a chaos army without the black tongue and the puppet, you shouldn't play warhammer.

Also, a block of 40 warriors, 10 wide and 4 deep with gw and the mark of khorne will ruin peoples days.

Slap 2 or 3 warshrines behind em and they'll be stubborn with a 4+ ward save, plus whatever other bonus' they get from the other two shrines.

Oyerbides
08-31-2010, 12:51 PM
40 warriors with GW and Mark of Khorne would be like 800 points (yes I am exaggerating a bit). With the new-old way of doing characters, you would have like one unit and some characters as your army.

Old_Paladin
08-31-2010, 01:03 PM
If you make a chaos army without the black tongue and the puppet, you shouldn't play warhammer.

Also, a block of 40 warriors, 10 wide and 4 deep with gw and the mark of khorne will ruin peoples days.

Slap 2 or 3 warshrines behind em and they'll be stubborn with a 4+ ward save, plus whatever other bonus' they get from the other two shrines.

I've never understood why people are so gung-ho about greatweapons and khorne.
Warriors are init 5, why would you want to lose that to ASL? I like the halberd. Everyone gets the +1 (which brings them to a nice, strong 5), and you will likely hit before almost everyone else
Also, except for the first rank, all the other warriors only get 1 attack, so gain nothing from the mark of Khorne. The mark of nurgle is a lot better for large blocks of warriors. A lot of enemies will have WS:3, being reduced to 2 means they'll need 5+ to hit the WS:5 warriors back.

And don't you need to roll a 10+ or something for the stubborn with ward save result on the eye of gods chart?

Fizyx
08-31-2010, 07:21 PM
And don't you need to roll a 10+ or something for the stubborn with ward save result on the eye of gods chart?

No, you need a 12.

A block of 40 Warriors is borderline insane. I run three blocks of 25 at 3000 points and people look at me askew. It does have its drawbacks vs certain armies, but against others I do very well.

Level 4 Sorcerers of Tzeentch are even more amazing than they were in 6th edition.

Mark of Khorne is still good, but I would not waste it on a horde unit of warriors. If you can break their steadfast and get more kills than them, you're fine. What is the use of killing 15 of them, when you only need to kill 6 or 7 to get a reliable chance to break the unit (assuming you have decent static resolution.)

As it stands, knights are severely over-costed, but still damn awesome. The only reason I don't bring them to competitive games is because I generally play a VP denial strategy, which a 300-500 point unit of knights with 5-8 models generally doesn't fit in. I still run Marauder Horsemen, but 8 of them will cost me under 150 points with upgrades and they're fine for sniping warmachines. This is coming from a guy who used to play a full Cavalry army. Eighth edition really shook things up.

Jenn
09-01-2010, 09:04 AM
I personally run one block of 30 Warriors with Shields, mark of Tzeentch, and Blasted Standard. I back them up with two warshrines of Tzeentch to cover their flanks/ augment the unit. As well as two 5 man units of marauder horsemen to hunt down warmachines and flank/ rear charge enemies. I also have a mounted lvl 2 sorceror of slaanesh (W/ 4+ ward talisman) controlling the board and a lvl 3 Sorceror of Tzeentch chilling in the block.

This build is all about victory point denial and more often than not the only units I will lose over the course of the game are the horsemen. At least that's the theory. Honestly I have only played 5 games of Fantasy so far and am still a bit of a nub. 4 of those games have been with this list and I have tabled my opponent in two of the games and still massacred the opponent the other two. So take this as you will.

I won my first fantasy tournament with this list getting a massacre all three games (tabling my opponents first and final rounds)

The look on all their faces when they were beat into the ground by a nub, much less a girl... Priceless. :)

Noxx
09-05-2010, 03:33 PM
Made a trip to my local store on saturday to pick up the first elements for my army, was lucky enough to win one of the old beastmen regiment boxes in their "yay island of blood" prize draw, which I'm probably going to counts-as as more Marauders down the line.

What I'm looking at so far is this:

Exalted Hero with Chaos Runesword, Shield, Bloodcurdling Roar, and probably MoK

12 Warriors, full command, *probably* hand weapon and shield, undecided about marks but thinking Tzeentch for the improved ward save (?), some kind of magic banner

16 Marauders with GW and MoK, full command, some kind of exciting magic banner

Marauder Horsies are probably next on the purchase order, and some kind of Sorceror - would quite like to make one from the empire wizards kit, unsure how the end result of that would look, but want to avoid clunky metal models. I'll also make up that box of freebie beastmen at some stage as hand weapon and shield Marauders for friendly games.

Any thoughts? I'm kind of picturing my unit of Warriors sitting in the middle of my battle line, shrugging off damage with their armour and shields and tieing up the enemy while I send the Marauders and Hero after anything they can handle. I'll probably bulk out the Warriors to 15 with one of those push-fit boxes for this purpose.

Fizyx
09-05-2010, 06:06 PM
It is definitely a good start, but I do have a few comments.

Marauders can not take magic banners. If you want a magic banner, you'll have to use a BSB (which I have done before to great effect.)

You need three non-character units to have a legal army, so you'll definitely want to pick up the Marauder Horsemen pretty soon. They are a solid purchase anyways.

With the purchase of the Horsemen, you should be able to field a 750 point list pretty easily, and something you can easily expand on.

Noxx
09-05-2010, 07:18 PM
Ah yes, my mistake. The basic standard still seems like a cheap, worthwhile upgrade, so I'll go for that. Marauder horsemen in 2-3 weeks, which should be enough time to model and paint up what I've got with my schedule :)